Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

We are all in for it now, Wall Street finds Fender

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by garytelecastor, Dec 12, 2013.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Define "cheap Squiers" :)

Both my my Squiers are worth more today than they were new. Then again - they are both early 80's from Japan (A JV and an SQ). Hardly "skyrocketing", but quietly going up in value.

2. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2013
    Alabama
    The crappy guitars of today will eventually be seen in the same light as the crappy guitars of the 60s, and all those cheap squiers will sell for three times their current value!

So...$150 in 2040? Just kidding, but you know what I mean. Mark my words, First Act is where it's at.

I know people here mock 'pointy guitars', but all it'll take is some musician in another ten years or so to pick one up in a pawn shop somewhere, decide he likes it, and play it in some popular song, and they'll have another boom.

3. geddy402

geddy402 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    Baltimore
    All original mint vintage guitars will probably never become affordable to the common player. If you have the kind of money to spend on these you're probably rich enough and smart enough to have diversified your investments and are probably not taking a second mortgage out to just buy a 59 LP. You're either a lottery winner or multi million/billionaire that can drop tons of money on a guitar.

I'm 30 and I love vintage guitars. I can't afford them but I did manage to get a couple basses because those are slightly more in the realm of the affordable. But I feel like I am in the minority.

You can see the same sort of thing happening with ticket prices. How many 20-30 year olds are getting front row tickets to the Stones or Springsteen. Middle aged people have the money to do that and will pay a premium to sit there. Sure there may be a few younger faces but they're not too common.

The point I'm trying to make is that older, wealthy people are dictating the market for everything associated with classic rock (which solidbody electric guitars squarely fit into). When they start to retire and pass away there might not be as much interest in these things. Sure there will always be interest in them and people will still want top dollar for their investment but it may take a long time to find that one buyer who will pay it. And demand will significantly less once my generation has enough disposable income to afford them. Plus with retirement may come more supply given babyboomers wanting to add to their nest egg. I still think there are a lot out there that hasn't surfaced.

That's why I think prices will only go down from here.

My two cents...

4. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Time to plug in and play.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

All mainly true.

Surviving families will contribute as well.

People now know that old things are worth money but they will settle for X amount for their loved one's guitars because they never paid for them or owned them - far easier to offer $10,000 to a family for an instrument that they got for free very recently than someone who bought it, played it, owned it for awhile.

Further driving down prices.

The boomer die-off will affect us all in many ways - that being one of them.

BTW - the really smart guitar money for the last 15 years has been in pre-war acoustics.

Much greater appreciation - some models never dipped in value during the recession while we've seen old LP's and Strats tumble hard.

6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

+1

7. geddy402

geddy402 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    Baltimore
    Agree that certain models will always bring top dollar because they're immune to trends. Like you said pre war acoustics are always a win. I think strats, teles and LP standards will always bring a premium and be priced well above their new equivalents. I don't k ow we'll ever see rock bottom prices in those...except for maybe refinished ones. Supply and demand thing. Dumbles too...they haven't dipped at all through all the economic downturn.

But I think the real deals will be had with less popular guitars which will end up going below their new equivalents...like Jaguars, Jazzmasters, LP specials/juniors, etc. Won't be much demand (unless Rhianna or Lady Gaga pick one up) and there's a ton out there.

I just think the hunt is more fun that kill though when it comes to vintage gear. Still haven't found my attic gem, but maybe one day! By the way the book strat in the attic is full of great stories about finding guitars.

8. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2010
    Seattle
    This. I bought a ton of Facebook when it was cheap and all the "experts" said not to, LOL.

I think the vintage guitar market is like the 60s muscle car market it. It will go up and down with the stock market, but a good portion of the crowd that likes this kind of stuff is dying off and it's not clear that they will be replaced.

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia

10. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    The Vintage Guitar market is a tulip bubble waiting to collapse. Those with inventories will say no. GC is in major trouble right now because they had a strategy of buying up any vintage guitar they could find. They are sitting fat on inventory and when their multi billion dollar payment comes due in 2015, they could fold. This will crater the used guitar market. But will all things, don't rule out a contingent of large money buying up their inventory to keep a lid on the erosion of the market. This could play out over the next 5 years but eventually the last kid who idolizes Jimi Page is going to pass from the earth and the next generation is going to go "Ho Hum" regarding old guitars. Which by the way are not like a handcrafted Stradivarius. A lot of older guitars don't play well or even sound good.

I am a tail end boomer and I much prefer my investment in stocks to old guitars.

11. I only have one old guitar that is barely if at all vintage..its a '73 tele..the others are all custom made stuff..My amps are all old and I have tweed and blackface, 7 of them all fender but one of them..I heard this "the old boys are gonna die off and they will be worth not very much anymore"..I have three muscle cars as well...I am 41 years old and I am really one of the only fellas my age in the area that still likes the old muscle cars enough to shell out the cash for them..I guess in all this stuff i do have alot of money tied up..but i didn't buy them as an investment per se...I bought them and worked on them (or play them) to enjoy the crap out them and thats what i do..when it is time to get rid of them if the market has fallen then the enjoyment i got out of them is worth something too..I think if you buy things like that solely for the investment when they are at a very tall dollar you leave yourself at risk as you do with almost anything...for investment and me it is real estate and stocks..nothing has a gaurantee..thats my worthless opinion..:p

12. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Collectables are very different from stocks... Prices going up, new buyers come to buy because prices are going up, prices go up really fast, people who have no business buying come to buy because prices just keep going up. Mania, like the 17th century tulip bulb mania. Something happens. New buyers stop showing up. Market no longer supports yesterday's prices. Prices drop as those who must sell take what they can get. The end phase of the guitar mania is still happening now.

Stocks have real problems, too. The Fed can't prop up the market forever.

13. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Yep, that is the concern in 2014. If big business doesn't start investing in growth, no jobs. Game over.

14. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I don't assume anything except that sooner or later I am going to be tit's up, and my ex-wife will have a line of guys waiting to share stories about her at her funeral.
    I only brought Wall street in because they are featured predominately in this video about Wall Street and the collection market.
    I used the warning due to the recent debacle that happened in the US in 2008 and how Wall street played such a major role in that situation, which hasn't turned out all that well.
    At the end of the vid the female announcer states that she had known nothing of collecting and investing with instruments, but now that she did she was going to look into them.
    This is for me a huge problem in the vintage market, people who know nothing about the instruments they buy , and see them only with dollar signs in their eyes.

15. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england
    Be nice to pick up a pre CBS Strat cheap.
    I'm in the play and enjoy them camp.Then pass them on to the kids.

16. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Greater liquidity to say the least!

17. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Agreed big problem!!

Fundamental to seeking investments; buy what you truly know about!

18. LACampbell. esq

LACampbell. esq Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    definitely, I sold an 83 Warlock 10 years ago on ebay. The active electronics were sketchy, and my father took it upon himself to refin it (terribly) when I was out of town for a weekend and it still brought in $775. Everything comes up in value as it gets older. Hideous 80's vehicles are proving themselves worthy of collecting now. Hell, unplayable Teisco's are even coming up in value.

19. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    Yep I have only had one Teisco. It was a gift. It was also the reason we started my first band. Only to smash that terrible excuse for a guitar to pieces. It was actually really bad. Completley unplayable. How those comparable guitars can fetch huge money is beyond me.

20. murton09

murton09 TDPRI Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Maybe you haven't heard of Jack White :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.