Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Weirdest find on a used guitar purchase?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ftbtx, Sep 27, 2017.

1. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well awhile back I bought an MIJ Telecaster Custom. I sold one back in the '90s and was hoping to find another; so I've been looking for one for awhile. I found this one at a good price, but it needed some love.

So I finally had a chance to start fixing it up and for some reason the e string wouldn't come out of the body holes. I had to take a small screwdriver and tap it out, when it came out, three other string balls fell out as well. I gues the previous owner didn't think much of string ferrules?

What's the weirdest thing you've found?

2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    I found a rattlesnake's buttons (or rattle) in an old acoustic.
    There's a folk belief/myth that this improves a guitar's sound.

Rich_S, Piggy Stu, ukepicker and 5 others like this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I found a Shure bullet mic in the back of a BF Princeton Reverb I bought from a pawn shop, eons ago.
    I gave the mic to a harmonica player.

Fiesta Red and ftbtx like this.

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Huh. I've never found more than dust or an old guitar pick.

Fiesta Red and Toto'sDad like this.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Now wait just a minute there 4 Cat Slim, of much renown, are you saying having a bunch rattlesnake buttons in an acoustic guitar doesn't improve the sound?

Fiesta Red likes this.

6. ftbtx

I've always heard having your guitar in hock at a pawn shop improves the sound.

7. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Sadly for the vast majority this is indeed an irrefutable fact!

ftbtx likes this.

8. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Bought an Epi Goth Thunderbird Bass, got it home and opened the case and found a Boss pedal box in the case. I am thinking, my lucky day until I opened it and it was empty...

acstorfer, Toto'sDad and ftbtx like this.

9. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I did have a friend who bought an old acoustic on CL. Got it home and started cleaning it up and something was moving around in the body. Turned it over and shook it and a bag of marijuana fell out.

I did not ask what happened to the bag of if the previous seller called and asked if he had left something in the case.

10. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    I asked a lot of people about rattlesnake rattles, TD.
    An embarrassing number of people, really.

The origin of this belief is probably best explained that a rattlesnake may have spent some time in an
    old guitar in some rancher's shed, and fed on a few mice before leaving. Somebody later discovered the
    snakes' rattles and concluded that the rattle was what made the guitar sound better.

Maybe somebody will market a synthetic rattlesnake rattle for acoustic guitars.

You can imagine how surpassed I was when I stuck my hand inside the guitar thinking that there was either
    a thumb pick or maybe a loose brace inside.

AlabamaOutlaw, Toto'sDad and ftbtx like this.

11. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2013
    minneapolis
    Not me but someone I follow on the FB:

rattle.JPG

12. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Just joshing you 4 Cat, I have heard all of my life that having rattles in there would somehow improve the tone of an acoustic. Makes no sense to me, your theory might be exactly how it all got started. A guy from the mountains gave me a pint jar full of rattles/buttons he had collected from dispatching rattlers on the ranch where he worked. I don't know whatever happened to them. It was one of those deals that made you uncomfortable to have around, but since they were a gift I just kept putting off tossing them. I don't remember what I did with them. I hope they weren't in my Martin when I traded it away! :lol:

13. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I went to a small town an hours drive away for a banjo lesson one time (one lesson, waste of time, and money) and while I was there a customer had brought his banjo in for some repairs the guy who worked on it was showing him what he had done before putting the back on. The customer started ranting that the guy who worked on it and had wiped the dust out of the banjo head and back and that it would never sound the same again. (like you could tell that ANYTHING could hurt the tone of a banjo)

DonM, Straydogger and joealso like this.

14. ftbtx

I think we need a new thread on Tone Dust. Ofcourse, red Texas dust is the best, much better than that Asian dust.

15. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    From the UMGF I heard the rattles were to keep mice and small critters from setting up shop in your guitar. I don't remember the improving tone piece of it. It comes from the bluegrass hill country traditions.

16. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I have a Samsung subwoofer that my niece decided to shove a plastic banana into the port. It was from a set of fake fruit. Still in there, no way to open the box.

ftbtx and brookdalebill like this.

17. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Could have been worse. It could have been a Metal Zone :)

SweetClyde99 and ftbtx like this.

18. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    There's a story that Marty Stuart found a tab of acid under the pickguard of Clarence White's guitar.

ftbtx likes this.

19. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I once bought a stripped down Kramer snakeskin on eBay. When i took the control cover off there was a SD Pearly Gates inside.
    Kinda cool.

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I once bought a Crate VC2112 on the way to a gig. It was the worst amp period of my life. After having never once had an amp go poof on me in fifteen years of gigging and touring, I managed to have seven blow up in a relatively short period of time. So here I was, on the way to a gig, with no amp. Figured I'd pick one up on the way.

So I grab this little amp, get to the gig, toss it up on stage and something clunks. I think "great, the speaker or tranny just came loose".

Nope. In the back of the amp is an Alesis Nanoverb and a Boss CS2. That was a pretty good deal!

Bought a 76 Explorer in the early 90's. It was a great deal, and I bought it to re-sell. Guy had put EMG's in it, but said the original pickups were in the case. He'd bought it a couple years before and thought they were "way too weak".

Got it home and checked it out, they weren't the original pickups. They were a pair of gold covered real deal PAFs. That was probably the best deal I ever made.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.