Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

We Will Always Remember

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by haggardfan1, Apr 19, 2017.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    What, are we not even allowed to say Hurricane Katrina now?

uriah1 likes this.
  2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Y'know, so many things happened on April 19th, some good and some very bad, I really don't know what the OP is talking about.

The Simpsons premiered on April 19th, so I'm going to go with that.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    What in the sam hill is going on! ???

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Only The Shadow knows...

6. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the reminder. That occurred during my first year teaching. Innocent people and little kids. . .a cowardly, inhuman act.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
  8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    And we'd have Nation Health Care, so we would be healthy, but have bad teeth.

9. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    In 1995, I had recently gotten out of the Navy and applied for a job with a national supermarket chain. When I walked in the door and turned on the TV, the OKC Bombing, like all the really horrible events we've shared as a nation, was on EVERY channel, and because of that, I knew that it was bad, and it was serious.

The hiring manager had to take two weeks' bereavement leave to bury her dead, and because of this, my starting date was delayed by two weeks as well.

I remember the day well, even if I didn't remember the date.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I looked it up. And as they say about ww1. Less we forget. I did

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Hah, you'd be part of greater Canada. Now you may be missing teeth but that's from the hockey.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Putting a "name" on a terrible, human "enhanced" natural event does IMO two divergent things: 1) I know so many people around NOLA now who just spew the word Katrina out as a temporal reference point the same way others place something in time relative to when Grandpaw died, or the flour mill closed. The name "Katrina" then has no meaning unto itself, in this context and I don't like it. 2) But I also do not want to emphasize the one event over the entire human event 10 years earlier because "it got a name and the "OKC Bombing" did not.

In some ways the use of a name (for example Nine Eleven) forces us to assign importance to a terrible event. But IMO it shouldn't be a forced thing. We should remember the victims out of our internal sense of respect for those lost and harmed. But when there is no name, or if the descriptive term is so all encompassing, then we got troubles also. The fact that half the posters here don't seem to understand what the thread is about suggests maybe some precise way of describing/naming what happened in Oklahoma on April 19, 1995 probably should have been attempted. Surely at some point the people of Oklahoma City and surrounds must be weary of being defined as "the City that got Bombed".

tonytrout likes this.
  13. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Say, "the city that was bombed" and I suspect many other names pop up in peoples' minds first.
    Say "Oklahoma" and I would suggest most people don't think "bombing".
    Say "Hiroshima" ........ Well, that's a different matter.

Nonetheless, RIP, all innocent victims of bombings.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  14. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    Definitely will not forget those who were lost that day - including little children. :(

Also, the Branch Davidian disaster also happened April 19, 1993.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I think ...

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.