Weird days in vintage Fender tube amp pricing

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by theprofessor, May 13, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank you for introducing the concept of big amps having torque. I've never been able to give it a term, before, but you nailed it.

Milspec likes this.
  2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

Heh. To be more precise, some rock music is big, loud, and absurd. "Hard rock," or "classic rock," in some uses. But there's a lot of rock made on AC15s and Bassbreaker combos and so on. The raging stacks became part of the equation around the time Hendrix and the Who used them, but were never the whole thing. Still not 1 watters by any stretch, of course.

On every forum, I find the "pro" versus "bedroom" thing to be rather odd. When we talk about trends and prices on the open market, we talk about all buyers. There are many, many nonprofessional players for every pro. The market tends to go in two directions. Serving professionals is a niche, and that niche is itself divided among Axe/Kemper/Line6 people, lovers of big amps, and yes, pros with small to medium sized amps. That's a fairly small market. What more powerfully sets the price for used Fender Twins and Supers, though, is what people who play for fun demand. Again - there will always be subsets of that group for every size and shape of amp, profiler, etc. But the trends are pretty clear. It's no slight against the expertise of a pro to point out the dynamics of purchasing that have nothing whatsoever to do with pros.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  3. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Id like to see more info on the Reverend Billy G using a brown deluxe. Ive read everything available including detailed notes from the engineer of all the classic 70s albums and he says itwas a master modded MARSHALL. Ive read nowhere from any eyewitness source Billy used a brown deluxe although ive read the rumour. It sure sounds more like a deluxe than a marshall but billy isnt really known for hiding his gear .

ocduff likes this.
  4. guitarmojo

guitarmojo TDPRI Member

IDK. I always wanted a Twin Reverb and was able to buy a '71 for $700, previously owned by Darryl Hall, then by James Hunter. It's heavy and ungainly, but I think its just so cool. IDC if the price ever goes up, as I'm never selling it. I might go looking for a DR is I ever start gigging again though...

jimytheassassin and AJ Love like this.
  5. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Holic

I for one welcome our new professional guitarist overlords.

From now on, gear acquisitions and all associated discussion shall be limited to those levels of technology and craftsmanship that matches the player's technical ability and market penetration in a yet-to-be-determined formula that will be the sole discretion of the management.

aerhed, rob2, lil scotty and 6 others like this.
  6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I don't have a chance to play such gigs, but still I say: AMEN.

Yes, that's a great way of putting it. That metaphor also sprung to mind when I was playing once through a Twin Reverb at a Guitar Shop. The feeling was quite like when my high school buddy and I would take to the road with his father's 1960's Pontiac Firebird with a 405 in it. Just goose the pedal a bit, and you could feel the power. You always knew that if you dug in a little, you might not only destroy the 1990's Corvette at the stoplight next to you, but also yourself. Hold on tight!

You snarky ba$tard! Love it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I like the way you talk.

8. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I don't buy amps to sell so I buy what I want.

As far as amp size goes I used to do a monthly open mic night at a small bar with a co worker who also played. It was more like an artist showcase as people would get a 20-30 minute set depending on participation. We provided the PA, mics and I would bring a cheap Pulse drum set for community use. If they wanted an amp they had to bring theirs or just plug into the PA.

I learned that I much preferred people who brought a Twin Reverb sized amp with a pedal board versus the people who brought low wattage amps like a Deluxe Reverb or Princeton with no pedalboard. The low wattage guys always seemed to insist on turning up to get their sound. All the audience cares about is if it's too loud or not. They are more interested in the abilities of the vocalist and if the rhythm is something of their liking.

Telecastoff1, noah330 and AJ Love like this.
  9. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

This thread is making me want to ditch my current amp project and get my Twin out and change the filter caps etc. after it has been sitting for 15 years. Fact is that I loved playing through that amp. I was younger and stronger and it was a workhorse. Then I "downsized" to a Sampson 30W for about 10 years. Now I "just" use a home-brew 5E5A. Where's that Twin?? :)

10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I put removable casters on my SuperReverb and it sure makes things a lot easier. I roll it out of my downstairs closet, down one half step into my garage, then roll down the driveway to the back of my gig SUV. It's a very short lift into the back of the SUV. Then when I get to the gig I roll it
    over to my playing spot. Never more than a step or two at most to worry about. I lay it on its side and pull the casters out, set it back upright, tilt it back on the tilt arms, and then I'm ready to play. I can even put my duffel bag full of extension cords, pedalboard, and other accessories on top of the amp. It is arguably physically easier than carrying something like my SuperChamp, which is a heavy little bugger. The tall shape of the SR also makes it easy to push in this mode. With a Twin Reverb or squatter amp you have to bend over more to push it (unless you also use it as a gear caddy for something else riding on top).

The amp already had the female receptacles for the casters installed by a prior owner. I was able to find the matching casters on line and they fit like a charm....

Of course if you're playing out in the country and have to deal with gravel or dirt driveways then casters don't work as well....especially in the rain or snow.

