Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Webcor Reel to Reel conversion thread

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by ArcticWhite, May 17, 2018.

1. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    Portland Oregon
    Just picked up this Webcor Royal Coronet, Model 2612 Reel to Reel, for 20 bucks. And course, the guy threw in a Model 2130 as well. (The tweed amd brown one.)
    And at the last minute, a Wilcox-Gay Recordio disc cutting record machine. What!?!?!? (Pictures to come.)

Anyway this is the opening salvo in my latest turn-it-into-a-guitar amp thread series. For what it's worth I've done a couple of these, but once again, I don't really know what I'm doing. But generally, they turn out okay.( My Karmann Screamer blisters paint. Thread forthcoming. )
    Tube lineup is a pair of 12ax7s and a pair of 6v6gts. Rectifier is a 6X5.
    First chore will be cutting out all the crap that isn't an amplifier. Second chore is to decide whether to strip it completely, and figure out what I should make out of it , or merely do the minimum - recap and build a new tone stack.
    Ideas?
    20180517_004707.jpg

20180517_004646.jpg

20180517_004733.jpg

20180517_004739.jpg

20180517_004744.jpg

The freebie.

20180517_010919.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Jake Nelson and SecretSquirrel like this.

2. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 28, 2017
    Quantum Entanglement
    Whoa! Artic White, I think we are living in parallel, I’m currently converting a Wilcox-Gay Recordio into a combo amp. I know we both recently completed AO- conversions, but I never told you about my old gulbransen to Leslie and 18watt that’s also kicking around in my studio. Coincidence abounds.

ArcticWhite likes this.

3. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    Portland Oregon
    Dude. DUUUUUUDE!?!
    I converted a Gulbransen Leslie about five years ago. Did you know that? Did you do a thread on yours?
    Also, is your Wilcox-Gay Recordio a tape recorder, or a record lathe?
    Here's my Leslie.
    20180420_225551.jpg 20180420_225508.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Jake Nelson likes this.

4. magic smoke

May 28, 2017
    Quantum Entanglement
    IMG_0905.JPG

Yours looks great! I used the fascia wood from the Leslie to build a hi-fi cabinet and left mine ”studio raw” I had the same chassis but only used the transformers to make a p2p 18 watt . It consistently drops jaws when new people come to my studio.

IMG_0906.JPG

I guess now I’ll have to make a thread about converting this one . I should have known this would happen when I changed my location to “quantum entanglement “ PM me a link to your band, I’m willing to bet we make similar music too! Sorry for the brief thread hijack, I’ll be following along happily.

Jake Nelson and ArcticWhite like this.

5. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    Maybe a balanced microphone preamp? Could be an interesting mono drum OH or for an old-timey acoustic sound.

ArcticWhite likes this.

6. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2006
    Chicago
    Congrats on great scores..!

SUB-SCRIBED.

If there is a particular hole in your amp arsenal that this could fill given the guts you’ve Already got, then baby figure out how to build that. Otherwise, if you are hot to trot are you getting it going, do the minimum. Of course, the advice that none of us really want to “leave it alone until you know” but, as I say nobody really wants to hear that, as with much easier said than done

ArcticWhite likes this.

7. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Nice find! PP 6v6 is a pretty beefy power section for a reel to reel. Most of the ones I've seen are single ended and lower power tubes like 12BH7 or 6sn7. Personally I've been itching to build something based off of a GA-20t ranger schematic, those are just spectacular sounding amps... If I had that reel to reel that is probably what it would become, but with that tube complement you have the basic ingredients of a lot of classic amps.

ArcticWhite likes this.

8. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    Portland Oregon
    Love the idea of that Gibson Ranger. I just downloaded the schematic for it and listened to The Guitologist's YouTube demo of his. Great sounding amp! It's a pretty major build though...
    I'm still finishing up my AO-35 Karmen Screamer so I have some time before I start this one.

9. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    Portland Oregon
    That's a really interesting idea.
    Do you have a schematic you can recommend?

10. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    ?? Why ?? I guess I just like old junk but I would leave all of those as originally designed and fix them. Maybe you have no use for that but I hate to see this old equipment ravaged (at least to me). But that is just me...don't mean to offend anyone here.

jack76 likes this.

11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Love it!

Lots of cool amps to be found, hiding out in old forgotten machines.

12. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    That demo is what got me interested in them as well. It could be a much simpler build if you just built the non tremolo channel, which would make sense since you don't have the tubes for the trem channel in this tape deck.

ArcticWhite likes this.

13. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Duluth, MN
    Subscribed! I got a webcor 2131 at a junk shop with 6v6 PP, 12ax7, 12au7 all for $20. i did buy a 5e3 small parts kit so i could use new components.
    IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG

ArcticWhite and Nickfl like this.

14. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    I totally get when you're coming from and I feel kind of bad every time I "harvest" one of these old machines... but I still do it whenever I get the chance. The way I see it is like an old factory building becoming a hipster bar or something. Some people may not like what it has become compared to what it once was but it's better than it being abandoned. And let's face it, these old portable reel to reels aren't worth repairing to listen to, they were mostly lo-fi, mono units, not something you would make the centerpiece of an audiophile listening room... If they were, people wouldn't be giving them away.

15. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    No, sorry. That kind of stuff is way out of my league. The only place I could think to even direct you might be diyaudio.com.

16. magic smoke

May 28, 2017
    Quantum Entanglement
    I agree with both of you. One should evaluate each machine as it comes through their hands. When it comes to vintage gear I try to make a rough equation. Will my conversion work degrade the original piece considering current applications in modern times? V. Will my work keep valuable components of highest quality from heading to the landfill for a few more decades? This is usually not a binary decision. Example; When considering a well built and functioning organ, this is an instrument of high order engineering and design. There isn't anyone manufacturing these things anymore. To "harvest" or "convert" is a degradation of the original unit. OTOH, There is plenty of antique gear which is one last craigslist post from the dumpster. Almost always the seller has no knowledge of or interest in the healthy components that are about to be consigned to rust. The transformers and tubes in question were made at the height of Industrial manufacturing prowess from the best quality of natural resources easily accessible to humans. I'm an advocate of any work that prolongs the life of these prime materials, especially if they are turned into a tool of higher order for artistic expression. Keep up the good work @Articwhite

Last edited: May 18, 2018

17. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    Portland Oregon
    Mine don't work. And I'm keeping them out of a landfill which is where they were headed.
    These are old, and weren't very good when new. Better tape recorders exist, and anyone serious about reel to reel has a 900 dollar TEAC or something better.
    No one listens to music on reel to reel anymore. Except a few old guys who already have players.
    If you want either of mine to restore, send me 50 bucks plus another 100 for shipping. They weigh almost 50 pounds each. Then budget another 50 for parts, and weeks of labor to fix a thing no one will use.

Snfoilhat likes this.

18. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    Portland Oregon
    I have boxes of tubes. And sockets. Not a problem. And I dig tremolo.

19. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    If you really want a challenge, consider turning one into a tape delay... I've often thought that could be a cool project for one of these old tape decks, though it would probably be a lot of work.

20. bigguy12321

bigguy12321 Tele-Meister

Jul 13, 2012
    Traverse City Mi.
    @ArcticWhite
    Check out radiomuseum.org

a

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.