Weird days in vintage Fender tube amp pricing

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by theprofessor, May 13, 2019.

1. leftfoot1381

leftfoot1381 TDPRI Member

Man, if I could find twins and supers for 600.00 around here I'd be perpetually broke. I love those things and I'd love to have one.

2. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

For the sake of science, I just did a quick CL search, including nearby areas. Several Super Reverbs, BF/SF, running 750-1800. The 750 and 1800 ones were clearly outliers. Most were in the 1200 range.

Only one SF Twin listed currently. I think it was 975.

That’s (1,200) about the same asking price as a SF Princeton or Deluxe. BF asking prices tend to be north of 2k.

MilwMark likes this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  5. leftfoot1381

leftfoot1381 TDPRI Member

Well I don’t think they are bad prices. But definitely not 600.00. Unfortunately I don’t really need either a twin or a super so it is hard to justify the expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m asking $100,000 for a ‘73 Pinto.

Big amps for sale by older guys go like this :

- He puts it for sale on CL at what he thinks is reasonable and then all he gets are ridiculously lowball offers.

- Months and months later he finally gives up and says “Screw it - I didn’t get X amount for it so I may as well keep it !”

- When he passes his wife either gives it away to a relative or it sells at his estate sale.

- The End

7. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

I don't think it's weird at all. I have over a hundred gigs a year that my 24 lb Allen Chihuahua can be used for, as opposed to the 3 or 4 that I could justify hauling 52 lbs of Old Flame out just to keep it on 2.

I was at the Fret Mill in Roanoke a couple weeks ago. They had a 70's V4B head and cab for $1200 - most likely a consignment. I told the guy, yes, yes I will relieve you of that great-sounding boat anchor if you give me $1200. Heck I might even settle for $900. But, yeah, those days are gone if you're not an arena act.

Keefsdad and kookaburra like this.
  8. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 TDPRI Member

In the late 2000s, I bought a Fender PA 100, 100W, 70s tube pa, for $217.00, on Ebay. Had it retubed and made safe for an all in price of $500.00. Ordered an Avatar 2x12 cab.

My son learned to play guitar on it and it was used for a lot of jams with multiple guitars, acoustic and electrics plugged in. Good for vocals. Used it for a duo, singer and guitarist.

The PA 100, sits in the home rehearsal space and is used with a jam band, drums, bass and 2 guitars, max volume 4. It takes pedals very well. Very heavy with the head and cabinet separated.

Saw one for sale locally, for $800.00, rare to see them advertised.

My son will get it sooner or later until then, we will enjoy it.

YMMV

9. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I could have bought someone's gigged to death Dr. Z a while back with stage crates and all, but I would rather buy gently used equipment over a beat up souvenir.

10. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Cute sound byte, but the dog analogy is as dated as the old amps. For most people, most of the time, a small dog like a chihuahua or rat terrier is a BETTER guard dog. They sound the alarm without worrying about your friends being scared to visit you, or delivery people avoiding your house. Or your dog doing serious damage to the wrong person.

I play mostly small bars with a very loud 6 piece blues band. Can’t get a Pro Junior beyond 50% most of the time and the bigger joints mic the amps anyway.

I don’t expect the demand for monster amps to come back again.

kookaburra, stevemc and jsnwhite619 like this.
  11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I could see people snapping them up just to put in their studios. Weight isn't an issue if you
    almost never have to move it. But that's probably it....

T-Bone and kookaburra like this.
  12. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

I'm one who has "more amp than I need," such as it is. I found a 1973/4 Pro Reverb, including cover, for $650 - replacement speakers (which I consider a positive, who wants 45 year old speakers?) - but still, who could pass it up? And it sounds terrific with the volume knob on 2.

This amp would've cost $470.00 new in '73 - which, adjusted for inflation, is about $2,750.00. It's therefore lost about 3/4 of its value. Meanwhile a vibrochamp, $105 new (adjusted $605) would probably go for $700-$800 today, and is much less versatile and fun in my book.

middy likes this.
  13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

This thread took a hot minute to read. Heres my theories, based solely upon trends in music, economics, and the used market from before I was even playing until the present:

The cost of big amps falling will make them more accessible to younger players (who luckily have young backs). Music trends move in cycles for most genres, mainstream proliferation of people who are talented by admission of people who are judgy (example musicians) about this happens less frequently than less good people, but the ones who break through have staying power (examples: Brad Paisley, Jack White, Dave Gruhl).

