Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Warm PAF-like single coil neck pick up for tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by OwenHu99, Mar 26, 2017.

1. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Shanghai, China
    I have a MIM tele (maple neck, alder body) with stock pickups, I mostly use the neck pick up. I am looking for a very warm PAF like pick up that is good for cleans and preferably also dirt. I'd also like to have an almost compressor-like attack, like when you pick really hard with your thumb. Oh, and I'm running into a blues junior that is very bright. Thank you in advance!

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe

3. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Shanghai, China
    any specific model? thanks!

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    +1 a low wind P90... mine are more piano like and clearer than PAFs

Of all the pickup designs, I think brands makes least difference to the core tone.

I have a cheap Wilkinson P90 in one and original 60's in another. All sound nice.

I had thought I might have swapped the Wilkinson for a 'boutique' PU before I got the guitar with it in but I was very happy with it.

5. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    I don't know if this will help, but in the neck of one of my Strats I have a Lace Sensor Blue, and it does exactly what you ask and is designed to replicate the warm PAF tone. I use that pickup all the time as it sounds so good.
    You'd need a modified scratch plate of course.
    http://www.lacemusic.com/Sensor_Blue.php

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Tone rider P90 s work well .I swapped out the stock P90's from a PRS SE semi hollow and the Tone rider were a vast improvement .I used the a2 low out put versions but a hotter one in the bridge would also work well .You can buy a pickguard from GFS i think but you better check you have a humbucker route first .
    Having re read this is not actually much help to you but it may be to others.

7. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    Another vote for a P90.
    Tone riders are great but for that compressed-like sound I think that AlNiCo II magnets are not the best choice. I tried different kinds of magnets in a P90 and A2 are a bit loose sounding in the low end. I have an underwound P90 with A5 mags in the neck position of my tele, which has a way more defined low end.
    They are wound to 6,5kOhms, a good match with my Texas special tele bridge pickup.

8. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Shanghai, China
    I couldnt find many clips with lace sensor blue in the neck of a tele, so im still not very sure. What im looking for is quite specific, i fear that I poorly described, so just to make sure, heres a youtube clip of the tone im looking for (at 0:40) :) do you think it can be achieved somewhat with the lace sensor? Thank you.

9. Guitarteach

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    ^^ sounds like the guitar tone or amp treble is turned down.

Sounds like a standard neck tone though you could get from many pickups.

What amp are you using?

MilwMark likes this.

10. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Try a 4 way switch.

11. Guitarteach

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    ^^^ +1 on that too. Series wiring the two pickups does sound thick and warm and very close to the tone in the video.

12. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    The Lace Blue does sound very much like that (with .11s I would add) but as the others have said, try a 4 way for the pickups in series and take down the tone a bit to warm things up.

13. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    PAF.... Fralin Pure PAF. Low Wind A2 x .015 cap, and make sure Pots are in spec.

ThroBak '55/'56-SB Vintage P90... Yes, they will sell just 1 pup.

Tom Holmes H450... But theres an 8 month wait. My favorite.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    That is a very standard tone that any Tele neck pickup can get. Turn your amp up. Maybe roll back the volume a bit on the guitar. Possibly the tone. It is technique and working the guitar and amp controls, not a specific pickup to chase.

SPUDCASTER likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.