Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Were The Doors The Most Perfect Band?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by taxer, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taxer

taxer Banned

May 11, 2009
    new york
    The Beatles were the best band there ever was, but even Beatle nuts like myself recognize that the lead guitar player was never outstanding (he got better as the group progressed).

The Stones? Weak bass player, interchangeable guitarists (Brian, Mick Taylor, Woody...) and the band still thrived prove that anyone could have filled that roll. The Who? All solid players, but not as good as The Doors foursome.

The Doors had:

1 - an insanely great and creative drummer (he was schooled in jazz).
    2 - an inventive keyboardist who did not do the usual keyboard supplying background chord stuff. His keys WERE the song.
    3 - a guitarist who is the single most-underrated player in rock. Ever think flamenco finger picking would work in a rock setting? Krieger made it mind blowing.
    4 - obviously an iconic frontman that is still the template many bands try to follow

So The Doors are one of the rare bands that had all the parts perfect. Probably the only one.

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I could agree with that. They were so different, even for the wild and wacky '60s. They may not have been the greatest musicians, but relative to artistic vision, I think they were likely without equal.

3. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Feb 15, 2011
    dislocation
    you mean apart from Led Zeppelin?

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Somebody on Facebook yesterday said "RIP Ray Manzarek, best part of the Doors by a mile"

I really, really disagreed with that.

You need all 4 members to make the Doors magic. They are all the best part of the group

5. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2011
    McPherson, KS
    Yea hard to argue that. I guess you have to put in context what "perfect" is. I'm guessing this will turn out to be a very lively discussion....

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    i respectfully object: the Beatles lead guitar player was indeed outstanding.

7. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Feb 15, 2011
    dislocation
    and a pretty good songwriter

8. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2012
    Pacific Rim USA
    I have a hard time saying one bands better or more perfect than another but I always thought the Doors had an interesting thing going with the piano bass instead of a bass player. Manzarek was a real talent.

9. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Feb 15, 2011
    dislocation
    yes indeed, tight but loose

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Dec 22, 2011
    GA
    Nah give it to Pink Floyd.

11. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    +1

And although perhaps Bill Wyman played lines that a "great" bass player would not have, that is one of the charming elements of the Stone's sound.

12. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2009
    Bavarian Iller Delta
    There were times in my younger days when i really thought the Doors must be the best band ever .
    Maybe they were not .

Like the Beatles they were one of those fragile phenomena in Rock'nRoll music .
    Loved their music .

13. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

Agreed.

I liked the Doors as a teen, then found the lyrics to be a bit "teen" as I grew....and not in a flattering way. Doubt there'd be so much attention if Jim Morrison looked like Jim Nabors. Just my opinion.

They did have a great keyboard player. Found Krieger's tone too thin and sitar like for my tastes.

14. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2010
    London England
    Funny to start a thread like this, and then name immediately the Beatles, Stones, and the Who, as bands that are less 'perfect' than the Doors. Asking for trouble.

15. taxer

taxer Banned

May 11, 2009
    new york
    Nah, come on, Doors individual players blow away Zep's individual players.

1 - you really want to compare Manzarek behind the keys to John Paul Jones? Really?

2 - Morrison is the quintessential frontman. There is no question about that. He had the look, the captivating stage persona, and his lyrics were aiming for something a lot higher than Plan't idiotic "the winds of Thor are blowing cold." My God, when I listen to Zeppelin I do it for comedic entertainment. Doesn't Plant have a song about Mordor? :lol:

3 - Page does not beat out Krieger simply because 90% of the licks I have heard from Page, I have heard he stole them from others. "Whole Lotta Love," "Dazed And Confused," "Stairway To Heaven,"...go to youtube and hear how Page completely ripped off other guitarists. Krieger was an original through and through. Flamenco finger picking on a Gibson SG? Ain't no one done that before.

4 - Bonham was all effects. Take out that massive studio reverb from "When The Levee Breaks" and you'll see Bonham was nothing but a studio enhanced guy who simply banged on some drum skins. Densmore played the smallest kit around and knew exactly how to support a song. Great rolls, great fills. And no ten minute drum solo! For that alone Bonham ranks as one of rock's biggest jokes. Did he really think we weren't bored after the first thirty seconds of those solos?

16. taxer

taxer Banned

May 11, 2009
    new york
    No he wasn't.

Listen to George's solos. 90% of them simply ape the vocal melody line. That's what a teen learning guitar does.

He got better, no doubt, but for the first six or so years with The Beatles, Harrison's solos were simple and atrocious. I defy you to listen to his work on "Dizzie Miss Lizzie." The most horrible lead playing/support playing I have ever heard.

17. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Interesting discussion, but I will take the position that the premise is flawed. If we are talking about rock BANDS, something with synergy, the best ones are MUCH better than the sum of their parts.

18. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The Doors were one of the bands whose records I would buy without even hearing them first.

19. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    I don't think they were the perfect band by any means, but I think they were one of the most unique for sure.

20. taxer

taxer Banned

May 11, 2009
    new york
    The sitar-like tone and vibe was his strength. Aren't you sick and tired of every guitaist claiming to be blues based? Upper class white Brit guitarists going on and on about feeling the blues. Sickening. Krieger had a unigue sound and tone that was so very different to what the poseurs at that time were doing. Cream with Clapton pretending to be Robert Johnson or Krieger being Krieger on his Doors tunes, who was the truer performer?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.