Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Weird Al Yankovic's lesser known parodies

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone

That's awesome. I still love that Kurt Cobain, when Weird Al said he was covering 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was so enthused he arranged most of the same extras including the janitor, gym, lent his guitar, sweatshirt and virtually co-produced the video. I think they might even have cut footage between them.

hdvades, dr_tom and darkwaters like this.

2. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu

This thread brought tears to my eyes i laughed so hard.

Thank you

3. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    That was Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, who happened to meet Yankovic while he was rehearsing outside Dr. Demento's radio studio in preparation for playing the song live on air. Schwartz offered to bang on Yankovic's accordion case to keep time, and the latter agreed. 37 years later, Schwartz is still Weird Al's drummer. The guitarist and bassist Yankovic hired later that year to serve as his first touring band are still with him, too. I always thought that said something about Weird Al Yankovic.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017

4. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Kids today don't know what they missed out on. Of course I missed out on a lot of s**t too.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Way before most of the rest of you knew of him, I was listening to his demo tapes on the Dr. Demento show in the early 1980's. They were recorded in the men's room of the KMET radio station and are in my opinion his greatest work.

beyer160 likes this.

6. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I concur. I used to listen to Dr. Demento every Sunday night on an old transistor radio pressed to my ear in bed after I was supposed to be asleep. It was a major operation in my house for a kid to pull off without getting busted, and I used to pretend I was a secret agent.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I'd listen to it with headphones, and I'd tape cardboard over the tuner of my stereo so it would not give off any light. Oh, those were the days!

beyer160 likes this.

8. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Ha! Once I graduated to having a real stereo, I used electrical tape to black out mine- I imagine it was a rite of passage for all of us of that era, like reading comic books under the covers with a flashlight. In Junior High I once stayed up until 2am to record The Song Remains The Same being played in its entirety on the radio (WBLM "The Blimp", then at 107.5 out of Lewiston, Maine). My room was next to my parents', so the tape flip in the middle around 1am was a MAJOR special operations mission. I actually rehearsed flipping the tape and rewinding to the start of side 2 until I could do it pretty quietly. IIRC, I used a towel pressed against the tape deck to mute the rewind and the clunk of the transport stopping and re-engaging. Honestly, saving the cost of buying a double album (I wasn't old enough to work yet) was secondary to the thrill of getting away with it. I was able to brag to my friends at school about it, too! Those were the days, all right. That was Junior High, the bar for hijinks was soon to get a lot higher (so to speak).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.