Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

We are all in for it now, Wall Street finds Fender

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by garytelecastor, Dec 12, 2013.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

If I could, I might, but I might think 'no way! that is waaaaay too much!'

I think in his case, money is not a consideration... I was with him when he paid cash for a house (1.5m) he wrote a check for the house.... and his main concern was that it was 'kinda small to have everyone over'.....

just a league I can't comprehend...

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    Wisconsin, USA
    Funny here because we did family circus in a nice Cayman villa. The AMEX, Visa and Verizon statements are now here as a different sort of souvenir.

My wife thinks a guitar more than $300 is crazy, she generally lives extreme frugal, but manages life so we can afford to be in a nice neighborhood, nice home, and she'll spend on travel. If my two nice guitars are expensive I see them as vehicles that take me on a trip every time I touch them.

If pushed, I'll confess I benefit from my wife's values - a lot of them.

:)

3. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.
    Interesting, my wife is the same...and my guitars do the same thing for me!

4. I have a fair number of blackface fender amps that I paid moderate money for..they are all in good shape..I also have an original 1960 5f6A tweed bassman ..I paid 3 grand for the bassman..original but a retweed..someone had tolexed it before I got it...and this sort of discussion happened.."you think you got a good deal..was that worth it for you"...my answer is simply yup...I like it..it is in good shape and its the crown jewel of my amp collection..

5. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Dec 31, 2008
    PA
    I believe the logic goes something like this … say, you’re in your 50’s and instead of looking at that quarterly IRA statement from Chuck, buy a vintage guitar with a few years worth of IRA contributions and you’ll have something to play in addition to just holding your account statement.

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    Wisconsin, USA
    Without the tax benefits and liquidity. The widow or estate attorney pays a vintage dealer 20% to liquidate it, more for the widow to pay if the attorney or agent is doing it.

It's wise to have basic estate planning and finance in order first.

7. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    Skyrocket? No. But you may have noticed that they have gone up some. The new price rose about $50. With so many people raving about how incredible of an instrument/build they are it wouldn't surprise me if they hold their value.

8. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London
    I've got a few old guitars. Two 'bursts, a few early Strats, PAF 335s, and a bucket full of old Marshall/Vox amps, all acquired over 20 years.

I don't think of them as investments, they're guitars to play and enjoy. If they go up, great, if they don't, great. Either way works.

I'd never put genuine investment dollars into a musical instrument. 25 years in financial markets taught me that....but not much else.

9. geddy402

geddy402 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    Baltimore
    Great advice.

Now pics!!!!!

10. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Supply and demand, of course. Hound Dog Taylor's fans have made the demand go up, along with the ignorant investors that believe anything vintage is worth someone's good money.

11. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London

12. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands

13. Well I already made an honest post but something just hit me about that article..I like old stuff because I like it..I have a little bit of vintage stuff..and alot of antiques in general..they have followed me around like a bad penny my whole life..cars..furniture..bicycles..mini and motor bikes..geez I have so much old stuff that I have aquired for little or no money..coke machines free as well..I think wall street and these dealers ruin everything really...I like alot of dealers (I don't buy from them) so I like them..wall street can kiss my country rearend .. the mess they started a few years back..money money money and they hurt alot of people doing it..I will say I am proud of the vintage guitars and amps I have..they are neat.:lol:

14. Jared Purdy

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.

15. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London
    I do.

But my tastes are changing and I need a Tele.

16. Jared Purdy

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.
    Never played a Tele with a Marshall, but I have played them with Deluxe's, Princeton's, Carr, Valvetrain, Victoria, Mesa, Swart amps and a bun of thers. Hmmm...all Fender inspired!!!

17. geddy402

geddy402 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    Baltimore
    Great looking collection! I see a Strat and Les Paul creeping in the back!

I saw your tele thread too...good luck with the search!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.