Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

weber 5e3 build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Finastbeans, Feb 26, 2011.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I think you're going to need a hotter iron for your grounds. The brass plate acts as a heat sink and requires a lot of heat to get a good connection.

Regarding transformers, take a look at the Weber Proluxe for ideas. I started with one, didn't like it, and changed it to cathode bias. The multi-tap OT allows me to optimize it for 6L6's w/GZ34 or 6V6's w/5Y3. Sounds close to an old cathode bias Pro with the 6L6's for around 25 watts of power. The main differences are the transformers, filter caps and, of course, tubes and a more efficient speaker. It's a really versatile setup.

2. Mitch76

Mitch76 TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Tennessee
    Beans,

Did you wind up using a toggle for cathode bypass caps? I did that on my (octal preamp) deluxe and the results were pretty subtle. Was wondering if it worked better for you.

3. mgwhit

mgwhit Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    One trick you can do to keep the brass plate (and not have to totally redo your entire ground scheme) is to snip small tabs in the plate, punch holes in the tabs and bend them up at a 90 degree angle -- like solder lugs. That way there's less surface area next to the solder point for the heat to dissipate across.

4. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2003
    Magdalena, NM, US

5. Jack Knife

Oct 24, 2003
    Magdalena, NM, US
    I always wondered why more people didn't do this.

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    It's tough to solder a lead to a flat surface with no mechanical connection. Solder isn't glue.

I blew a few bucks on a high-powered soldering gun, probably won't ever use it again. :rolleyes:

That's a great idea! I'd have done mine that way if I'd thought of it.

7. Finastbeans

Finastbeans TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland (DC area)
    Good stuff... for now I put a terminal strip and grounded to that instead of the plate. I didnt want to dissassemble the whole deal right now. The terminal strip is in turn grounded to the neg side of the first filter cap. There are still a few connections to the brass plate, which havent been switched over and im hoping these hold.

The cathode bypass makes a difference, especially when cranked. So far, I use 0.68uF with hot humbuckers.

8. Finastbeans

Finastbeans TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland (DC area)
    I went with an OT from Allen that has the 4ohm tap... are you saying i could swap in 6L6's with a rectifier change? can i do that with the stock weber 5e3 PT?

9. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Nov 23, 2009
    so. cal
    Here's the first post from the weber forum which explains the basic idea. Ya oughta sign up over there-some good info.

grounding_Scheme.jpg (47.1 KB, 864x695 - viewed 2058 times.)

Instead of using the tie mounts, I flew my pre-amp buss wire about .5 inch off the back of the pots and jacks, using 20 ga. tinned buss wire from the buss to the ground lugs on the pots/jacks for support, then tied the rest of the preamp ground wires to the buss.

10. Jack Knife

Oct 24, 2003
    Magdalena, NM, US
    Actually I do have an account over there. Just made the comment for the people here who don't.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.