Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Want/Need a new amp, help!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sixties-music, May 1, 2012.

1. Sixties-music

Sixties-music TDPRI Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just before x-mas I bought my first electric guitar and amp, and I bought a Fender hot rod deluxe. Really I wanted a Blues Jr, or a Vox AC15... But the smart ****er told me they wouldn't be loud enough to be heard over a drummer(as I told him that we were starting a band...) But now I see that he probably lied as my friend told me he had no problems being heard over a drummer with his Fender Super Champ XD... + The Hot Rod Deluxe much too loud for playing at home, and as we don't really gig yet, we rent a rehearsal hall where there already is amps...

So, I want to sell my Deluxe. And want to buy a tube amp for roughly the same amount of money. Not sure though how loud it should be, as I still don't need it for the band, but perhaps in the future... I think I want a vintage one, not sure here either... There's a shop (fairly) near I live that has some Fender Champs and Vibro Champs, 70's silverfaces that is, and one or two mid-60's Gibson Minutemen. Don't know if I still want a Blues Jr or a AC-15, but feel free to mention 'em if you want to. (And there's a Ampeg Reverbrocket for sale quite near, but that's probably even louder as it's 50 watts...)
    Please give me your opinion.

I like to play some rock n rolly and bluesy stuff. Like Rolling Stones, Faces, Chuck Berry, Who, Beatles, and on and on.

Btw, I live in Sweden, so not everything is available here...
  2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

Oct 10, 2010
    Southern California
    The AC15 can get some decent volume. They put good speakers in those and have pretty sizable cabinets, considering. I wouldn't personally use a Champ for anything other than playing at home.

There are some points in your post that I think should be addressed.

First, it's good that your friend has found something that works for him, but his situation may be much different from what you will encounter. What can or can't be heard over a drummer depends on what drummer you are playing with. There is no, 'one size fits all'.

Second, what exactly do you mean when you say, "The Hot Rod Deluxe much too loud for playing at home"?

That's simply not what I've found to be the case. The amp has a volume sweep, so you should be able to find some volume level that is not obnoxious for home playing. Are you interested in getting natural tube overdrive from the amp? If so, you may need to get high volume levels to do that. A lot of people these days, myself included, use pedals for overdrive, so they can obtain overdrive at more controllable volume levels.

Are you totally okay with buying another amplifier should you need something else in the future? This is a matter of opinion, not any kind of standard, but if this were to be my only guitar amp, I would get something that would be able to take care of all my needs, including those I feel I may have in the near future. It's also my personal opinion that if you try having rehearsals with a full band while using a Champ, you may run into some difficulties with your sound.

If you're interested in buying and using vintage amps, you should be prepared to maintain them. Old stuff breaks, especially old electronics that generate heat. So, if you don't know exactly how to service them, it might be wise to find someone who does. Note, the upkeep of these things may cost you some extra bucks... or, uh, kronas, in your case.
  3. ricach

ricach Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2007
    I was going to say the same thing about the vintage stuff. Unless you have a backup amp, or the ability to fix electronics, don't go for the vintage stuff. Actually that goes for most tube amps, the heat generated creates problems.

With that said, the Gibson Minuteman amps take pedals very well - but sound bland without them. Its my favorite amp to use with my pedalboard, but least favorite otherwise. (I have about 20 tube amps from vintage to new stuff).

As for being heard over the drummer - the acoustics in a house, or practice room are completely different than in a performance situation. The bottom will drop out of anything you use when you're playing on stage, and so will the volume. However, the drums somehow get louder. lol. Maybe cause they get more enthusiatic playing a gig? Stick with 'much too loud' for practice, you'll be glad you did once you start gigging.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    I had a OT and a v30 put in a minuteman...kicks butt. ,,, tone stack unique.,but
    adds to the chime..12.5 watts

but, it sounds like you want a starter .. like the AC15...or the other fenders mentioned here.
  6. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Jan 20, 2006
    Northern WI Gods Country!
    My Opinion look at the amp some where there is a volume knob on it use it. I hear the term "Bed Room" amp or "Home" Amp I got to laugh what a bunch of BS. Back in the old days we had one amp and we gigged with it and used it to practice at home with. You can play a 40 watt amp at home you can play a 100 watt amp just turn the darn thing down.
  7. Sixties-music

Jun 30, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, of course I can turn the volume down, which I do... But IMO it sounds, I don't know how to put it but, not as good as if you turn the volume up... If you know what I'm sayin'...
  8. hooch1

hooch1 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2010
    A tube amp is not going to sound the same at home as on stage even 15w.

I have an AC15 and its harder to use at home than my Classic 30 so watts are not the whole story.

If you are looking for that, a Fender Mustang III will do the trick.

Or maybe a small amp like a SCXD that you can run through a larger cab on stage.
  9. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    I wouldn't say the salesman lied to you at a guy who plays in a band...40 to 60watts is most desired when playing Rock N-roll in beerjoints..unless you want to mic' a smaller amp..but most don't.

They do make volume pedals that will allow you to dial way down without loosing great tone..also, multi effect pedals such as the one I use, the Zoom G2.1u features a volume control. Do you not use any effects when playing in a band..such as some Tremolo..delay..etc..??

You can certainly ditch your amp for something else..but the Deluxe is a fine sounding amp and is for the stage if you ever get there

Heres my 40watt Blues Tweed Deluxe in the house..using my Zoom..the volume is very manageable. Good Luck in your delemma :cool:

Also..The Fender Mustang 3 or 4 amp model are excellent choices..very usable for the home/studio and stage ;)

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    so you're after light tube breakup at low volumes. You're talking princeton reverb, which you'd have to mic. Vox ac15, probably still have to mic it.

The other side of the coin: look into an attenuator.

The hrd is a great gigging amp. Perfect size. Super champ xd will get lost unmic 'd live. Maybe it sounds good in rehearsals but it will get lost at a real show

Have you tried the hrd at rehearsal yet? You might find that you really like it for its primary use .. playing gigs.. certainly you can drown out that super champ xd :D
  11. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Jan 20, 2006
    Northern WI Gods Country!
    Of course musicians like amps and music some what loud :lol::lol::lol: Rock and Roll always sounds better to the musician cranking it on stage then playing at a whisper because the gig wants it quiet. Even Country likes to be a bit raucous once in a while But who you trying to impress at home? That does not mean the amp does not sound good at lower volumes just different because your ears perceive it differently. Take a Tape deck in the car the music your playing does not sound any differently at lower volumes then if you play it loud but you like it loud because you think it sounds better. Playing in the band I always liked it when we could play louder but that always was not possible. Did the music change at a lower volume. I doubt it.
  12. Sixties-music

Jun 30, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    After reading your opinions, I'm thinking of probably keeping my hot rod.
  13. Wally

Wally Telefied

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Sixties music, if you put a 12AY7 in V1 of that amp, you will find a sweeter and more controllable sound coming out of the amp. Also, check the bias to makes usre that it is not running 'cold'.
  14. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2010
    tucson, az
    keep the hrd and get a vox pathfinder to play at home. . .120 bucks, great vox tone. .
  15. finnplayer

finnplayer TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2012

This, sound advice - you'll have all your bases covered!
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.