Welsher or Welcher?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Frank'n'censed, May 24, 2019.

What would you do in this situation?

1. 1. Continue the relationship as is, while checking in with a shrink.

2. 4. With friends like him, hire a hit man, (his last name’s Italian). Yes, I’m kidding

3. 3. Finally confront him for the money, mentioning the other 2 witnesses & bet details, trying to

4. Hire a hit man, (his last name’s Italian).

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Welsher/welcher:

someone who swindles you by not repaying a debt or wager

*excuse my elongated story

A questionable, so-called friend with a reputation as a cheapskate, proposed, “$100.00, Columbus Blue Jackets beat the Boston Bruins in their playoff series”. The offer was to hard to resist, knowing this person’s tight, bravado personality. We even shook on the bet in front of 2 other friends.
    Unsurprisingly, (I’ve only really known him for about 3 years), he has not paid his debt, having conveniently forgotten about the bet, (I don’t believe it for a second). Yesterday, he even asked what the obvious Bruins jersey striping band was on my military satchels strap. It’s principal why I haven’t called him out yet...he lost the bet, so he should man up, making payment. Obviously, welshing $100.00 takes priority over his own honor. Another common friend has said he’ll take him to task, but hasn’t had the opportunity thus far. He’s made indirect references about it; muttering some gibberish about another possible $100.00 bet & yesterday actually claiming I owe him $100.00 on a NHL playoff bet, conveniently not recalling the real bet details? The guy’s playing pathetic games...When we made the original deal, within 5 minutes, he tried to back out of it by taking a cheap shot at me, saying I had no money, anyway. Calling his bluff, I immediately said, “I’d rob a bank if I had to.” One of the witnesses later told me he couldn’t believe his antics! Calling him out a few days later, the next time the 3 of us were together, I stated; “Tell you what, I’ll get the money right now, you get yours & we’ll leave it with our third party/witness...winner take all.” Not a peep from Mr. Blue Jerk-off? Undoubtedly playing his cards close to his chest, hoping his team won, so he could collect. There are other tiresome details about our deteriorating friendship, which I’ll spare you from. Considering his penchant for mudslinging, I don’t want to lower myself to his level, (ironically, I’m 6’4” & he’s 5’7”), knowing my temper & nasty abilities in that department. If I were to wager on how he’ll react when I finally call him out, he’ll try & redirect the situation, going down that sad, weary road. Got no time for that juvenile stuff, been there, done that, decades ago.
    Welsher or welcher, no matter how you spell it, he’s the very definition. Ironically, I’m of Welsh decent.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    verb boten and Nubs like this.
  2. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Just move on, life's too short.

3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Happened to me. I lent a friend a few thousand years ago (I'll never do that again). He even signed paper. But then he didn't pay back. When I finally went to court, he declared bankruptcy. I found out he also owed about $70,000 to other people. There was nothing I could do. But, poetic justice, he dropped dead of a stroke a month after the bankruptcy was finalized. So, not all bad.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No need to complicate things, seems like a simple beating could clear this right up.

5. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

Move on. That money’s gone.

Ditch the tightwad. Not worth raising your blood pressure or bruising your fists pummeling him.

Frank'n'censed and Deeve like this.
  6. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

7. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

No offense, but that seemed like 1:39 of useless. The guy that burned me was an habitual deadbeat. He owed numerous people money, including members of his own family, and he was never intending to pay any of them back. This doesn't work with con men.

8. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

In your case, maybe this?

[​IMG]

9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Believe me, I thought of it. But then he dropped dead, so it was like, well, that's it I guess.

Actually, I went to his funeral, and I was thinking about that scene in the movie Charade, where one of the bad guys sticks the dead guy with a pin, just to make sure he's dead. But it was a closed casket funeral.

10. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Dude is a bum. Let it, and him right out of your life. It's not like it actually cost you any money out of pocket

Frank'n'censed and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Break up that wall of text FFS.

Bill, Frank'n'censed and thegeezer like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

WOW!!.....kinda "proof" Karma does exist.....
    Write the debt AND him off and out of your life. I agree that this is different from him actually borrowing money from you and not repaying, so be thankful for that.
    And.....I don't know the origin of the term, and I'm off to research it now, but I'm pretty sure he's a "welsher"......;)

verb boten and Frank'n'censed like this.
  13. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cheap tuition - proof that OP's bet-guy is NOT someone to count on when things go dark.

Mental scenarios can be briefly entertaining, but it's harder to set 'em up than just imagining it'll play out as in
    Nothing Was Delivered

Peace - Deeve

BB likes this.
  14. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

The term is welching on a bet, I believe.

And as a matter of principle, I’d call him on it while looking him straight in the eye. Don’t say another word. Wait to hear his lame response. Remember, not a word. Walk away. For good.

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  15. Frank'n'censed

Shoulda played your pocket auger

16. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Didn't cost you a dime to verify that he's a punk so just ignore him if you happen to cross paths.

17. Frank'n'censed

Last night I dreamt he actually paid me back with two $50.00’s...the reality is, I’ll never see that money from him

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

One "friend" owes me 250...another, 600.
    It effectively keeps them away from me and was money well spent.

19. Frank'n'censed

Good, friendly advice

20. bbetancourt

bbetancourt TDPRI Member

Right - normally these insights have a much higher pricetag.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.