Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

We are all in for it now, Wall Street finds Fender

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by garytelecastor, Dec 12, 2013.

1. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Yep, when the Wall Street Media gets too bullish on anything that's usually a primary sell signal. Looks like a nice bounce upward in prices is coming and that's always a good exit point.

I wonder if the pointy headstock models will ever become collectable if the Gen X'ers start collecting those, LOL.

4. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

The thing that got me was the woman comparing guitars to art and jewels in the market place. So much for 12 year olds buying their first fender.

5. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

No, it's not. If you looked at the graph they showed the market is well below 2008 levels. It's a great time to buy, that's what I got out of the interview.

6. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    That's actually not a silly statement or possibly far from the truth, I've been thinking that for a while.
    These vintage guitars LP's 50's 60's Fenders etc are what we (I'm 46) saw our heroes play, the ones we admired and respected.

The next generation have different heroes and different tastes, I'm sure they will eventually not care so much about the older guitars

but who knows? It's not easy to predict.

I had a large collection (investment) of vintage Fender amps ranging from 1946 - 1959 , 23 examples to be exact. I have since sold them (kept 3) as I didn't play them enough AND because I felt their value wasn't going to be strong for too many years to come. I wanted to at least recoup my money while I still could ,and as I keep a keen eye on the vintage market , I noticed their values slowly dropping so i got out . I made a great profit as well.

I know guitars are a better investment than amps, but I still feel that when I'm in my later years these may not be of much interest to that generation.

I don't know if my prediction will be right, but it's something to think about

:cool:

7. sonicdom

sonicdom TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2012
    switzerland
    It is always a good time to buy if you truly love vintage guitars for what they are: musical instruments that are being used to make music on. on the other hand, it's never a good time to buy if you buy vintage guitars as an investment.

8. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    "I wonder if the pointy headstock models will ever become collectable if the Gen X'ers start collecting those, LOL."

Speaking for Gen X, yes we want them back! But I don't see them ever amassing serious value, because they're too specific for players, what with the Floyd Rose and the skinny necks. But of course there could be a serious collector market. A market always needs fresh product and fresh rubes. The guitarists won't jump on this band wagon though IMO.

9. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2008
    Antioch, IL
    Hmmm...I wonder when my collection of cheap Squiers will skyrocket in price?

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    The guy who they interviewed is a dealer with a store full of inventory. Of course he says it's a great time to buy. :rolleyes:

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I call B.S. on a major level!!!!!!!

1) Demographic variables: The vintage guitar market has largely been supported baby boomers who are now trying to retire. That means their disposable income will be drying up shortly if it hasn't already by the economic collapse. I've seen more and more vintage instruments coming back into the market than ever before but not to take profit on the sale but to liquidate something for cash to pay bills or other outstanding debt.

second variable; as stated by others there ARE NO NEW BUYERS COMING INTO THE MARKET!!!! So in truth supply has outstripped demand.

I find it ironic that they talk about a 1959 l.P. custom "commanding" a 6 digit figure when last week I was present at a sell for one that barely broke $35,000 after the guitar had been on the market for 3 years. The seller had sold it for a loss but hey the guy with the beard in the story is the retailer holding inventory why would we expect him to tell the truth.

Whenever a historic guitar goes for a large sum of money these "money" shows then talk like these are investment opportunities across the board. THESE SALES ARE OUTLIERS !

The Hendrix Strat, "Blackie" and the Dylan strat sold not because they are old but where historically important to a certain artist and moment in time! One buyer does not a market make!

Hang on kiddies its going to be a bumpy ride and this one is still going down hill!

12. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    This is how you stay ahead of the curve--just look at cars. Early 80's sports cars are starting to become more and more popular/common. Nissan Z's and fairlady's? Early 911's. Still reasonably affordable. I bet not in a few short years.

13. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    What happens in a few years times when all those 'relics' get embedded into the market!

14. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    When the shortage of wood becomes so bad that new guitars are made mostly from plastic. :D

Actually it's frightening how bad the shortage of good wood already is. Not long ago I saw a clear-finished electric guitar that looked good from the front (real wood veneer), but from the back you could see that it was pieced together from maybe 15 or 20 small blocks of wood - essentially, it was built from blockboard! And we've all noticed the guitar catalogs now mention a lot of unusual woods in addition to the traditional spruce, maple, mahogany, rosewood, and ebony.

-Gnobuddy

15. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2008
    Antioch, IL
    I'm going to have to try a buckthorn build...God knows I've got an endless supply of that on my property!

16. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I have a 68 that I bought for approx $300 in Montreal that year but wouldn't really trust eBay or paypal for big ticket items unless my Lawyer gets the cash first and the buyer picks it up in person.

So in about 5 years I'll probably sell it, get a roadworn for the "feel", don't like false relics but will bite the bullet if it pays for part of a car.

17. sonicdom

sonicdom TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2012
    switzerland
    I don't see the problem here. 35k has been the going price for nice lp customs for at least the past 3 years now. i've seen them go below 30k with minor issues. i don't recall them ever being above 80k in the crazy days around 2007/8. '57 Goldtops made it into the 6 figures for a very short while, customs were never that desirable in the first place.

18. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

However, the 1% have accumulated extreme wealth that can drive the top end of the market. And the 1% are not always a 65 year old curmudgeon. They are often middle aged men, all over the world, with desires to acquire " at any cost" when the fancy suits them. 50,000 sqft man caves filled with 100 cars, 10,000 sq ft "cottages on the lake", yachts in excess of 200ft, homes on multiple continents etc... Like rare art, many of these transactions do not hit the airwaves, but rather, are completed amongst dealers and intermediaries hired for the sole purpose of amassing a collection. I have spoken to Ed numerous times and his biggest challenge is not selling an all original specimen, it's finding them. And if only 500-100 were made, most have been found.

DW

19. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    35k IS 7 figures ,

It's all how you look at it $35,000.00
    It's not lying , it's distorting the truth :)

20. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm a wanderer...
    You assume the Wall Street guys know what good investments are?

I dabble a bit - the (expensive) first lesson you learn is not listening to guys like these for advice on investments...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.