Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Were The Doors The Most Perfect Band?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by taxer, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

thats your opinion.

not mine.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

this thread is the ABBA of threads.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    and play my pink hello kitty guitar.

that would probably complete the stereotype.

4. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

May 18, 2013
    NC
    I cracked up when I read this utter nonsense.

So who are some of your favorite bands/artists?

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

there is a stereotype?

I had no idea! my sisters and mom went to Vegas a few years ago to see a musical about ABBA, they loved it!

I loved the ABBA BB King duets album!

6. markbastable

markbastable Tele-Meister

Jun 20, 2010
    London

I tend to agree with that. Especially concerning the lyrics which, while not as bad as Abba's, were absolutely excruciating.

7. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Which lyrics are those? Are you going to quote some select lines from "The Soft Parade"?

My point exactly!

8. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    well, what can I say. Different strokes for different folks and all that. I'm a hard rock-rockabilly guitar player, and I think the Doors were mostly silly, a few good songs but pretty much forgettable, and I dig the hell out of Abba.

So there you go.

9. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Have you guys ever read "No Exit"?

10. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    The killer awoke before dawn
    He put his boots on
    He took a face from the ancient gallery
    And he walked on down the hall
    He went to the room where his sister lived
    And then he paid a visit to his brother
    And then he walked on down the hall
    And he came to a door,and he looked inside
    "Father?" - "Yes, son?" - "I want to kill you,
    Mother, I want to..."

We were all 13 once.

Why ask what I like? Presumably because you can then see it as a reflection of my poor taste thus rendering me opinion invalid? It doesn't work like that, sorry.

I have pretty eclectic taste - everything from ABBA to Zap Mama. In fact I make room for most music, and something has to be excruciatingly bad for me to not like it. Jus' saying.

11. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    A bit pretentious when viewed today, but not bad and, overall, the song is quite an achievement. Haunting, mesmerizing, etc. A song with a verse about Oedipal murder running 11;40 min. on a hit pop album in 1967? It was pretty revolutionary. His father Rear Admiral George Stephen Morrison was commander of the U.S. naval forces in the Gulf of Tonkin during the Gulf of Tonkin Incident of August 1964, which "set off what is known as the Vietnam War." Needless to say, his longhair son had some daddy issues. (If you look at big rock stars, most have very troubled relationships with their dads and idealized mothers. It's like the arithmetic for rock & roll stardom. Jim just takes it one step farther.)

12. sir humphrey

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    Maybe one step too far! It is a good arrangement - just find the words a bit cringy.

Riders on the Storm is good though - I'll give them that. I'm sure Jim's ghost is relieved to hear that ;-)

13. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    To me the cord progression (especially the bridge/refrain), but first and foremost the bass line (which sort of carries the whole song - along with the drums) makes "Dancing Queen" a perfect pop song.

The "Mamma Mia" version highlights Rutger Gunnarson's bass playing even more than ABBA's original, and I'm sure James Jamerson in his bass heaven nods his head in appreciation. And please forget about the lyrics ...

14. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Ironically, given my role here as Doors defender, although I like "Riders on the Storm" okay, the cocktail lounge piano and pacing grates on me a bit.

15. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    I think the song works better if it is (wrongly) interpreted as a song about a teenage boy coming out.

This isn't exactly what I was looking for, but...

Some things can't be unseen!

16. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    "The world on you depends, our life will never end" is pretty rough.

The problem with the first half should be obvious. The second half has some adjective-noun disagreement. Why on earth would a lyricist twist the syntax of the first phrase to rhyme with something as bland and unimaginative as the second phrase, especially since they are non-sequitur?

Not trying to bag on the group, they're just fine (perfect, I don't know), but Morrison is no Dylan Thomas, no matter how drunk he liked to get.

17. sir humphrey

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    I'm obviously not a natural Doors fan!

Actually, I don't hate them as much as I make out - maybe just "Internet hate" them. You know, the way you have to put hyperbole into your statements just because your discussing something on a forum. (CF this entire thread)

But I do find most of the lyrics a bit adolescent, and Riders on the Storm is one of the better ones in that respect.

18. sir humphrey

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    It's all relative. When my 6 year old gets a line to scan, I pay her on the head.

19. sir humphrey

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    "Pat", not pay, obviously. That would be weird.

Jim Morrison weird.

20. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Great insight... if you're looking to hire a copy editor!

Wow, just... wow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.