Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Was the 5E3 a Western Elec/Bell Labs design?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BassMasterMkII, Aug 20, 2009.

1. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    *bump*

If anyone's interested, I cloned that tube chart when I built my 5E7.

[​IMG]

Forgot to "justify" the text at the bottom though. Whoops...

- Scott

2. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    This side of the pond it was Mullard that patented and published valve circuit designs. The idea being to get manufacturers to use their valves.

You won't find patent disclaimers because our patent law is different (so is copyright), especially for public dedicated i.e. it's free but it stops the greedy from grabbing it.

Mullard bought Philips in 1923 and Philips bought Mullard in 1927, go figure. There is some tenuous form of company connection to Valvo, Siemens, Amperex and Sovtek.

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Altec speaker w/ "Feb 51" and "WE 37" (Western Electric) inspector's stamp.

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2008
    DC
    That speaker is the famous Western Electric/Altec 755A, one of the "700 series" speakers I alluded to.

By 1951, there were no more Western Electric labeled 755As (decal on magnet) but these Altecs were made out of WE parts stock.

Western Electric labeled 755a usually have five or six WE inspectors stamps which tell you what they were tested for.

The Bell System used these speakers (Altec labeled) into the mid 50s for a variety of Central Office monitoring tasks and put them in wood wall cabinets. Apparently WE approved them before they went into Bell System apps.

Here is a link to pics of WE and Altec labeled 755As on my hi-fi business site:

http://silbatoneacoustics.com/speakercollection.html

These are really, really excellent speakers. The frequency response was carefully tailored for intelligibility according to hearing tests done on tens of thousands of individuals at the New York World's fair.

I used these in my stereo system for years. Just bought a second one to make a pair again on ebay yesterday, in fact! They belong in 2 cu.ft. slant front wall cabs. Glorious sound!

The most famous consumer application was as the HF driver in the AR-1 loudspeaker, a revolutionary product based on the sealed box "infinite baffle" loading for the woofer.

6. itsa68

itsa68 Tele-Meister

May 17, 2011
    Chicago
    I've been reading through old RCA tube manuals as I build a 300b stereo hifi amp, and remembered this topic. LOVING the thread

7. xafinity

xafinity Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2015
    USA
    come on kid, let's build an amp!
    upload_2017-3-20_19-10-16.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.