We need more.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Peregrino69, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've read the entire Discworld series over and over again. Watched The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic quite a few times. Right now I'm watching Going Postal.

We need more Discworld movies. Why the heck doesn't someone pick this up... 41 novels in total, amazing world, marvelous storylines... that's a wasted opportunity if I've ever seen one.

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

?

3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I prefer the Sandman. but I have zero confidence they could make a good movie out of it.

I have watched "Hogfather", tho. it was enjoyable.

4. Peregrino69

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about Hogfather! Enjoyable indeed :D

Going postal just finished. Just ... just ... well I can only say I don't often laugh aloud watching a movie. The top comedies usually elicit a lot of smiles and chuckles, but that's it.

And I was even aiming low. This was split in two parts, so most of the book was in. And most of Discworld novels can easily be split in two, so it's twice the opportunity. Just don't do a Jackson with them, please...

5. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

What?

6. Peregrino69

Hmnh? Terry Pratchett, Discworld, 41 novels, ring any bells?

So far four made into movies (or rather 2-part miniseries) and I think we could have more. Most of the books have the material to split them to 2 parts, about 3 hours runtime in total. This being just about the most popular and highly regarded (on literary terms alone) fantasy/comedy series in existence there's enough material for a production company for decades.

Although methinks let Hollywood keep out of it - the existing movies are low-budget, so they rely entirely on the source material, director and the acting chops. Blockbusters tend to rely more on marketing, big names, special FX and speedy delivery, which approach just wouldn't do justice to Pratchett.

"Doing a Jackson" = splitting a book into a trilogy and adding entirely unnecessary extra "excitement" like characters or romantic undertones that don't exist in the source material just to justify the split. Without that Hobbit would've been a 2-part thing.

7. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I'm guessing Pratchett's estate isn't interested in selling out his legacy.

Good.

8. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I've got all the books, but I don't know whether they translate to the big screen.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't think discworld is very well-known in the USA.

10. Peregrino69

Usually I'd agree... but the existing ones are IMO done right. Like I said, they're rather TV miniseries than silver screen movies, and to that they do translate quite well :)

Pratchett has said in interviews that his early US publishers were sloppy with marketing. But apparently that's changing a bit, as there's been a bi-yearly Discworld Convention since 2009 :)

11. w3stie

I'm sure you could make some entertaining films from the books, but they would lose a lot. For example, some of the great prose he wrote, like in Equal Rites

‘The storm walked around the hills on legs of lightning, shouting and grumbling.
    The wizard disappeared around the bend in the track and the goats went back to their damp grazing.
    Until something else caused them to look up. They stiffened, their eyes widening, their nostrils flaring.
    This was strange, because there was nothing on the path. But the goats still watched it pass by until it was out of sight.’
    or

'Mist curled between the houses as the wizard crossed a narrow bridge over the swollen stream and made his way to the village smithy, although the two facts had nothing to do with one another. The mist would have curled anyway: it was experienced mist and had got curling down to a fine art.'​

Such good writing.

rocking rooster likes this.
  12. Peregrino69

True, @w3stie, very true :)

I still enjoy watching talented crew bring the stories to life. Just found out that The Wyrd Sisters has been also published as a TV series. And Good Omens will be coming out this year, yay :D

13. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Terry Pratchett was a superb writer and is much missed in this household. w3stie has hit the nail squarely on the head with his post. One of the joys of reading Pratchett is the descriptive prose which would be totally lost in a film / tv adaptation.
    I've watched some of the films and mini-series that have been made and while they are OK there's definitely something missing.

14. w3stie

But back to your OP, I think there will be more movies. Hollywood seems to have an insatiable thirst for fantasy and comic book themes, and there are hundreds of thousands of Pratchett fans already out there. It just takes the right screenplay and the right director to bring some more of these amazing books to the screen. A lot will be lost due to the nature of the writing, but I think a movie or series of movies along the lines of LOTR or Harry Potter would bring millions more fans to the books.

For a Hollywood blockbuster, which book would you pick? I'd have to go for Guards, guards!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  15. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Have no idea what this thread is about...reading or something. But I saw the title "The Light Fantastic" and couldn't help thinking of this funky rump-shaker:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.