Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Well it's official as of today we are looking for a Church home.

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Ascension, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    After the Pastor did the shut down thing on our Church then they tried to get it back together it just has never been the same or been stable. Sadly resigned today so as of now the search for a new home is on for real. Have several good options just need to get a direction as to which one we really fit with. 2 that seem most promising are pretty different. One is a REALLY cool church that has a great worship vibe and is pretty much in the Betel vein. Lot of young folk mixed racial LOVE to go deep and worship lot's of musicians and artist just a cool place.
    The other just bought a big church building right down the hill from us and are an absolute BLAST to hang out with. It's a well established church and these guys are praising fools!! I mean old style Pentecostal camp meeting with a modern twist bounce off the walls kind of get down stuff.Again a very mixed congregation with a strong family vibe to the entire thing.
    This kind of stuff and holy smokes can these guys get DOWN!!

Only thing is they are UPC oneness folk so a little legalistic for me on some things but still a REALLY cool place. I have known some of the leaders for a while and really like the Pastor.
    Have other choices but likely will land at one of those 2 in the end.
    Big time different places have an open door both ways so--need a little direction here.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  2. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    Best of luck. I hope you find a place you can fit in and serve.

Ascension likes this.
  3. Boltneck

Boltneck TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Poquoson Va.
    Well.. I know that you have already lifted a prayer for direction on this matter and trust The Lord to lead you to where he wills. There is a congregation down there that is gonna get a good brother in Christ...and a guitar player too.

Ascension likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2005
    Abbotsford B.C.
    My wife and I are still looking for a new church to be involved in. (we left our last one over a liberal progressive theological direction. They assume they are just being relevant and modern). At the end of the day it really is all about worshiping the correct deity based on some core texts.

We've been visiting numerous churches. All of them get excited when we show up: but terrified when we want to get involved and help them with their lazy chaos. (I don't actually say that to their face. But most churches are very nervous to upset the grouchy seniors with a long haired guitar player and his worship band family). We're trying to find a little struggling church that needs and wants our 25 years experience.

If Ascension and I could just meet in the middle somewhere (spiritually and geographically) - we'd have a great church band and worship time.

Ascension and islander like this.
  6. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2007
    Camas, WA
    I know God will lead you to the right church.
    Its the waiting which can be hard.

islander likes this.
  7. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    Thought you guys had found a home bro. Will throw some prayer your way on your situation also.
    Yep wish we were closer bet the rest wouldn't be an issue if were were!
    Been hanging out at the new Church in my hood every Sunday night. REALLY fun place with a ton of talented young folk that can play bout anything you put in-front of um. Still strange going into that former Church of Christ sanctuary and seeing an expanded stage full band and in particular DRUMS in the former Baptistry LOL!
    Can't go into the details here bout why I am so relieved and thankful bout these guys buying that particular building and moving here but trust me I'm beside myself!! Is it a permanent home--don't quite know yet. Mostly my hesitation with hooking up is them being UPC and as such a little "different" than what I'm used to. These guys however are very laid back and welcoming and not like any other UPC bunch I have ever been round so?? They are at the least some new friends and allies for me in this area!
    keep you guys posted on the search.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    blille, GoldieLocks and islander like this.
  8. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    Been hanging with the new guys here in my Hood mostly. Don't know if it's a new home as it's a UPC Church and they have some differences in doctrine with us. However they will be friends and allies for us here in the community at the least so that is cool. they also are one of the only churches in this area who have Sunday night services so can hit other places in the morning then hit them Sunday night..
    Also looking at a Church that is pretty much like a Bethel format. Really laid back great worship lots of young families and a good vibe. Both have the strong family orientation and feel both have tons of talented folk and are stable.
    Otherwise couldn't be more different.
    New Life the UPC guys are very formal. Guys wear at the least dress paints and a sport shirt ladies dresses. They are LOUD and ROWDY in worship running the isles and bouncing off the walls!! Killer musicians solid band and a LONG history of stability.
    Arise the other guys are much more laid back dress is jeans and just informal. Worship is deep flowing and like the other guys they have a GREAT band and a lot of artistic folk. Not as much history and have a pair of brothers who co pastor.
    Both are super cool places and as of now unless there is some thing else in this area we don't yet know about one will likely wind up as home. between the 2 it's apples and oranges so as of now trying to find which one we really fit with. Can likely play at ether but don't want to come just to play.
    right now taking some time and just getting to know folk at both.
    New Life FB site
    https://www.facebook.com/newlifebhm/
    Arise FB site
    https://www.facebook.com/arisebirmingham/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 5:17 PM
  9. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Mobile, AL
    Hope you find a church to settle into--the running the aisles thing reminded me of a time that my wife and I visited a a church. It was pretty rowdy during worship. There was this one teenager who made several laps all over the sanctuary flapping his arms. He "flew" by us and out the front door. I know this is bad but all I could think about was "Run Forrest Run".

