Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Well hello old friend.... NPD!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:44 PM.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Went into GC to have Wall-E my tele stringed strobed. While I was waiting I meandered over to the pedal display. I noticed there was no Tube Screamer Mini behind its price tag $79.....
    On a whim I decided to do the old "out of stock" ploy. I looked online and it said they were out of stock.... perfect! I asked if the had the Mini TS and the sell checks his computer and says "it shows we are out of stock, but I know there be one somewhere." He checks all the stock underneath the display.. goose egg... he says lemme check in back... again nothing.
    I say "well sorry to put you thru so much trouble" and start walk away and he says "sir! if you will buy it today I'll sell you this new TS-9 for the same price.." Done!

I race home to kick the Nobels ODR-1 off the board. Now, it has been almost 20 years since I've owned a TS-9 but there 2 things that strike as being different. One is there is still alot of over drive happening even with the knob rolled all the way off. The sweet spot on the tone control is almost all the way off. Is it me or has this changed?

I know that things change at band volume so I will take my time to work my way back into it but it is weird to hear the bass disappear even though I was expecting it to. I used Rats with Tube Screamers for ages so I should fall back into the groove. If I cant re-bond with the TS-9 I'm thinkin I might try a Boss Blues Driver.
    IMG_1587.JPG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 6:25 PM
    RetroTeleRod likes this.

2. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

May 2, 2010
    IL
    Cool!

I'm a diehard Nobels guy for rhythm, I like the bass it adds where a TS nips and tucks at it. I think a common myth is that bass is a bad thing live. While you don't want flabby bass, the whole idea of turning the bass way down when you have a bassist is a myth and ends up thinning the tone to my ear. Some say the ODR-1 is only good for Fender guitars because of the bass but I find it sounds excellent with a LP or SG or 335 too. It's definitely fuller sounding.

For leads, I like the bass cut of a TS (I love TS pedals for leads) but for rhythm I like some extra bass. I love the "mountain peak" midrange. Really helps you cut through a dense mix.

TS-9's get a bad rap with the blues crowd, but I've never been afraid of a little extra treble, where as some guys that really prefer the extra warmth of the 808. The TS-9 is a great pedal.

4pickupguy likes this.

3. 4pickupguy

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Thanks telerocker1988. My problem is I'm trying to use stuff that is a known quantity from my past. My music and band (if we ever move along) is vastly different than a 5 piece country band of 20 years ago. My amp rig is vastly different too. I was hoping for something to fill the "first stage hair" drive spot but, because my Blue note is so versatile its filling that roll now. The TS wont get clean enough. I think I like the Blue Note in the rhythm/ lead (middle) slot. I have spent all day with this thing and even at volume I think the TS-9 is not going to work. I love these things normally. I'm think I got time to make back to GC.....

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    How do you like the J Rockett Blue Note?
    I have been considering buying one of those.

6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    Congrats on the TS-9. If the ODR-1 needs a home, I'll send you my address...

RetroTeleRod likes this.

7. 4pickupguy

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Ok made back to GC before they closed and returned the Ts-9 in exchange for a Blues Driver 2. Its perfect for putting a bit of hair on a clean sound. Exactly what I was looking for. Its not very transparent but I'm not sure I like transparent in anything but a compressor. It appears to keep the sparkly stuff while raising the low-mid shelf which sounds great through my rig. I can see why Andy Timmons uses these for his clean tone. The sales guy did his level best to talk me out of buying the BD-2 and had me try an MXR 78' distortion ( no thanks) and a Soul Food (actually pretty close), but the BD-2 sounded like it fit that edge of overdrive roll. I feel I have betrayed my old friend by returning the TS-9 but it was not going to work with this rig or with my current music.
    IMG_1603.JPG

The Blue Note is amazing. It sounds fantastic! Extremely versatile. If you can still get the old style with the "Hot" switch I would! I have not heard the Tour Series.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 9:51 PM

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO

9. 4pickupguy

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yes. but I normally use it by itself. If I do use it after an OD its usually only after the first stage (Blues Driver in this case) . If I am playing loud enough not to need a comp it kinda becomes a boost.

10. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Read AnalogMan's details of the history of the pedal, the circuit, and all the variants. If I recall the gist, there's probably little similarity between then and now - with the pedal of THIS name. But... try the Maxon OD-9. It's essentially a TS-808. It's all on the page.

http://www.buyanalogman.com/Ibanez_Maxon_s/63.htm

11. 4pickupguy

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Thanks very interesting read. Good info. All my rigs I have ever owned had something I had to work around. This Blues Driver gets me in the ball park and can certainly work with it I liked what I heard puzting with it last night. Like the Rat 2 I bought last year. A gentle tweak and some time learning its quirks and now it aint ever moving from my board. This Ethos is taking forever to nail down but I'm getting there. Its going nowhere. The TS-9 was on the hiway service road waiting to enter the parking lot of the ballpark. It a great pedal and if I were still playing through Super Reverbs it would be perfect. Its about getting a starting place and learning to work with what you got. The BD-2 has that edge of overdrive "Super-up-loud" sound I was looking for. Lovely on the neck pup. That "Little Wing" territory.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 5:24 PM

12. 4pickupguy

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Ok, I have become more hesitant in recent months to post opinions about a new pedal until I am past the honeymoon phase. I have made some pretty excited claims while still honeymooning. It goes past learning how to adjust and get a particular tone out of a pedal, its learning how to play through it in a band context etc,.. I am hoping to get the band re-engaged this coming weekend and arrange a practice . So, I still haven't heard the BD-2 in a band context, but, I have had it up loud in the studio. I am really surprised by how touch sensitive it is. I have it set to just sweeten and warm things up on a clean tone and it couldn't be more well suited for that task. Play soft and you cant really tell its on, dig in a little and it just rounds the edges off just like a Super Reverb or something. Very pleasing and musical. It has me playing a lot of neck pickup stuff because it just sounds so good there. So, far, I am REALLY glad I took the TS-9 back and exchanged it for the BD-2... Very impressive pedal. Cant wait to hear it with the band.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.