Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Way Huge Swollen Pickle Mk. II Owner's Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by doctor_capleson, Feb 13, 2014.

1. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I used the search function, and couldn't find a group for this this pedal.

I only recently got mine, and after some tweaking, it's everything I wanted it to be. It's not just another Muff clone; the internal pots allow one to tweak a classic sound to an extent far beyond that of the original Muff and it's various offspring.

It is possible to get the range of tone from the Classic EHX BM Pi from this bad boy, and then some.
    My settings are: Loudness to taste, filter to 10:00, sustain maxed; and internal pots to: cliping maxed, and scoop at 12:00.

This gives a sound similar to the Black Key's fuzz sounds on Rubber Factory; a compressed, yet gritty fuzz that oscillates somewhat and takes chords well.

What are your settings? Thoughts? Recommendations?

2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    hah- I'm subscribing to this thread, because I've never got one useful sound from this pedal.

I got one as a gift 3 years ago. I tried it for a good while when I got it. It totally disappeared with the band, and never gave me the fuzziness i wanted.

The closest I ever got to anything decent was a with a strat and the volume rolled way back - but it isn't very fuzzy then. just sounds like a mediocre OD.

No offense intended by my opinion on the SP - I'll be trying your settings, the Rubber Factory sound is kind of where i want to go. What Amp/settings - generically is fine - like MArshall clean, or Orange Cranked? Guitar/pickups - Singles or HBs?
    Thanks!

3. Cuauhtemoc

Cuauhtemoc Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2012
    SC/NJ (college)
    I picked one up in a trade a few months ago and haven't really had a chance to mess with it. Haha, Rubber Factory is what I'm looking for too. I'll have to try those settings out this weekend!

4. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    I have one that I also traded for a while ago. I think it does miff sounds pretty good. Haven't really tweaked mine. I look forward to seeing if others post there settings.

5. doctor_capleson

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I play it through a vox on the edge of breakup. The factrory settings on the internal pots do t really do the pedal justice. Also, slight adjustments at certain points on the knobs make huge differences. The pedal looms simple, but it's really not a "plug n play". I spent hours before I got a sound I liked out of it.

6. doctor_capleson

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Here are my settings. Usually the sustain is maxed, but if the amp breaks up too much I back it off and it still sounds good. The internal switches are: mid scoop at noon, compression knob all the way to the right ( so no compression at all I think?)

This gives it a really fat, raspy, speaker tearing sound, like black keys on thickfreakness or rubber factory (think 10 AM Automatic, or Till I Get my Way)

Attached Files:

7. Cuauhtemoc

Cuauhtemoc Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2012
    SC/NJ (college)
    Haha, does Swollen Pickle owners club = Black Keys fan club? 'Cause it's starting to look that way! :D

8. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    This one finally hit my board. Had it for a while—a gift from the Mrs.—and also have spent some time dialing it in. Using it now on one song...

Pickle -> EQD The Depths -> EHX Soul Food

Getting almost auto-wah/talk-box vocal qualities from this combination. Great for the prog/Floyd-type solo going on. Kinda sounds like Wright's Moog stuff on Run Like Hell.

9. Cooper Black

Feb 13, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Doh! No idea what happened below, but my upload went several times (issues is mine not TDPRI)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  10. Cooper Black

Feb 13, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Doh!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  11. Cooper Black

Feb 13, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Pic attached.

Attached Files:

12. Cooper Black

Feb 13, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Pic attached.

Attached Files:

13. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Manchester, England
    I have one. It still shocks me people buy eh muffs and / or massively overpriced booteek muffs. This is a killer muff massively versatile with relay bypass top mount jacks for a bargain price.

14. doctor_capleson

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I find the pedal sounds different every time I step on it. Like the controls move around inside even if the knobs don't move. Anybody else feel like that goes on?

15. DocJay

DocJay Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2012
    Tokyo
    I could not bond with this pedal, and I really wanted to. I was after some Black Keys sounds, and just could not find them. I ended up selling it, and picked up an EQD Hoof and Dirt Transmitter. It's a shame because I really wanted the SP to work. I hope you guys have better luck.

16. doctor_capleson

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I've been using this thing a lot more in that last week, and I've got a few observations:

1. battery vs. power supply make a pretty substantial difference in sound. I only use power supply, but when it's occasionally play by itself with a battery, the settings need to be changed. This is not a big deal to me though.

2. The sound of the pedal seemed to change every time I stepped on it. Lately, after hours of consecutive play the last few days, this effect seems to have halted. Maybe the components have to be broken in or something, I'm not sure.

3. The factory settings for the internal pots are not the best. It took a little while, but ultimately I settled on the internal pots both being set at the opposite of their factory settings. I can't really tell much of a difference in the values of the pots. Both sound one way at each extreme, but don't really seem to transition much in the middle 90%.

4. This pedal loves single coils; I've had "meh" results with humbuckers. This is probably due to my setup and amps more than anything else, but I'll put it out there.

5. The filter knob is pretty great. The setting that sounded best with a band sounds like ****e at home. This box cuts though the mix well, even if the volume is more subdued.

17. doctor_capleson

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Nobody Else? I toy with this thing and change my mind on my settings for it weekly. Now I've got the internal control for clipping set to noon, so it uses both germanium and LED diodes. The mid scoop control is both a great feature and my biggest issue, depending on how I feel.

Has anyone found a website that offers instructions or a manual of some kind for this pedal other than the worthless POS that cones in the box? I still have trouble figuring out exactly what the scoop external and internal controls actually do.

18. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Mar 31, 2009
    Toronto
    I bought one two weeks ago, and I've gone from "meh" to "HOLY ****!" with this pedal. The secret was messing with the internal controls: I put the Clip control at 10 o'clock while the Voice stayed where it was. I have the Sustain at around 3 o'clock, the Loudness at 8:30 (this is one powerful pedal!) and both the Scoop and Crunch around 1 o'clock. It sounds monstrous with my Strat, and even more monstrous when I kick on my Green Rhino, which is right after it in the chain. The SP is one vicious pedal!

Anyone who owns this pedal needs to check out this vid. Jeorge Tripps really lays out how the pedal works very nicely; I found it invaluable.

19. doctor_capleson

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I recently found that video too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.