GoldieLocks, JuneauMike and Ascension like this.
  10. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Not sure what you mean by the correct deity (actually I do, you're a Trinitarian inerrantist with his Apologetics in order), but the best church music I ever heard was in a little black storefront church whose pastor was very steeped in Liberation Theology. It's not about being correct for those folks. It's about making it through the day. And the music shows it. Blew me away.

Ascension likes this.
  11. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    While not much on liberation theology can feel where you are coming from here in a major way. My wife and I have been the "tokens" more than once as the only sources of "color" in all black Churches LOL.
    Been in small store front churches where the service made the tent revival scene in Blues Brother 2 look tame and 7 year old kids would scare the wits out of most seasoned players on the drums and the B-3!!
    Got a couple clips of praise breaks and such playing with teams doing that stuff.
    https://app.box.com/s/70lvlmz38sy3gpwvxb0y
    https://app.box.com/s/oicspf1z95u8etuuav8o

12. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Wow exactly. At this particular church there was a kid who looked about 12 who was going back and forth between drums and organ and ripping them up. I never heard such intense blues.

Except maybe when I saw Phil Driscoll at a holy roller church. Which is kind of what I'm getting at, a little tongue in cheek of course. At least from the perspective I think you're coming from, the worse the theology the better the music LOL.

IMG_1475.JPG

13. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    Cant get any worse theology wise than the one in that photo! Most here won't have a clue but I know exactly who that is and also know his story with playing in "church".
    Some of the strongest theological fundamental Churches round here have absolutely AMAZING music.
    Blessed in some of what I have ben involved with musically.
    One example is playing with the Carlton Reese Memorial Choir. Carlton wrote many of the 1960's civil rights anthems members in that Choir were in the marches and getting hit with the fire hoses here in Birmingham. I played guitar for them for several years.
    Here are a couple clips I recorded with a little Mini disc set up on Dr Kings Birthday 2004 at 16th Street Baptist ( church that was bombed killed the 4 little girls). I was stuck to the side unmiced and had no real monitor which was tough as those guys never played anything the same way twice and most times not in the same KEY twice in a row LOL!
    https://app.box.com/shared/zo3gh6s9l5
    https://app.box.com/shared/dncudfyoag

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    Sjnoring likes this.
  14. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Likely 90% of everything he said was made up. But I think his church died with him. Peter Gilmore is calculatedly innocuous. And a lousy composer. And when he runs out of bullet points about Satan he turns to music appreciation. Boyd Rice was so much more suited to the job. A total wacko. And a better musician.

But great clips. That's the stuff. Which doesn't surprise me. I'm no expert on the black church but from what I've seen, while it tends to be socially conservative, it also tends to interpret traditional doctrines in terms of redemptive suffering and metaphorical ideas like the Exodus Motif. Salvation is deliverance. From sin perhaps, but more importantly from oppression. A church may have ideas like this without being fully immersed in Liberation Theology. But it is not the fundamentalist way of looking at it. And they rock!

I'm just interested in this thread because my experience has been that the more emphasis a church places on its theology, the more boring the music. This has just been my experience of course. Now let's just get one thing out of the way, they never came up with anything better than a pipe organ! But beyond that, if I think of what I heard in, say, strongly evangelical churches, with a very prominent teaching ministry, maybe non denominational, it was mostly praise choruses that seemed to go out of their way to be bland and inoffensive. The holy rollers and Pentecostals on the other hand, who emphasize experience, they'd raise the roof. I grew up in the Anabaptist tradition, and while those churches tend towards evangelical theology, they get much more in a tizzy about injustice than heresy. And wow can they sing. Not like blues and black choirs, but get a congregation of Mennonites singing four part harmony with back time from the old hymnals, it'll give you goosebumps.

I forget the point. But if you've been to churches where evangelical theology and the purity thereof is of central importance, and they had good music, more power to you. My churchgoing days are long over but I still listen to sacred music from Bach to Mortification, so there's a lot of good stuff out there regardless.

Ascension likes this.
  15. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    The Church that just moved in down the Street is solid in teaching with music like this.

A little legalistic in doctrine being UPC but a solid solid bunch overall. They also have musicians out the wazoo so would be a smaller fish in a bigger pond!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.