Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Were The Doors The Most Perfect Band?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by taxer, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I advice you not to interpret the song at all, just enjoy the music ... But if you must know, the song was a tribute to Swedish queen Silvia when she was about to marry King Carl Gustaf.

2. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Rock lyrics don't often hold up outside the context of the song, and they don't need to. I just think that calling Morrison a "poet"is ridiculous. Most Doors lyrics are only about as deep as a glass of brown liquor.

I'm just picking with the grammar stuff, but the part about bungling the syntax to force that horrible rhyme is serious.

3. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    I think Dancing Queen features one of the finest bass guitar performances in popular music.

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Some poems rhyme; others don't. But, then again, who was calling Jim a poet? Not me. I don't care if he was or wasn't a poet, as I'm not particularly fond of poets or poetry. I view him as a rock lyricist. But neither poetry or rock lyrics should be restricted by the grammatical rules you're trying to force upon them.

Sometimes Jim's lyrics were deep. Other times, they were just horny. I think people are more offended by the shallow hordes who have gone gaga over Jim's "deepness" and "poetry," thinking their love for him would make them deep, than by anything about the words themselves. It's like artsy fartsy sheep back in the day who liked the Talking Heads because they were "intellectual." Right band; wrong reason.

5. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo

6. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

May 18, 2013
    NC
    In other words, you suddenly realize that if you post a bunch of your favorites, it will be just as easy to point out how shallow their lyrics are too.

I have some news for you, pal: we are talking about rock and roll, a genre in which 99.9% of the lyrics are not even close to being considered serious poetry. Nor need they be.

Here are some lines for you to ponder:

"I want to hold your hand"
    "All you need is love"
    "Foxy lady I think I love you"
    "I wish you were here"
    something or other about Gollum

And those examples are from bands considered by many to be among the very best in the entire history of rock. What does that tell you? This is not a trick question, people.

There have been very few REAL poets in rock music. Paul Simon is the first name that comes to mind. Dylan's earlier stuff. Maybe a few others here and there, but they are clearly the exceptions, rather than the rule.

So get real. All this pretense is distasteful, and it became trolling a while ago. Repeating the same faux criticism gets you nowhere, and just makes you look like a pompous jerk.

If you don't like the Doors, then at least have the maturity to move on. You don't see me trolling other people's threads about some hilariously cheesy country artists, do you? Talk about awful music with no substance (sure, some country guitarists are good, but the songwriting and lyrics are as cheesy as anything ever written in the history of mankind).

7. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Like I said, I'm just picking with the grammar stuff, but forcing that rhyme via non-standard syntax for the sake of a meaningless and trite non-sequitur is super lazy, whether it's poetry or lyrics. It's obviously done for the sake of the rhyme, but why? There is no "there" there to make it worth the awkward phrasing.

I'm just saying Riders on the Storm is a weird choice for Doors lyrics that actually rate.

I agree with you about the other stuff. It's not you saying he's a poet, it's just his archetype in the rock star pantheon.

8. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    You forgot "I want to hold your yellow submarine"

9. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    I don't see the non-sequitur as an issue, and I don't think the line is meaningless. (I'm not in love with it either.) If you want to rag on lines in the song, please choose the ones that precede it : "Girl ya gotta love your man, girl ya gotta love your man/Take him by the hand, make him understand."

10. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

May 18, 2013
    NC
    Agreed 100%.

One of my favorite lines in the history of rock: "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Outside of Simon and Dylan, I hardly ever hear lines that good. Great poetry? Maybe not, but again this is rock-and-roll we are talking about, not Yeats. You'd think people could understand the difference.

Oh, but I forgot that some troll on the internet claims that these lyrics are teeny-bopper doggerel. It's funny how after 37 years I am just now hearing this faux criticism. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

You hit the nail on the head. It's one of the salient flaws of hipsterism: judging a band/artist not by their actual artistic work, but by the kinds of people they perceive as liking that particular band/artist. It's a pathetic form of meta-criticism by people who usually don't know much about music.

It's the same as criticizing the Beatles simply because a lot of teenage girls were into them. It's lame.

11. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    "Like a dog without a bone, an actor out alone"

Poor dog, poor actor! Oh wait, the dog-actor is me/Jim!

The whole song is weak (lyrics-wise). The music is cool, dig the sound effects, but the lyrics are worthless (IMO). Morrison's gift was conveyance, not composition.

I do appreciate your willingness to stick it out in this thread though, Skully.

12. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    It's "an actor out on loan" (in the old days of the Hollywood, actors under contract would be "loaned out" to other studios), which is a good line. "A dog without a bone"... eh... it sets up the next line.

13. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    Trolling definition: someone having an opinion different to yours. See also: ego issues

14. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Feb 15, 2011
    dislocation

15. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

This thread is now comical.

16. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Feb 15, 2011
    dislocation
    perfectly combical, yet let's not take a comb to it

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

this is all part of skully's diabolical plan to create a 300 page thread which because of its 'holmes-esque' size, it is symbolic of the artistic importance of the Doors.

If you truly revile the Doors, you should not respond, if you do, you are only help prove their import.

18. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Feb 15, 2011
    dislocation
    i merely wish to endorse gb's cleverly worded statement that needs no enddoorsment

19. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    Hmm .. a double bind. Crafty.

20. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Feb 15, 2011
    dislocation

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.