Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Web find: Palletcaster builders, check this out...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by edvard, Apr 17, 2017.

1. edvard

edvard Tele-Meister

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I found a very nice website all about reclaiming pallets. It's mainly targeted to the DIY furniture builder crowd, but has lots of useful information about working with pallet wood. (I did a search for it before posting and didn't find anything, hopefully I'm not re-hashing info someone else has already posted. Also, I have no affiliation with this site at all, just hoping to help others like myself whose main source of guitar building materials is the lowly pallet.)

1001pallets.com
    http://www.1001pallets.com
    Surprisingly, no palletcaster plans on the site, but there are some VERY useful articles on finding out if your pallet is possibly toxic, and how to best dismantle your pallets:

How To Tell If A Pallet Is Safe For Reuse?
    http://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/
    8 Ways To Dismantle A Wooden Pallet
    http://www.1001pallets.com/how-to-dismantle-a-wooden-pallet/
    ^^ I wish I had known about Method 1 about 3 pallets ago... :eek::cool:
    Anyways, I found the site to be informative, hope it helps someone else as well.

2. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
  3. DrASATele

DrASATele Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Oh, this is nice.

I bet Trev, Rex and a few other here could write a book on it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I made several out of pallets and I got tired of tearing pallets apart. I can buy Alder for about $20 a 2 piece body... It is just not worth my time and energy tearing apart pallets and then the time jointing them to get a 4 to 7 piece body. While it is cool and hip to say "look what I made out of a pallet" and I have said that, These days I would rather make a nice guitar out of alder. That said, I do have some 2x8 blocking wood out of a a trailer used to transport forklifts...

6. edvard

edvard Tele-Meister

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    You know, I hear you, seriously. It would be so much easier to simply buy the boards required and start digging into the project at hand rather than go through all the trouble. "It's free if your time is worthless" and all that jazz... But here's the thing, there was a time when I was younger I'd save my nickels for months hoping to afford a hardwood body blank (because that's what I'd always been told I needed to make a proper guitar), only to have to spend the money on an overlooked bill or medical situation; it was frustrating, to say the least. Even these days, $20 for a few Alder boards is too often simply not in the budget. I almost gave up.

Fast forward to a couple years ago, and I discovered I could build a guitar body out of plain ol' pine and it'd turn out just fine. Then, holy smokes, I found out that some pallets were made of hardwood, so now I take home a pallet from work and I have enough wood for a body or two for no more money than the gas used to get my butt home (which would be happening anyway). This isn't about impressing anybody with my pallet-busting skills, it's about finally being able to build the guitar I've wanted since I was 15 (I'm 46 now) and I don't have to re-arrange my finances to make it happen. Then, the little I have been able to save I can spend on the really important stuff I can't get for free or make myself (hardware, pickups, neck, etc).

So there you have it. I fully understand your position, but in my situation, the time and energy are more than worth it. Speaking of which, I gotta update my build thread... ;)

Newbcaster likes this.
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

There were a couple times in my life when I wouldn't have been able to afford the gas to take the free pallet home, so I totally get what you are saying. Sometimes we forget that we all can't afford fancy tuners, custom bridges, and spiral router bits. The building is the journey and the materials are kind of secondary. It's about what makes you happy. There are plenty of people here who would be happy to tear apart a nice pallet. Every time I see one available, I'm in the wrong vehicle. The first build challenge held here was to build a guitar for under a hundred dollars. In my opinion, that one was the best one.

8. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol: Ugggh, pallet wood.... they're either hard heavy hardwood or cheap knotty pine, around here... not real good dimensionaly for bodies...

I'm strictly a roof rafter kinda scrounger.... they usually put light, strong, straight, timbers up in roofs, the least knotty.... and the old ones have been cured in a warm dry space usually....no more shrinkage, etc...

pulling pallets apart to make guitars sounds like hard work.....:D

telemnemonics and DrASATele like this.
  9. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've made guitars from reclaimed wood and it's fun and kind of cool to say you did it but it's also a pain in the butt, and the wood isn't necessarily any better because it's old, weather stained, and full of nail holes.

I go to the hardwood lumber yard and look through the bins for boards that have the weight, grain, and straightness I want. Honor the labor involved in cutting and milling wood.

DrASATele likes this.
  10. Jdelys

Jdelys Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Missoula, Montana
    For me personally, the amount of time spent or saved using pallet / reclaimed wood is irrelevant. If you want a guitar that looks like it's made from reclaimed wood, no amount of "relicing" matches the real thing. If you want a painted guitar then use a different, more appropriate material.

