Weber Z-Matcher

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Milspec, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

The concept of this device sounds good to me as I have several cabs with different ohms ratings that I would like to try out with various amp heads, but does this device work without losing a lot of output or other negative side-effects?

I guess what really worries me is what happens if something goes wrong internally and leaves the amp facing an incompatible ohms rating? Can you really rely on such a device?

Most of my heads are vintage Fenders running into a 4 ohm 2x12 cabinet. I also have a few clone heads that are switchable from 8 to 16 ohms output which presently run through a pine 1x12. I spent a lot of money on that 2x12 cabinet and the speakers sound great so if I was able to run everything through that same 2x12 4 ohm it would simplify a lot of things.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Must be a rarely used duck....must be a reason for that. I guess I will not chance it then.

3. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I've got one that I'll never sell, sometimes you just need it and it works perfectly!

spellcaster and Dukex like this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I've had one on my workbench for years. No issues.

Dukex likes this.
  5. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

My standard Weber tip: email CJ and tell him what you want, and what you want to avoid.
    He will steer you straight. They are not in the business of just selling whatever.
    First time I was in touch with CJ, he talked me into a cheaper speaker based on what I said I wanted. He was right.

Milspec, Alex W and Dukex like this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What @alathIN said. CJ has always provided me with the best advice on Weber products. He will recommend what you actually need and not upsell you. Expect a very concise reply, as he's a busy guy.

Milspec and Dukex like this.
  7. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Weber = quality. There is not a piece of equipment ever made that can't fail. Yes, call C.J. and discuss. I've had one for a few years and, like grolan1, will never sell it.

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

a friend of mine has a Weber Mass attenuator (a proto type) its not as pretty as the comercial units but its built like a tank a serious tank and works really well

instead of using an 8 OHM resister it uses a mass speaker driver , there not much to these units but what is there is serious stuff

867e65f705f33102256f35a4f9f1771f.gif IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0871.JPG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0876.JPG

Milspec likes this.
  9. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I have a Weber Z matcher and it works great. I have not noticed any change in output.

10. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Also have a Weber Z matcher...works great, no issues and will never sell. Its an indispensable little tool for my stable of spkrs/cabs.

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.