Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wanna buy a belt sander anyone use this harbor freight one?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by highwaycat, Oct 9, 2018.

1. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2017
    California
    I'm looking at this one for assisting in making nuts, mainly for sanding the width down to fit the nut cavity on the thicker blanks. Are there other recommendations for one maybe with a disc?

Do you think I'll need a angle gauge? I'm also considering getting a small Starrett square to help true things up.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-60543.html

2. pictacado

pictacado Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2013
    Earth
    nojazzhere likes this.
  3. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2017
    California
  4. I have the Rigid ros version and use it continually for body shaping, nut thickness/shaping, headstock transition, neck back transitions...much more versatile than a standard belt or disk.

I made this jig for nut thicknessing a few years ago that could be adapted for a belt or disk. It has been a huge improvement in time savings and consistency. I stick the nut in the recess with a little spray sticky on the back, set the block in the miter slot, and turn the knob on the back to move the nut in and out towards the belt. I have some reference lines on the jig for approximate thickness.

Eric

1539079063845.jpg 1539079068870.jpg 1539079120510.jpg

stormin1155 and highwaycat like this.
  5. pictacado

pictacado Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2013
    Earth

The 12" is way to big if grinding nuts are the only thing you'll be using it for. I was looking for an inexpensive small disc sander, not a combo model, so ended up not buying anything. I'll probably end up building my own disc sander out of tools I have around. It was easy enough to use glued down sand paper to take off the thickness by hand, but to make the nut shorter this method proved difficult to keep things even & square.

Here is a thread which includes some posts about building your own disc sander, you'll find eallen's setup there too :)

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/q-how-to-thin-down-a-bone-blank.857394/

highwaycat likes this.
  6. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2017
    California
    Thanks I'll make a jig I'm taking another woodworking class so it should be the way to go.

7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I bought this about two years ago it's really nice for shaping nuts and most small parts. I keep finding more things to use it for really a handy tool. But if you are just starting out building up your woodworking tools not sure what tools you have there’s others I’d buy first. I should add I’m not a big fan of HF tools.

https://www.rockler.com/rikon-50-15...8uBW6ed9FfomcaWqxUxIDM7gyvPA5OW4aAgfmEALw_wcB

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Harbor Freight is great for some things but for power tools I would probably buy something a little nicer. Maybe check Craigslist or some pawn shops if you're short on funds.

Just my two cents.

cornfed and eallen like this.
  9. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    There's a narrow range where HF has some decent tools at a really good price. Outside that range it's usually either too cheap to bother with, or worth it to spend the $$ on something really good. For a little 1x6 sander, I think they'd probably be OK for hobbyist purposes. I have a 20" drill press that's actually really well made.

Also, recently discovered FB Marketplace is really good for tools, at least in my area.

noah330 and SacDAve like this.
  10. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    I have one and use it every day. Very handy. I have a couple of bigger ones (4"x36" and 6"x48"), but the little one is just so handy.

11. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    I have made many nuts and acoustic saddles on that HF belt sander. Buy the extended warranty for it.

cornfed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.