Was anyone here present for Albert King's Live Wire Blues Power album?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, May 17, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Fillmore West, June 1968? Produced by Al Jackson, Jr... drummer for Booker T & The MGs.

It was before I was born, but I know that some of you guys were present for that whole scene, or at least spells of it.

That's just about my favorite live electric blues album of all time. The audience interaction is just so present in the mix. I'm just wondering if any of you were there, and what you might remember from it.

Long shot, I know...

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw him around that time, more likely '69 or '70. He still had the original Flying V. But I wasn't at the shows you mentioned.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

I saw Albert twice at the Fillmore between '68 and '70. I wasn't aware if an album was being recorded. And today, don't remember if the announcer or Albert said anything about it.
    I do remember that he wasn't a headliner, more of an opening act.
    But he killed it with his singing and playing. And he had a great band.
    He was playing the V. Not sure which amps he used, might have been big Fender Showman's. Or even a Marshall. There were always lots of amps on the stage since there would typically be 3 or more bands per night. I think those shows were before he was using the Acoustic brand of amps.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I saw him at Winterland in February of 1968 with Jimi Hendrix, John Mayall, and The Soft Machine. He is still to this day my favorite blues artist. I was not at the Fillmore the night the album was recorded, but he did some of the tunes on the album. I consider myself very fortunate to have been around at that time when a lot of great acts were performing. Bill Graham put on great shows and introduced my generation to many artists we would have otherwise never gotten to see live.

Like the catch phrase says, I may be old, but I saw all the great bands !!!

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 12:44 AM
  5. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Saw him at he Ashgrove in Hollywood around 1971. Sat right in front of him, awesome show. I was 16.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

In answer to the question - no...
    But I did see him play when Albert toured the UK. We were privileged to see many of the American blues giants in concert, and Albert's was among the best of those

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you want to know what another King thought his own best live album was , it’s this :

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/b_b-king/blues-is-king/

Not Live at The Regal, or the Apollo, or Cook County Jail - as good as those are.

BB at a small club with a small band recorded in 1966.

For Albert, I like The Big Blues from ‘61.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.