Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Waterslide Font Help

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by picknboogie, Sep 25, 2010.

1. hellopain

hellopain Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2008
    The Philippines
    here's the decal on my partscaster thinline:

[​IMG]

i think i might have made it too small though :(

2. ajitaw

ajitaw TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Hangtown
    Just a FYI and not to take away from JB's awesome work with the pens but if your a little scared like I was to make them yourself then check out these guys: http://www.bedlamcreations.com/waterslidedecals/rfq/index.htm
    For a little over a dollar a decal, super pro job, looks just like the real thing with a really great Gold. I just got mine in and I'm STOKED! :D

Attached Files:

3. Cosmitron

Cosmitron TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2009
    France
    `This makes me want to have 24 times the same guitar! :p Thanks for sharing this. :)

4. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 23, 2008
    Cold Spring, NY
    Bedlam does do a good job from what I've seen.

If you order from me I guess you're mostly getting the logo design with the bonus of a set of decals. I think the logo is the harder part of the challenge for many people.

I've thought about doing the alps-printer thing, maybe someday, but I kind of like having such control over the metallic colors.

Ajitaw, can you take a close up photo of the decals you got? I'm curious to see the print quality up close since I'm considering an alps.

Thanks.

J

5. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 23, 2008
    Cold Spring, NY
    Here is a recent set that I made with a new gold from Tamiya paints called "inca-gold" which I recommend to anyone who is trying the "flip-n-paint" method I've been using.

[​IMG]

6. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    I just wanted to add that I recently did the method flipping the image digitally, printing only the outlines, filling in the top, clearing and applying the waterslide transfer upside down. Used a bit of weldbond mixed in the water, works slick. Thank you for this thread...

printed page - various versions ready for multiple method attempts and some other ideas...

[​IMG]

some meticulous filling in action:

[​IMG]

Direction headed...

[​IMG]

Thanks again.

7. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 23, 2008
    Cold Spring, NY
    Right on! Nicely done.

It's kind of a fun process too isn't it? Very satisfying. What marker/paint did you use to fill in your decals? I'm still experimenting with different brands.

8. udimet720

udimet720 Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Here's the decal on my green/blue paisley. I did a matching headstock w/ decal. This was the first waterslide I had done. Worked really well. I actually laid down 2 decals. One with the silver on top. One to cover over. I never thought of flipping it to color before applying. Next time!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

9. Cosmitron

Cosmitron TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2009
    France
    All these look pretty cool!
    Can't wait to have mine ;)

10. hellopain

hellopain Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2008
    The Philippines

wow beautiful! very professionally done..

11. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    I found a four pack 2 silver, two gold at the local dollar store - $1. fine tip. paint/ink flows nicely, but needs lots of clear or it smears all over the place.

I lost the packaging, I'll check them out tomorrow on the shelf

12. ajitaw

ajitaw TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Hangtown
    Yeah, very happy with the printing, I applied one on my headstock today and couldn't be more happy with them. I'll take a close up tomorrow.

13. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 23, 2008
    Cold Spring, NY
    Yes, I tried that too. Judging by your photos the method works well.
    Great job.

14. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    I promised I'd post what kind of pens I'm using, and I kinda feel like a silly, 'cause here you guys are sourcing fancy expensive pens - Mine are dirt cheap, and lay down fine as long as you keep a wet edge, do next to the outlines for an area first then fill, and continue and don't try to go over top to fill an area while it's still drying. While they may not be the perfect colour, or have a ton of sparkle, they are metallic, and gold, and that's good enough for me.

Here's what I'm using... This time I was working with the gold for a bridgecraft strat gold spray bomb refin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As noted above, I print the outline only in reverse, paint 'em, clear 'em, then lay it down on the label face (upside down from normal), with a touch of weldbond in the water. The only other thing is, if they are not cleared with a GOOD coat or two of clear, that ink or paint or whatever it is, will run and smear while you are positioning them.

15. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 23, 2008
    Cold Spring, NY
    Thanks for the pictures. My tip. Look for testors (or pentel or whatever) ENAMEL paint markers. They are great metallics but they don't run once they dry. they are very durable. They don't react with nitro or poly. Plus the enamel paint has really sparkly metallic ink in them and some are like a foil metallic, which you might like too.

The gel pens are nice since you get some more colors to pick from.

16. Cosmitron

Cosmitron TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2009
    France
    Just received my set of decals from JBennett! They all look so great! Thanks for all that !
    Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

17. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 23, 2008
    Cold Spring, NY
    Hey. That does look good! Nice job. It was fun to collaborate on the design for a change.

Are those homemade hangtags that I see in the background? Please take another photo that shows those off!
    J

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

18. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    Argentina
    I recently made my logo and I'd like to get your oppinion on it.

[​IMG]

I wasn't aiming at the fender script.. just a delicate signature.

what do u guys think?

19. Cosmitron

Cosmitron TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2009
    France
    IMHO, although it's not easily readable, it looks pretty fine graphically speaking.

20. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    I think it's beautiful. If it says "Molina," then it's reasonably readable. If not, not. :)

-Scott

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.