[​IMG]

noah330 likes this.
  11. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Whatever the trends, I really want a BF Super Reverb! I wish someone would give me one...

12. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've seen them for like $650 with newer speakers. It's nuts.

I paid a pittance for my '65 Bandmaster head. I made a 2x10" combo out of it and can't believe it's basically too loud for me to use pretty much anywhere. 40Watts with inefficient speakers.

13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Well, maybe the "semi pros" who complain about the "tools" being scarfed up by collectors will finally stop complaining and buy some big maps!

14. Mojo Brown

Mojo Brown TDPRI Member

While I quoted you in my retort, it was more of a general response from what I have gathered browsing through this forum my first weekend here(not all meant to be aimed at you). Though I will say, when people try to use milliennial in a since of which you did, I find it classless. Probably my bad for being an overly sensitive milliennial. :p:)

Electric guitars have always required an amp. We can agree on that. But it has not always required you go out and buy the biggest most popular amp of the times.

Sub 30 watt amps are not a new thing either. All these guys who can't sell their overpowered vintage bedroom amps could have easily went a different route.

My Super is an original 65. Now I'm not old enough to have bought this new, but let's pretend I was. While we're at it, let's say I only know a handful of songs and play a juke joint once or twice a month. I would have never bought a Super Reverb. I would have looked for something much smaller, something that suits my needs as a player. A Marshall 1958 comes to mind. Think they are 20 watters. That would have been my choice... in 1965. But I also could have chosen from a whole list of amp from Fender, ranging from champs to deluxes that are all sub 20 watt amps. And that's just one manufacturer.

These amps value have skyrocketed. Again this is a demand thing. These are actual vintage amps that the run of the mill guitarist can jam with in most settings from a bedroom to a bar. And there is no denying their amazing tone. There is a huge market for them.

There have always been really really really good options out there. Rather or not one was willing to explore those options is on them. But to just spew out opinions so strongly because ... I don't, whatever reasons it a tad ludicrous. But I guess I get it, musicians are passionate people so they will be passionate about what they believe to be true.

I guess what I'm getting at here is it's not that these amps are losing there place among musicians. It's more that musicians are figuring out after years of having more amp than they need, that they don't actually need it. Especially when there are and always have been multiple great options available. These large amps still have their place, that's never really changed.

SheldonP and kookaburra like this.
  15. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

I have a 5e3 2x10 combo, a Marshall-style 18 watt combo and DR type combo, all home-built. No big iron, however cool it would be to build one. If one of the ones I have isn't enough, I can keep adding another combo till I'm loud enought, ha! I would still buy a Twin Reverb if one came along at a reasonable price. Those things have a mojo that comes through no matter how quiet or loud you play them.

16. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Had trouble shifting? I just bought a Vibrolux. It is heavier than I thought but it'll be my gig amp.

17. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Was on eBay for 3 months. That's here in Australia. Rare export multivoltage, new caps, bias adjust fitted but original cover and speakers. The cabinet had a few bucks, chrome some tarnish but it was overall clean and original. Original footswitch.

Sounded great. BF'd Vibrato, reverb and trem and Brownfaced Normal channel, needed nothing spent, fabulous Fender sounds from two eras.

Several tyre kickers, lots of lowball offers.

lil scotty likes this.
  18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I rolled my Twin on casters from the van to the front door of my amp tech (40 year vet with Fender) and he came running out of the shop like there was fire. He very bluntly told me to never roll an amp across pavement like that again. He claimed that doing so will destroy the amp in short time by transferring the vibration right to the solder points. Casters were fine for rolling across a studio floor, but never on pavement. I thought he was half-kidding and laughed it off, but he was pissed when I started to roll it the rest of the way to the door and grabbed it himself to carry inside.....all 125 lbs of it. I carried it back to my van later and up 2 flights of stairs in my house...not my favorite experience.

His suggestion was to carry the damn thing or else set it down on a padded cart. I have it in my practice room upstairs and it will not likely be moved much, so it is a moot point, but something to consider.

jimytheassassin likes this.
  19. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

If you can play loud youre lucky. These days i usually play louder at home than they let me play in the clubs. I did an outdoor gig a couple saturdays ago and finally got to crank up a bit. Thats cause i was unmiked and had to be present to people up to 300 feet away. That was with a 15 watt amp. A twin would still have been too much amp.

20. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

I would say that most of us, non professionnals or semi professionnals guitarists, mostly play in small to medium places. Therefore a 15 to let’s say 30 watts amp would be fine. I also think that the volume of live bands, in these small venues is not as loud as it used to be in the ‘70. So, I don’t see in a near futur music stores stacking a lot of big old style powerfull amps that have no real market for. This trend has made the market for small vintage amps explode. Is a ‘56 5E3 Deluxe worth $5000 to $8000? Well, is a wooden weels 1885 bicycle worth $4000? The current market says yes. If I was a serious investor, I woudn’t touch the vintage amps market. Then again, I am a poor fool...

MilwMark and Bob M like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.