Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Want to make a hardtail strat. What are my options?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by UglyCasanova, Jun 23, 2013.

1. UglyCasanova

UglyCasanova TDPRI Member

Topic title says it all really. I haven't got the tools to actually cut and route a body myself, but I wouldn't mind having to do the paintjob. I'm just looking for a body. Preferably cheap so I can afford a neck and some hardware, but if the right one comes along I'm willing to pay more. Alder is fine.

Thank you!

2. guitar1amp2000

guitar1amp2000 Tele-Meister

3. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

I highly recommend USA Custom Guitars. Order exactly what you want. You may pay a couple bucks more than your cheapest option, but in the scheme of things it will be worth it. You won't find any better quality. Might as well get your neck there too. There is no one that makes a better neck, not even Fender.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Easiest way , find a used Fender Tom Delonge or Robert Cray Strat body, those are both hardtail / non tremolo bodies.

6. big-daddy-59

big-daddy-59 Tele-Holic

Warmoth has unfinished alder strat bodies set up for a hardtail bridge in the showcase starting at $155. Is that cheap enough for you?

7. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I just recently got a Warmoth Standard, sunburst hardtail with the contoured heel from KBR (Kenny Blue Ray). Fabulous quality...light, nicely finished... made for a stunning Strat.

8. reverbbb

reverbbb Friend of Leo's

Do what they did on the EC Strat - block it. That way there are no complicated mountings or routings. You can do this on any Strat and always reverse the mod with no implications to the value of the guitar.

Leave the floating bridge springs, as this contributes to the Strat sound.

9. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

Warmoth or USACG... some great deals to be had in their "pre-made" sections.

10. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

This cost me a Jenga block.

image-918280132.jpg

11. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

I sanded down a piece of scrap oak for my Jimmie Vaughan:

[​IMG]

It's my poor man's EJ/EC Strat, with the earlier more pronounced V neck. I also put an "expander" circuit in it with a push/pull bridge tone pot. Been cheating on my '52 lately with it :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

12. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

This seller has some finished non trem aka hardtail Strat bodies on eBay for $219 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tobacco-Sun...457?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item417473a619

And I saw some unfinished bodies for less than Warmoth on eBay too.

I think there is still a tonal difference between a Strat with a blocked trem bridge and a hardtail non trem body, , maybe the strings going through the wood of the body, no tremolo bridge route, I don't know why but they sound a bit different to me.

FWIW I just have my trem bridge set up flat against the body and hardly ever use it, sounds great to me and stays tuned just fine.
    YMMV

13. UglyCasanova

UglyCasanova TDPRI Member

The block thing is not for me. Think I'll go with warmoth or eBay. Thank you for your time!

14. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

The cheapest option and not too bad either, is a Squier Affinity top loader body, it's a little thinner, but works fine. You'll need to drill the string thru holes and add a hardtail type bridge, but that's a piece a cake.

15. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

If you block it with wood (I used broken wooden clothes pins), it's also nice to damp the springs too. I did that, some use some kind of foam or sponge, I used some paper tickets I had laying around and put them under-over-under the springs.

16. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

If you don't believe that the Strat tremolo significantly contributes to the tone, then you could just take a Tele and throw 2 strat pickups in it with a 5-way switch, leaving the Tele pickup in the bridge spot. Depending on the Tele body all you need is a different pickguard or modify the stock one. Others might need a body routing for the middle pickup.

17. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I would go with a body from Marc Rutter and an Allparts FAT neck sanded down to fit your hand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.