Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wasting time on a fun little project

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Telenator, May 28, 2010.

1. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    I just spend the last few hours setting up my Martin Backpacker. Anyone who has ever played one of these sticks knows what a dismal playing and tuning instrument this can be.

After 10 years ownership, I finally shaved a good 1/8" off the saddle, re-did the nut slots, dressed the frets and, while I was at, I put in an entire set of pearl dots in the fret board.

The Backpacker only has 3 dots. 1 on the 5th fret and 2 on the 12th fret. Now it has a full compliment of dots.

Well, while I was at it, I noticed I had 3 dots left over so, I set them into the bridge.

Then I was consumed by the insane idea of putting a "leg rest" on the thing with a Florentine cut-a-way! This guitar sits much better on my leg and is so much easier to play now! Martin should get all over this one!

Am I the first to have modded my Backpacker? Is an epidemic not far behind?! :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010

2. MrDJoers

MrDJoers Tele-Holic

Jan 5, 2010
    Milwaukee
    Is is later enough for pics?

3. Telenator

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    Images up! I can't believe I did this much work on a Backpacker!

4. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Idle hands and all that.:D
    Well done Bob!

5. Telenator

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    Thanks man. I have really been suffering with this thing for years and now it plays really sweet, well, for a Backpacker anyway. Besides, I just spent the last 9 days with the wife, 24/7 and I needed to get back to my work! I love a good project!

6. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

It's the new rage.

We should paint them silly colors and sell them to hipsters.

7. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

It looks nice,I have never felt my backpacker was dismal, but still good job.

8. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice. Is that leg rest thing made out of mahogany?

9. Telenator

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    Of course! I just brushed a thin coat of sanding sealer on it. This thing played pretty horrible until I did major set-up work on it. Now it's quite enjoyable!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.