Well I'm doing the rabbit hole thing...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mo62987, Mar 21, 2019.

1. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Started with a parts build last year and haven't been able to shake the need to do a scratch build. So down the rabbit hole we go!

I'm starting with a scrap 2x4 body build first to get some some of the first-timer flubs out of the way before I move on to "real" wood. (I know, I know, pine needs love too ;)). Who knows... this build might actually turn out pretty cool in the end.

Used my DIY router table as a jointer. Worked ok, but i think i should have taken off just a tad more on a couple boards. The glue joints still show some of the original bevel from the lumber.

Before glue up
    [​IMG]

Some fine redneckery to clamp and glue up the body
    [​IMG]

Meh, not terrible, not great
    [​IMG]

Ended up with a slight cup in the blank and sent it through the planing jig
    [​IMG]

After a pass (there's one of the bad glue joints up close and personal)
    [​IMG]

Those ridges sanded down nice and easy. Forgot to take pics along the way, but marked and roughed out the body with a drill and jigsaw. Was scared to get too close to the line here since my jig saw blade tends to wander and bend some.
    [​IMG]

Then free-handed some of the excess with the router to smooth it out some
    [​IMG]

Should have paid more attention to the knot placement before i committed to cutting. I think those near the strap button and on the tip of the lower horn are going to haunt me. Already starting to chip away unevenly there. Oh well!

I'm sure I've jumped the gun somewhere already, and maybe there's a better order to do the body cutting and cavity routing??? Anyone care to share what i could have done differently/better?

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I gotta tell ya, you guys doing that "sled" thing to flatten a body... GAWD... thats the hard way.... find ya a local custom Cabinet or furniture maker... call 'im . tell them you're making a guitar .. could you come by and use their panel sander or pay one of your guys to do it for ya.... or call the local high school ask about the availability of their wood shop for adult classes in the evening... most will set ya back about 10 bux....

It's gonna cost ya as much in sand paper to do it yourself.. nothing loads up sandpaper like pine...

PingGuo, JustABluesGuy and Blue Bill like this.
  3. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Take more material off before you put that thing anywhere close to a router. Take that from personal experience.

eallen likes this.
  4. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

But that would be the EASY way :D
    Actually have checked around... i don't live anywhere close to anything with decent tools. At least not close enough to get there during the kiddos nap time (which is pretty much what i get maybe once a week) Plus there's just something so rewarding about the DIY method. Especially if I'm not trying to crank out more than one at a time.
    There's a legit hardwood place about an hour away from the house where i'll have to get lumber for the real thing later... i'll prob fork over a few extra bucks for them to plane and joint.

5. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

I could see where that would be helpful. I bet the router would like to take a nice chomp and prob destroy my template.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Take it to a hardwood dealer that has a planer and see what they'll charge to plane or thickness sand it. If you have a belt sander like a ROSS, You can sand right to the line and skip the router there. :). A course grit of course.

7. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Thinking about rigging up a drum attachment to the drill press for this. Good idea / bad idea???

8. guitarbuilder

bad idea. The bearings aren't designed for that.

9. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

@guitarbuilder - noted. I like my drill press... don't want to ruin it.

10. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Part of the rabbit hole is tools. The Ridgid ROSS from Home Depot would be very handy at this point.

11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to actually doing it for yourself! :D

fenderchamp likes this.
  12. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

The Ridgig ROSS has been my best tool purchase for guitar building, I skip the template for body shaping now, and it has so many other uses.

13. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

@papaschtroumpf yeah I’m sure... I’m just trying to get it done without buying expensive tools... one day!

14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I got mine off a Craig's list ad for $100, with lots of extra belts and sleeves.

15. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]
    Made a lil progress today. Routed the final body shape. Only tiny bit of tear out. Luckily on the backside of the body. If I follow through to final finish will prob just bondo and round over.
    [​IMG]

Captain Nutslot, Ziggy587 and DonM like this.
  16. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Yeah I have been checking CL in my area religiously lately. No dice so far

Blue Bill likes this.
  17. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

So the 2x4 body came out just under 1-1/2” thick after planing, like 1-7/16”. Before I route the neck pocket, is that thick enough?? Was considering glueing on a top to get it back over 1.5”. But not sure if that’s worth the trouble. This is a “practice” run after all.

fenderchamp likes this.
  18. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hi Mo,
    A little tip that works a treat when edging two boards ( or more) to glue together to make a body or front or back etc, when you rout them put the two boards together face surface to face surface where the join will be. Rout with a top bearing bit using a known straight surface (I use a section of right angle aluminium about 2 inches per side) When the cut is made any discrepancies in the angle of the cut of either piece will be cancelled out by the corresponding error of the other piece when assembled.

Results in near a perfect seam every time.

DC

guitarbuilder likes this.
  19. guitarbuilder

The Charles Fox method to joint an acoustic top and back set was to put the two pieces of wood side by side with the router bit in the middle. The gap between the pieces of wood was maybe 1/8" less than the bit diameter. The wood was clamped down along the length to keep it from moving. One of these wooden clamps was the router " fence". You moved the router along the "fence" and it cut a clean channel on both sides of the gap. The two pieces of wood mated up perfectly. This is pretty much the same kind of thing as what you are describing when you don't have a jointer.

jig.JPG

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Mr_Q and Captain Nutslot like this.
  20. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A little wood putty, you'll never know..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.