Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Weber amp kits

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by homesick345, Apr 5, 2012.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I'm considering a 6G16 Vibroverb build. What is the concensus concerning Weber quality for kits, trannies, etc...?? Anybody here tried a 6G16 kit from Weber, or any other kit? Thanks for your input

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Weber doesn't sell a kit for a brown Vibroverb.

3. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2006
    Maryland
    Unless you are are on a tight budget, source your own tubes.

Switches, jacks and pots are just good enough, they work fine, but there is a high probability at some point in the future you will wish you had used better parts when you start to get intermittent problems. Of course if you are on a budget, you can go back in and replace them later when/if they start to fail.

Resistors and caps are not boutique quality, not that matters a hoot. If it matters to you, then a Weber kit is not for you in the first place.

Transformers are like the resistors and caps, fine pieces, but, they tend to be generic so might not be exact spec for what you are building. The Heybor and MM OT's are an improvement, but the Weber's are fine.

Chassis, cab and speakers are on par with the best out there.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. muchxs

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    The "clone" concept is to build a replica as close as possible to the original. That's the benchmark.

Wait 'til you see my '63 Vibro Champ. :D

Weber's '60s chassis kits are better than Mojo's but not even close to OEM. They're formed on a pressbrake with integral ends. Original Fender used stamped ends. The OEM chassis was assembled as a weldment. They're similar to Fender's own reissues. The originals never had IEC connectors and Weber's do.

6. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
  7. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I sure understand & agree. But at $600-700 for a 6G16 210 combo with alnico speakers & authentic circuitry must be hard to beat.

8. muchxs

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    How 'bout that? I shoulda figured there was a reason Weber sold the tapped pots used in the tone stack.

9. boyhowdy

boyhowdy TDPRI Member

May 12, 2010
    sf
    I have a weber princeton clone (bought off ebay), I am the second owner. The amp was built stock to weber spec from kit (no substitutions). The builder's work quality appears to be very good and all voltages and resistances measure to weber's spec (more on that later).

I'll vouch for the "replace the pots" if only that they feel cheap. I have no idea if they are better or worse than the alternative.

Ditto with the switches.

The jacks appear to be metal switchcraft.

As stated the voltages measure to weber spec. However, the weber design (faithful to a blackface princeton by 99%) differs in one key way. The power transformer taps are the lower 270V-270V and not the 340V-340V. So ... plate voltage at the power tubes is around 310V, not the 420V spec from Fender. The result is a "browner" sound (brown princeton's use this lower voltage tap too), lower headroom. I have no experience with these earlier brown princetons so I have no basis for comparison. I ASSUME that the lower voltage taps were used because at the time of Weber's design new production 6v6 tubes were not robust enough to handle 420V (as by design a 6v6 is rated at only 310V) I have read in other posts that its OK to swap the taps so that the plate voltages are up to 420V (original BFPR spec). I plan to swap the tap this summer (when I have time) and know a little more about it.

As far as sound, I bought this amp to play in the basement when nobody is home so the low headroom/early break up is OK at this point.

I'll take this amp over the current production Fenders in a heartbeat.

10. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2008
    Nevada
    Weber amp kits are great value for the price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.