Welsher or Welcher?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Frank'n'censed, May 24, 2019.

What would you do in this situation?

1. 1. Continue the relationship as is, while checking in with a shrink.

2. 4. With friends like him, hire a hit man, (his last name’s Italian). Yes, I’m kidding

3. 3. Finally confront him for the money, mentioning the other 2 witnesses & bet details, trying to

4. Hire a hit man, (his last name’s Italian).

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

"A Bronx Tale", haha!!

I had a friend who always asked to borrow $20, then repay $5 or $10 before asking for another $20. I can't even estimate how much he actually owed me over a few years of this. The last straw was when he begged $50 dollars from me, then tried to sell me weed he bought with my money hahaha!!!
    I have not seen him since, better for both of us this way.

2. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

"What would you do in this situation?"

"Welch" him back. Next time bet him $20. If he wins, tell him he only owes you $80 now.

If you win, choke all the money out of him.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When I separated from my first wife, I walked into a place to meet a friend for dinner. Right next to him sat a guy who was dating my ex! He got all apologetic, thinking I was going to go off on him. I was actually planning and did follow through with divorcing the woman, so I didn't care what she or he did. I told him it was a bit awkward us both being there, probably be a good idea for him to leave, which he did. Not very long after, he died of a brain aneurysm. I shuddered every time I thought of his dying. If I would have went off on him, and hit him a good hard blow to the head he would probably have died right then and there. Most likely I would have gone to jail.

nojazzhere and Ricky D. like this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To the OP :

A wager in a licensed establishment and a wager between “acquaintances” are both called “gambling”.

You just found out that the first one isn’t nearly as risky or as “exciting” as the second one...

5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

And I thought this thread was about people from the British isles

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seems like a very inexpensive lesson.

7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Not worth the trouble to start this thread for only $100.

8. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

It’s Welsh on a bet as in people from Wales are untrustworthy so some might find it’s use here a bit un PC.

Bore da TDPRI :twisted:

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The Taffs call it "Brummying on a bet".

10. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

As a Brummy of Welsh descent I'm not coming well out of this...

Like a lot of old phrases there doesn't seem to be a definitive origin of Welsh as in not repaying a debt but it's definitely a negative connotation so it seemed a bit surprising to see it; one of those things I thought had fallen out of use.

11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Not around here, it's still in common use, for anyone who backs out of a deal.

12. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

I can't believe there's so many people here that think it's a good idea to let that deadbeat punk the OP.

OP, you need to look this jackass in the eye and demand your money. Shame on you for not doing that yet. If he gives you a hard time, start breaking fingers.

13. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Right. Sounds very manly and all that but in 2019 unless you find the guy in the backwoods or similar spot, you'll wind up on cell phone video. Next is you tube or facebook which leads to "turn around and put your hands behind your back" which then, depending on your history with the local justice system you'll pay much more than the original $100 bet in fines/costs and maybe do 3 to 23 months and/or probation/parole. Think before you break.

Ricky D. likes this.
  14. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

This was a bet. Gambling is illegal in most states, so the debt may be legally unenforceable.

Which I guess is not the issue anyway.

Take the high road and let it go. Be the bigger person. And it’s not worth your time, just for $100, nor your self respect.

Edit: or shoot him.

MickM and Ricky D. like this.
  15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Good decision on your part. I can't think of any woman I've ever known that I thought was worth going to jail for.

nojazzhere, verb boten and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

I married again right away after divorcing my first, and we've been together fifty three years. My ex waited thirteen years before marrying again. One day the two of them had a big blow out, and she called the cops on the new hubby. He was evidently pretty tuff cause he ran the first cop off when he got there, but those boys always have backup. When they came back there were four of them. They finally got him in the car, and he kicked the back window and screen out of the car, and managed to get out on the trunk, where they tazed him, and shackled him. He ended up getting prison time over that little episode. Man, oh man, I'm glad I left that movie before it got where it was going. If I had been the judge, I'd have given her hubby the money to catch a bus out of town, and just let him be.

MickM likes this.
  17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I'm puzzled by all the interest in threats of violence. The guy welshed on the bet and dishonored himself, but YOU aren't out any money. You haven't really been injured in any way. You learned something important about the value of this guy's word.

verb boten and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

The welshed bet seems like a perfect way to rid yourself of someone you don't want to be around anyway.

verb boten likes this.
  19. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

In my case, it was a bad debt of several thousand dollars, so I was most definitely out something. But I never thought about killing him. OK, actually I did, but I would never have done that while there was a chance of getting some of the money back. When he left the building a month after receiving his bankruptcy, my only regret was that I would never see any of the money again.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Yep, write him off. And everytime he tries to start up a conversation, let him know exactly why you don't want to talk to him...and stick with it.
    Our thursday nite poker group had a new guy show up. The guy never shut up, on & on about everything and nothing. Suddenly he slaps his hand over the wristwatch of the guy next to him and says "i'll bet you $50 you can't describe your watch face". Guy sez "ok" but unknown to loudmouth, this guy is extremely smart, almost genius. He answers every question correctly until finally the guy can't come up with anymore and my friend says "you owe me $50" and he starts to welch(?), it was a joke, didn't mean an actual bet, ect ect. Finally my friend gave up but the atmosphere at the table was so thick and awkward, the game broke up early. The guy will always be known as a welcher and one of those who's mouth writes checks his *** can't cash.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.