Well I'm doing the rabbit hole thing...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mo62987, Mar 21, 2019.

1. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Hehe... actually struck up a conversation with a guy at work a few days ago who happened to mention inheriting his father's cabinet shop and offered free use anytime! SCORE!

Macrogats likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

http://www.pittsfordlumber.com/Pittsford-Lumber/millwork.html

3. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

Now that's a good friend to have!

mo62987 likes this.
  4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

It was a kind of particularly grey ugly looking construction 2x6 I got a Menards out of the pile of cheap 2x6 studs...maybe kill beetle pine?

I thought it looked pretty cool, planed and sanded with some finish on it though. I have a thread somewhere on here with the build details I think.

mo62987 likes this.
  5. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Hmm.. there's a particularly grey ugly looking 2x10 that's been sitting outside my shop for a while. maybe i'll clean it up and make something out of it. :lol: It's cupped pretty bad so it would definitely take some work

fenderchamp likes this.
  6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

I wish they would wire up a giphy plugin for the tdpri forum boards.

7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

@mo62987 why don't you just glue a back on your body and save it?

8. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Literally just went to Lowe's on my lunch break to pick up some 1" pine for that... I'll have to thickness it down a bit, but think it'll work.

9. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Had some time here and there over the last several days and managed to glue up a back cap for ole piney

Joined the mating edges
    [​IMG]
    Forgot to take pics of the glue up...

Took my time with a coping saw to trim off the excess. Didn’t want to tear up the cap with a jig saw.
    [​IMG]
    Then hit it with the router. Overall it turned out ok. [​IMG]
    Grabbed the 7/8” forstner and went to town. That was more than a little nerve racking.
    [​IMG]
    Whew. Nailed it.

And drilled for the wiring. Used regular length bits. So they JUST barely made it.
    [​IMG]

builtbyseb likes this.
  10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

I bet it will be 100% playable eventually.

11. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Ok back on it today...
    Got a neck template and a truss rod routing jig worked up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New wood day! Well I’ve had it for about a week, just now getting to it.

[​IMG]
    Forgot to take a pic but it’s a maple neck blank. I was slightly disappointed that the blank is a little too narrow even for a tele headstock. Left my template a bit more bulbous at the headstock so it’s not a straight copy. But had to throw that out the window when I saw it was too narrow. Oh well.

Everything was going pretty well until I lost focus a wasn’t thinking about the grain and cutting direction.
    This happened.

[​IMG]

Wicked some glue down in the splits and clamped it for now.

[​IMG]

Is this salvageable??? (Already cut too close on the headstock to move this away any)

Do I cut a nice clean edge and glue in a scrap piece from an offcut?
    Or save it for another short scale project?? :lol:

12. guitarbuilder

Saw or sand closer to your line and maybe you can avoid the blowout. The tearout is in the corner and some of it will get rounded over. If you are putting a fretboard on, then that should cover it up. I'd probably fill it with plastic wood myself and keep going.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  13. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

@guitarbuilder had a feeling you would chime in on that one ;)

Got as close as I was comfortable with my not-so-trusty jig saw. Had actually planned to sand this area but had a momentary lapse in judgement.

14. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Yes, you definately don't want to touch a corner with a router with that much material to remove.

It will be mostly covered but you could square it and splice a small piece in and be good to go.

I don't know where you got your maple blank from but most box hardware stores handle select grades of hard maple that will work at a fraction of the price than a "guitar" wood supplier. Menards, Homedepot & Lowes all sell it in a plastic wrapping where I am, and you can often find curly if you look thru the supply. A 1x4" works for a neck with a tele headstock, strat headstock 1x6 with the normal buble end."

I believe I paid about $40 for this 1"x8"x8' of curly maple at Menards. Several book match tops and necks coming out of it. Smaller boards are cheaper yet.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

15. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

After gluing the main split back together i had enough meat left in the right areas to shift the template and just clear the tearout. So i went ahead and finished out with a router/sander combo. Other than having to settle for a peghead shape that fit the width, i think it turned out pretty nice. You can see the flat spots on the head in this pic where the blank wasn't wide enough. Ended up blending those a little better after the pic.
    [​IMG]

@eallen already on it :cool:... went a little out of my way after work friday and stopped at a Woodcraft supply (never seen any maple at my big box stores). Found a decent looking piece of 4/4x6" curly maple. It was an offcut so i got it for a song, and it has some decent figuring to it. Have enough to do 4 necks now. Needs a little planing/thicknessing, but not much. It was actually really flat.

[​IMG]

We'll call the first attempt a learning curve and move on. I'll prob do each step on the original neck so i don't get surprised by anything else.

eallen likes this.
  16. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Been distracted by a parts build for my Pops over the last couple weeks so what little build time I've had has gone to that lately. Neck has been stained vintage amber and tru-oiled. Tuners installed.
    Had to do some fine sanding in the neck pocket to open it up, but got a real nice snug fit.
    [​IMG]
    Think I spent about 3 hours yesterday just sanding :confused:
    Ended up getting through the sealer and grain filling stage. No pics, cause that process is gross and dirty. Prob my least favorite part. Maybe I'm doin it wrong

Anyway....
    Between coats of sealer I did manage to get the truss rod routed and installed for my scratch build.
    [​IMG]

Dangit...
    [​IMG]
    The adjustment nut was a tiny bit bigger than my drill bit, but not worth going to the next bit (metric truss rod vs. English bits). Tried the 'wiggle the drill' method and overshot to one side. Maybe a small round file would have been worth a purchase.

Also glued up the fretboard and forgot to take pics again... its clamped and curing in the shop for the day. Just judging from the first couple hours after gluing, I can already tell I don't have enough clamps to do it right :oops:
    Used a pre-radiused and slotted board from LMII. The radius makes getting even clamping pressure more complicated.

17. guitarbuilder

You don't need more than 5 -6 clamps on a properly prepared gluing surface if you use a clamping caul.

caul.jpg

PingGuo likes this.
  18. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

@guitarbuilder Yeah i did... i just might not have applied even pressure to one end of the neck. Think there was a slight twist in the fretboard that left a small gap on one corner near the heel IIRC

19. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Got a little time to work on the neck again yesterday
    Fretboard trimmed. Don't have a band saw, so I started with a coping saw then moved to the router table. Couple easy passes there and done!
    [​IMG]
    Now to start thinning the headstock. I'm terrified that I'll destroy it with the router sled jig so bring out the Shinto (no children were harmed in the making of this guitar)
    [​IMG]
    haha! he lasted all of 3 minutes on this one

After the shinto, started to clean up the face and transition with some sandpaper and determination. Here's how it sits now. Not quite done just yet. prob still need to hit it with a drum sander to round it out a little better. But it's getting there!
    [​IMG]

20. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

I'm not incredibly knocked out by how 'purple' this rosewood turned out. Any decent way to darken it??
    Make it look something more like this:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.