Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

WANTED-Improved Chops

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by cosmiccowboy, Oct 9, 2018.

1. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

Hey Fellas, so this is my first post in the T,T,T,&T forum. Usually in "Bad Dog", "Guitar Owners Clubs", "Amp Central Station", etc ... however, I've recently wanted to improve my chops. I mean really do some serious woodshedding and back away from playing the same old standards and chordings, jams and open mics ... and stretch out. This being said, I've looked at "internet instructors" and DVD "specials" and all of that crap. I've sought out local guys but its always; "what songs you wanna learn?" but I'm looking for something more than all of this something that will accelerate my playing and help me over the hump. theory, chordings, etc ... I do blues, rock, old school country and recently have taken an interest in "prog" stuff. Can anyone recommend an online instructor that won't break the bank that could get me to the next level?

Thanks!

2. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    look up guitarmastery on youtube. i like it.

3. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
  4. JMac52

JMac52 TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Mesa, AZ
    Check out truefire.com.

BlackieBlues likes this.
  5. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The 3 that I watch and think are good are: Justin Guitar, Marty Music, and the Stitch Guitar method. You can find them all on YouTube.

Tonetele likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Check out LickLibrary and pick someone that's out there, Richie Kotzen has some cool licks and a mixed style of Fusion, jazz blues, shred but can still maintain a bluesy feel. There's a bunch of master classes to choose from in most styles.

7. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2012
    Here & Now
    This guy is really good IMB for groove centred chops, licks and fills in the Soul & RnB vein...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2018
    AZ
    I recommend everyone watch Troy Grady's Cracking the Code Series
    about Picking. If you wanna get to the next level you got to check that.
    It's not bull and it's free so what you got to lose?

https://www.youtube.com/user/troygrady/videos

Richie Kotzen - Rock Chops
    Richie Kotzen - Hi Tech Rock Guitar (Complete)
    GREG HOWE hot rock LICKS
    Marty Friedman - Melodic Control

While I do try and learn songs or parts of songs I spend more time on
    technique videos like I posted.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Grinding away with a metronome every day to build up your picking speed would be a good idea before jumping into whatever lessons you decide on. That way would will waste less time trying to adapt to the new style. You can slow things down easily but it's a timewaster trying to keep up when you aren't there with your speed yet.

thegreatshocka and bgmacaw like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Just some things to consider...

What are you devoting your practice time to now? How much time do you practice daily? Have you tried new stuff on your own, even if you don't do it well at first? Do you feel you need direction and/or motivation? Have you set any goals for yourself? Do you record your practice time?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Focus. What do you want to be able to do that you can't do now?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    This. I feel like with a lot of music, it's being able to do basic stuff fast and locked in with the tempo.

Metronome work is like eating your vegetables, it's good for you :)

ndcaster and Chunkocaster like this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I like Justin Guitar. He would have made a vert good teacher. Sometimes his strumming is a little out- so go back to the recording of the song you seek but his knowledge and theory are spot on.
    He has an English accent, comes from our Island state Tasmania, and plays Maton guitars from Melbourne the state above his island. Now resides in England. His teaching is really put simply.

14. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I like this guy from Virginia. Does a lot of stones stuff

15. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Wayne, Pa
    TrueFire is excellent. Buy all access for one month to check it out. Then you can get good deals on an annual pass around Black Friday.

Lately, I have spent a lot of time on Jim Campilongo and Andy Timmons. Both are fantastic instructors. When I put in the time with either, I’m getting a lot better. Good luck!

16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    One intersting way that won t break the bank is to take a song you like that s in your playing zone, but a little bit difficult. Then slow it down so that you re able to find all the notes being played. And possibly write them down as you transcribe.

The cool trick is that when you ll have all the notes perfectly written down and transcribed, you ll be able to play the lick and you didn t have to bother with imperfect tabbing done by others.

17. BlackieBlues

BlackieBlues TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2018
    Boston, MA
    TRUEFIRE is excellent. Loads and loads of material and adding more daily. You can get lessons of very specific stuff too. Sign up for the “full access”

18. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    There are plenty of lessons for free on YouTube. Anything Greg Koch does is great. I always find plenty there. I play shred stuff but also love country and blues. I find something new every day.

19. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    It's hard to respond to a post like this as the answer will depend on where you are and where (specifically) you want to go. For example, do you want to be able to shred and play really fast licks like Eddie Van Halen? Or do want to be able to solo comfortably over a moderate-tempo backing track and not do the the same two or three progressions over and over?

I've realized after 40 years of playing that I can marginally increase my speed and dexterity if I practice diligently, and then it becomes like any physical exercise (e.g. jogging, biking, lifting weights) - you must practice regularly (at least 1 hour per day) to keep yourself fluid and in-sync. For this, scales, arpeggios, and a range of licks and phrases are the way to go, and you can find lots of resources both free and for purchase online (e.g. Truefire lessons).

However, for improving your soloing skills, I think the best approach is to learn songs or at least generic 12 bar chord progressions and practice over backing tracks. You can learn some new licks and ways to play over the neck in any key using "CAGED" and similar concepts. This is different than simply playing fast licks as you are learning to improvise and, at moderate tempos, you have the space to think about the music and add elements that interest you (for me, I want to add to jazz riffs and apreggios to my solos so as to not be using just boring scale licks all the time). This is the approach I'm favoring these days, and it helps to have an iPad or phone connection to my PA or amp so I can dial in some backing tracks to practice over. Whichever way you go, try to be consistent in your practicing, just like you would if you were training for a physical activity like a half marathon. Your goal could be to play out at an open mic with several new songs under your belt. Good luck!

cosmiccowboy likes this.
  20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    if you want chops, check out the gypsy jazz guys

broadly applicable, and their chops are overwhelming

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.