Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

WattsTubeAudio eyelet boards? Could my amp idea work?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GorgeousTones, May 16, 2018.

1. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Boston
    -Hey all! I’ve had a current production pcb ac4tv chassis sitting on my work bench for at least a year collecting dust. The 10” combo was given to me by a buddy who was moving out west and took only the essentials with him.
    long story short, I modded the heck out of the circuit.. I it did mainly for fun/curiosity and learning, and then left it for a rainy day.

-Recently I came across this Watts website and they offer a number of neat things for the Valve juniors like replacement transformers, circuit kits ect.. But what I found interesting, were these replacement turret board configurations they offer. Basically all the classic Brit/American amp flavors and a couple “hot rodded” versions. All Spec’d out to fit the valve junior chassis & transformers. And also offer free schematics and layouts for each of their mini Marshall, Vox, whatever boards

**SO.. I thought maybe I could use one of these with the Ac4tv transformers? I’ve been itching to build a small amp kit lately and I’m wondering what if instead I try going this route, especially since I’m not very fond of tweed champs..? The epi Vj and Vox are fairly close in size and design configuration. Thoughts???

2. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    There is not a lot of room in the AC4TV especially since it uses the "backpanel" as the chassis with the pcb and transformers in the same plane. When I converted my AC4C1 to a handwired circuit, I added a perpendicular chassis section to get me the space I needed and to be able to mount the tubes in a more traditional orientation.

If I had an AC4C1-12, I would be tempted to add a new chassis of the traditional vox style (if it would fit in the cab with the speaker) to clean things up a bit.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac4tv_hood.html

3. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    Well, if the sockets on the replacement board doesn’t line up with the AC4 holes in the chassis, there’s going to be a fair bit of work to integrate, but the transformers should be fine.

4. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    As I implied, there are no holes in the chassis for the sockets on the AC4TV! The chassis is L shaped with top panel components on the short side and xformers and pcb mounted to the long side (back). The tubes lay on their sides with retainers holding them in the sockets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.