Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Was Leo's finishing process ever documented?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Tuxedo, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Tuxedo

Tuxedo Tele-Holic

Aug 7, 2008
    Texas
    Was Leo's finishing process (wet-sand, polish, buff, etc.) ever documented?

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    I think the closest thing there is to that is in Erlewine's finishing book (from StewMac). They interviewed a couple of people who worked for Fender in the early days (including George Fullerton), and they provided a lot of detail, but some of it is missing.

They also describe what they think the process must have been after examing many bodies from the different eras of Fender production, but Fullerton corrects them on a few points.

Too much detail to type here. It's worth checking out, though.

3. Tuxedo

Tuxedo Tele-Holic

Aug 7, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into that.

4. martino

martino Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2007
    LA CA US
    I thought Leo only used lacquer for cleaning
    parts so he could install them on what ever
    prototype guitar he was building!
    Finishing was always done by others
    yes / no ???

[​IMG]

5. Brock Lee

Brock Lee TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The process and materials evolved over time. Things were different every few years. The biggest changes happened to speed up production by using a system that allowed guitars to be done quicker. This is why the old homoclad sealers were dropped in favor for Fullerplast. The Fullerplast was a polyester type finish that could be sprayed and ready for top coats in no time. They could also totally level the surface before using color allowing for less work between steps in finishing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.