Bill Hubbard likes this.
  11. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I made this guitar out of a pallet... there... I said it.

El Rey de Cobre.jpg

12. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Norway
    Build build? As in use $10 K in tools to make $100 guitars?

13. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Awesome site, thanks for posting.

14. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    No , use $100 in material to make a priceless guitar ;)

R. Stratenstein and Rock-Ola like this.
  15. edvard

edvard Tele-Meister

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Haha, it is! But it's a labor of love... ;)
    Besides, I now have a few more tricks up my sleeve to make it even less work.

Very true. If you want the "rustic" look, it's perfect, but I agree old and beat-up doesn't automatically mean "good"... That part is up to the builder.

Agree to the first part, the second, well... painting the thing covers up those filled nail-holes, water-stains, and gnarly grain streaks. So, I'd say painting is even more appropriate for reclaimed wood guitars! :p

Wow, that's a pretty cool hunk of plank! Is the fingerboard reclaimed as well? I think I see a knot-hole... :eek:

Point taken, but I already had most of the tools, and the $100 is then spent on things other than the body. Win-win!

You're very welcome, glad you liked it.

Nailed it. :cool:

OR do you mean "priceless" as in nobody in their right mind would buy one from you? o_O

16. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The body is made from a pallet, all 7 pieces came from the same pallet... the neck is flame maple I found at Home Depot in their lumber and the fretboard is bocote made out of one of those little 3"x18"x1/4" craft pieces of wood they sell at Woodcraft.

img00248a.jpg

edvard likes this.
  17. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    I almost CRIED when I read this. I was a poor 10 yr old kid who, growing up in an Asian home... there was just NO way my mother would have allowed me to own a guitar SHE paid for. I wasnt allowed a job either because, well, Asian stereotypes are true. Besides it was too loud and at the ripe old age of 10 i was told to grow up, and just keep reading books. And if i had managed to cobble one together... shed never let me have an amp.. its too loud lol.

But i read Melvin Hiscock's Build your own electric guitar and that sent me on a journey and a half. life intervened. living in apartments, dorms.. grad school, girlfriends..

oh sure I bought guitars but adhd and realizing i hated them because they were just wrong somehow...it needed to be perfect. especially the neck. and buying beater guitars from pawnshops that werent some magical deal...just made me feel poor and i resented that.

And then i never had the patience to build all these jigs many of you have. Building a guitar was more like inventing a Rube Goldberg machine in order to make a guitar.

Imagine knowing everything about Brian May's guitar but never building it because it had to be a perfect replica. And then there was the guilt... I have dogs, I have family, they need this or that.

Realizing I could build a guitar out of a 2x4 or a pallet was, positively freeing and uplifting. It's essentially free.

Now at 43 I have good tools, big house etc. I have plenty of good wood. Walnut, Spanish cedar, Redwood, Honduran Mahogany, etc. But a douglas fir tele with tone chambers and 24 frets(because 21 frets drives me NUTS.. ocd) is the bombdiggity of guilt free and cheap

Mom moved out and stopped calling when I got my 100watt full stack. told the girlfriend of 20 years, who was extremely happy my mother finally moved out, that she'd be joining her if she gave me any lip about my loud amp and pedals.

Poster child for a frustrated musician...

Newb

18. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Awesome post Newb! Is that Gilbert, AZ?

Rex

19. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    We're probably neighbors in Gilbert...

Newbcaster likes this.
  20. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    delete post.. duplicate. thanks mods.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  21. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

Mike, T Rex, I moved to San Tan Valley last year and didn't update. Used to live on Power and Ray roads in Ashley Heights.

I dunno what you are doing today Mike but if you had a second anytime in the next couple of days.

I bought that Whiteside pattern bit and was anxious to use it on this body and neck.. neck was fine...body...another story.

I only have a router table..and holy sheeeeeiznit it scared the bejesus out of me.

Ever get the feeling you are using a tool and God has this Grace Meter that you are very quickly using up and when gone.. you are probably gonna die?

Well that was the router table last night. 20 lbs of wood and mdf template trying to get away from me....

If you have a hand held router and a way to affix the work to the table so we dont kill ourselves.... I got a 12 pack of your choice beer or a half bottle of Bulleit Bourbon to share.

Newb

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.