Older sounding stuff often rotates into popularity again eventually. If the trends shift in the direction of tube, and it becomes popular opinion that such is good, smaller and medium vintage stuff will just go up in price. But 50w+ stuff will remain cheaper, and coincide with more widespread use by broke young people. This is likely to be part of what shapes certain aspects of what these kids would be doing. Big amps were always cool for harder rock genres, if they slip back into other ones, an eventual re-shift will happen.

Reasons it will take forever: studies observing differences between millennials and the generation after them are inconclusively new on several levels, but internationally, several traits that are classicly "me" type behaviors from millennials aren't as much a thing with the generation following. These are the ones who will shift things, in like 2 decades.
    I'm only talking about music that would get people into guitars.

Rock
    In the 90s, racks were the thing, even during grunge. Later, real amps came back, nu metal had its moment, and the landscape shifted toward The white stripes, Strokes, you remember. Along with this, pop punk was selling squires like Bam Margera sold skateboard decks. But deeper than Simple plan, good Charlotte et al, a pop level emo was marketable, your Jimmy eat world, etc. Deeper still, hardcore and screamo was very much a thing. All of these were big amp friendly. Afterward, barring school of rock and the jonas brothers, not much was pushing guitars.

Eventually another shift will happen, and things will keep changing.

Eventually....

14. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Can’t move a 65 lb amp? Have your wife do it for you. :rolleyes::lol:

charlie chitlin likes this.
  15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that if punk and other guitar-driven music comes back then big Fenders will see increased demand. Dirt box of choice into a Twin yields instant stage rig.

colchar and kookaburra like this.
  16. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

There are those of us who are happy to play big amps at home. if others aren't buying them, that just makes things better for us.

No, they do not. My twin and my JCM 800 sound better at low volumes than any five or ten watt amps that I have ever heard (except for classic vintage ones of course).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    middy likes this.
  17. beachbreak

beachbreak TDPRI Member

Back in 1999 I saw the Goo Goo Dolls open for the Stones and Johnny Resnick played through a miked Blues Jr. I believe, 20 years ago!

Keefsdad and jsnwhite619 like this.
  18. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Had to come back to this one. I was just looking on my Facebook Marketplace at Fender amps. Within 100 miles search produced
    • Silverface Twin for $650
    • Silverface Vibrosonic Reverb for $600
    • Musicman 212HD 130 for $600
    • Silverface Super Reverb for $700
    • Silverface Vibro Champ for $750
    Obviously, they aren't charging by the pound. But, it really goes to show what is popular these days. The big amps are basically selling for the cost of parts.

19. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

For my 2c I think amps in general are all fairly cheap.
    I do agree that for years I’d seen BF twins always above $1k and now they are about 30-40% less than a few years back, but I think a lot has to do with market saturation in that they keep on makin em and sellin em and I don’t think they number of new guitarists is proportional to the number of amps. It’s like cars, everyone keeps buying new ones until the ones a few years old are worth nothing and only the super old super rare stuff is worth a cracker
    eBay CL and gumtree we have in Australia have all helped drive prices down.
    That said I’ve had stacks, have got a BFTR and Hot rod deluxe and AC30 and Marshall DSL and the DSL is my go to amp because it can be cooking on 20w triode mode , cranking at 40w pentode mode and is still portable while my AC30 steps down from 30w to 15w (sounds amazing) and offers much the same versatility as the Marshall but just kills my back, but man it looks great as it’s the hand wired in cream tolex

Oh for the record paid
    $600US ($900aussie) for the twin
    $300US ($450ausdie) for the DSL40
    $900US ($1200aus) for new AC30HW2 but it was a shop in liquidation as Rrp was $2900aus
    Also got a Mustang 4 at $300US and the HRD came as a bonus thrown in with a tele I bought

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I went to check out a real cool 60’s SS amp whose name escapes me now a couple weeks ago.

Some kid in his 20’s upper flat. Dark, with stuff everywhere.

I decided to pass on it after checking it out and then noticed a SF Twin Reverb in the corner . Real clean.
    Non-MV.

I asked about it and he said he’d been trying to sell it but gave up. He was frustrated because it sounded so good and nobody wanted it.

It was a ‘70 and all original. As I was leaving he said he was trying to get $1000 for it. I explained the current market and he seemed kinda amazed.

Later on he texted me and said he was open for offers . I didn’t respond and the next day he said he’d let it go for $750.

I said I might be interested at $600 but I wouldn’t/couldn’t go any higher. He almost immediately texted back that he could do that . I said I’d let him know and he didn’t pursue me any further.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.