WARNING-Build like you have never seen before-May be offensive to some

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by martyb1, Apr 14, 2008.

1. CSS

CSS Tele-Holic

My Wife just rushed me a paper bag to breath into. Ahhh, much better but the image is still there.

2. shoretyus

shoretyus Tele-Holic

You were wrong once. Then you found out that you were wrong

3. Mack

Mack TDPRI Member

Sheesh...

Work faster!!!

I so want to see this thing in its final state!!!

Brilliant... I want one.

Mak.

4. reddogbass

reddogbass Tele-Holic

OSB grows. I've seen a lot of OSB which started life at 7/16" end up an extra 1/8 or more in thickness. Unfortunately, after the expansion it never returns to it's original thickness.

5. Stevil

Stevil Tele-Meister

I'm hoping this hasn't been scrapped. I think the carved top look would be cool...regardless of how it came about

6. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

This thread inspired me to sign up for the TDPRI.

This build shows you it's not what you build with, but building with what you have that separates the men from the boys. Anyone can make a USACG body look decent....but a piece of OBS? WOW!

7. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

I had full intentions of taking the belt sander after it and leveling it out but decided against it.I will finish it,put a neck on it and see how it plays.If it turns out to play ok I will leave it,if not it will get the sander.
    Kinda ruins my plans for it.I had contacted Paul and was going to donate to TDPRI because of all the interest and kind words.I'm not sure I would feel right donating it now,being the way it is :(

8. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

You can feel right and donate it to me :D

9. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9 Tele-Holic

I don't care what anyone says...that is one of the coolest tele bodies I have seen! I wish I had one if for nothing else than looks. I think someone said it already but its like the tele version of the EVH strat.
    ~Nick

10. JamesVRoy

JamesVRoy Tele-Holic

I think its pretty damn cool!

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Marty, I know you are disappointed, at least I get that strong impression. But if I may just say the following.

The effort and the 'Music' of your thread/build pinnacles the best portion of the true spirit of this forum from my seat. You are applauded and I am unanimous in that. ;) As are a whole lot of others I'd bet!

Please do not leave the wake of inspiration in limbo. That wood is only the smallest part of the phenomena that is you Bro!!!

If not for the Bucks, Arlos, You, Rons, etc, a lot of folks would never get the chance to feel&taste the excitement of the creation. Major Cudos!!

But I am curious, did you try the wood manipulating suggestions I made? I mean regarding the route sealing and sun or damp concrete etc ??

Ciao, Robt

12. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the kind words guys.Just another reason this is such a great place.Rob,I did try a few things but it seems to have found it's place.Like I said,it's not real bad,just disappointing after all the work I put into it.I am sure it will be playable.
    If you guys want,I will still donate it to Paul and he can set something up.I just don't want anyone to be disappointed when they receive it. I would not feel right not giving you guys the chance to make the decision because along with this body comes the tone block and neck plate that Vince(Taipan) donated and a Tex-Tone bridge pickup that Dave (dallmon) has donated.I sure I have a Fender bridge here I can include.What you think?

13. w0odman

w0odman Tele-Meister

I think it would be an awesome opportunity for a donation/giveaway thing. I know I wouldn't mind giving some money to the board for a chance to win it.

14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I made 3 bodies about 90 days ago. I let them sit [excuse for procrastinating] for a good while after so I an see what mother nature has in mind.

As far as what I think, I think it is all good! ;)

15. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Holic

i can understand why you will be dissapointed but if it still plays fine the warpage just adds character imo

16. SatelliteOrders

SatelliteOrders Friend of Leo's

I thought of the perfect pickguard material for this.

I was working with the metronome, trying to match a blogger's speed on a certain lick. I had my metronome up to 250, while she said she topped out at 178. And yet it didn't seem fast. Then I reread it. She was doing 16th notes while the metronome was doing 8th notes. So really, I was doing 125.

That's when it hit me. The perfect pickguard for this.
    [​IMG]

17. JasonRobert

JasonRobert Tele-Holic

Maybe the solution for this if someone makes another is a thinner top of OSB, like a veneer top and some binding... with the OSB and the main wood sealed before it is glued on.

18. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

How about immersing the body in a container filled with poly for a couple days to let it really soak in?:D

19. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Pergo! It's easier to install and it's darn near fireproof.

20. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Funny this thread popped back up.While I had the planer running the other day,I took the belt sander,knocked off the high spots and we are now level :lol:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is now sealed once again
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.