Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Weird Al Yankovic's lesser known parodies

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Okay for almost 40 years, Weird Al has been the go-to guy when it comes to making fun of big charting hits and people like Michael Jackson, Madonna and Kurt Cobain have shown their funny bone by not only letting him make the parodies but also getting involved with the process.

For "Fat", the parody of "Bad" Michael Jackson actually helped Weird Al hire the actual set where the original video was shot.

For "Like a surgeon", the Parody of "Like a virgin" Madonna actually suggested the title to Weird Al and he ran with it.

But for every well known parody, there are a couple which weren't so well known and I figured it to be fun to start a thread about those.

"A Complicated song" is a spoof of Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" and she actually wrote the second verse.

"Gump" is the parody of the Presidents of the United States of America' s "Lump" and it basically sums up the entire Forrest Gump movie in a few minutes. When Getting in touch with the Presidents, lead singer Chris Ballew insisted that Al should add the line "And that's all I have to say about that" since the Presidents had been ending that song when they played it live. Weird Al Obliged

"Bedrock Anthem" is Weird Al's Red Hot Chili Peppers parody, combining "Under the bridge" with "Give it away" and featuring a cameo of the actual bee-girl from the video from Blind Melon's "No Rain" Anthony Kiedis wasn't all that impressed with the result. Saying that he felt that Weird Al wasn't really trying.

1 person likes this.

2. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2017
    Alberta Canada
    "White n Nerdy" has a lot more views than the original.

3. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2017
    Alberta Canada
    And "Amish Paradise" is pretty good too.

Back in the day, I enjoyed lots of his B-side stuff. Nature Trail to Hell, Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White...

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

4. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    Here are my favorites:

5. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    I've always liked Al .. Of the lesser know ones this one always makes me smile:

6. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    The night Santa went crazy.

Still a favorite

7. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Weird Al did this parody of Lady Gaga, and approached her management for permission. They gave an automated no. So he released the audio on Vimeo for free. She rang him and said where's the clip? When he told her her management declined she said 'WtF! When Weird Al covers you, you know you're made!' and explicitly gave him permission. He was born same day as me - I found this out after devrloping my liking for Hawaiian shirts!

8. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I always liked this one. Not a direct parody of any particular song but a doo-wop 'style parody.'

A recent favorite is this CSN pastiche off of his last album. It's not quite Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, but it shares a lot of the same DNA.

9. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Virginia
    Crap, thought I posted this hours ago!

It's crazy, when you think about it, but I'd imagine Weird Al is one of the best songwriters of our time. You get that deep into parody for that long, you can't help but learn what makes great pop music, and I think that comes through VERY strongly in his originals. "You Don't Love Me Anymore", as posted above, is a great example of this, but a personal favorite of mine is probably "Hardware Store".

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    We've all been here

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    At the advent of the nineties, Weird Al had become a Has-been, his move "UHF" bombed and many figured that was it for the good man. So when the sessions began for what would be his "Off the deep end" album, Weird Al was well aware that he needed a BIG hit to re-establish himself.

So he did what he had done before and got in touch with Michael Jackson who started the nineties with a VERY strong song "Black or white" which Weird Al promptly changed into "Snack all night" he send over the demo to MJ but much to his surprise, the gloved one's reply was one of "No." Because MJ wanted to make a strong statement and a parody version wasn't at all welcome.

"Snack all night" live prior to the "off the deep end" record being released.

So, class act as he is, Weird Al complied, "Snack all night" was never released and the big hit he needed came when he got in touch with Kurt Cobain to do a parody of "Smells like Teen Spirit" at which Cobain gave the go-ahead pretty much straight away, resulting in Weird Al's biggest hit ever: "Smells like Nirvana"

Here's "I love Rocky Road" which was his parody of "I love Rock N Roll"

12. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

One of my faves hop this works.

13. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    My introduction to Weird Al (and thus my default fave) was a Dr Demento audio (don't believe there was ever a video) of "Another One Rides the Bus", a parody of Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" It sounded like Al on accordian and someone on cardboard box (or SOMETHING) for percussion. I could just picture a couple of nerds in a High School talent show, had no idea Al really DID look like a nerd....I think I like parodies that are off the cuff on odd instruments, rather than his later stuff which made carbon copies of the original....regardless, the guy is incredibly talented and clever. I would love to find an accordian-playing frontman for a "straight" rock-n-roll band.

Has anyone tried putting an accordian through a Leslie or RotoVibe?

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I stand corrected, there is a video....

16. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    Sweden
    "Try parodying one of my songs now, you stupid bastard!!"

17. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    Love this! Using Donny is just brilliant. :lol:

18. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    ebay's not my style, or type of music.

I prefer Craigslist (not really, it's a similar local site but not the same), and I prefer the music:

No music, but this great:

20. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

It’s a little over a month old so I feel that it’s not a Zombie thread.
    Just found this from Weird Al.

A yes it’s political but please mods it’s poking fun at ourselves. May be add a comment or two.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.