Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Waxed cloth wire?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by matt117, Dec 6, 2018.

1. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2014
    Manitoba
    Where do you source your 22ga stranded, pre tinned, wax cloth covered wire ?
    Hoping to do up some electronics where the wire holds shape and cloth does not fray.

2. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    I prefer Gavitt 22 AWG wire which is the stranded, tinned wire. The tinning process turns the strands into a single conductor. It's usually available in various lengths through Ebay suppliers.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like the stuff StewMac offers. If you get all three colors in bulk, you can get it for 38 cents a foot (50ft spools). Philadelphia Luthier supply has similar wire but sells at 46 cents/ft. Lacquer the cut edges if you're really concerned about fraying, but only after pushing back (as in some clear nail polish).

4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Mostly from stuff I bought when an old hardware store near my dad's closed.

If you're buying modern third world country wire there's really no big deal about it being cloth covered or not. It's just aesthetic. Look for old USA made wire that hasn't been used.

5. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    AES has the nice pushback wire. Get down with a couple of insulation tricks and it makes stupid neat wiring.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I found a resource from old broken apliances over the years and I used some in my recent guitar rebuild, , for the fraying aspect I placed a tiny bits of shrink tube over the stripped end of the wire and it prevented the cloth from unraveling

Cheap and easy fix

P1012121.JPG

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cloth covered wire does away with the 'remove insulation' step, and also tends to stay where you bend it. I'd rather get the modern cloth stuff since old wire is harder to come by. The pre-tinned cloth covered wire is the best, which eliminates another step.

8. jball85

jball85 TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    I source mine from www.theartoftone.com, great prices and fast shipping. Not affiliated with them btw.

bender66, BorderRadio and 24 track like this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    thanks for that tip great site to know about , I'm going to add that to the DIY thread as aresource if you dont mind!

10. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice, 30 cents/ft--best deal I've seen so far, even after shipping is included. Too bad there aren't any other colors available.

11. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Stew Mac stuff is terrible. At least it used to be.. frayed like a paint brush. AES/CE stuff is terrible too.
    The only place I've got waxed cloth wire that is like the original is Marsh Amps. But I haven't needed any for a while. They are great and not over priced. Will sell by the foot. Last time they just threw in extra wire.
    http://store.marshamps.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=487

noah330 likes this.
  12. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    If it frays, you're doing it wrong.

13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Hoffman is a great source for solid core waxed cloth wire, for amps. I've got my stranded stuff from StewMac (no issue with it), probably ArtofTone, as I sometimes use them for copper shielding; AES? possibly; Probably Angela, and probably GuitarPartsFactory, since I use them for guitar hardware. The only 'bad' stuff I got was the solid core from Weber in my Revibe kit. The 18 awg heater wire was fine, but the 20 awg hookup wire was not normal, and it frayed if you looked at it funny.

I strip my cloth wire - and I'm pretty sure Fender employees did, too. I see none of the 'thickening' noticeable in pushed-back wire, in my old amps. It's not at all difficult to strip, I use StewMac's fine gauge wire strippers. Super sharp, makes all the difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.