Walnut/Paulownia sandwich body enough twang???

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Telephonist, May 21, 2019.

1. Telephonist

Telephonist Tele-Meister

Hi,

I have a board of walnut laying around here from which I want to build a Tele body. It's a little bit too thin, so I have to combine it with another board. Because walnut is rather heavy, i've been thinking about combining it with Paulownia.

Do you think that this wood combination will deliver enough twang to get a good Tele sound?

Some say that walnut sounds similar to Mahogany ( some have a different meaning...). So this alone may result in a little bit to warm sounding body. I hope that the paulownia will add a little snapiness and bite to it.

What are your opinions? Is it worth it and will I come in the telecaster ball park concerning enough twang? Or should I go down the traditional way and order trust a board of swamp ash?

Dan

2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I'm in the camp that thinks twang is about the bridge pickup and playing style more than body wood. Oh, and use a thin pick.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Haha...not to contend, but I am the opposite. I think wood matters...at least a little. And I use thick jazz picks. Different strokes.

4. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I agree that the bridge pickup plate/saddle choice/bridge itself have WAY more to do with twang than the wood.

I'd say it isn't going to matter what wood you use. Once you plug it into your amp, most if not ALL of the minuscule nuance you get from the wood is going to disappear, ESPECIALLY if you use any sort of gain.

Peltogyne likes this.
  5. Telephonist

Telephonist Tele-Meister

Well, I do own two Strats. When played them unplugged the first one is really sparkly and shiny, whereas the second is really mellow, even slightly dull. I'm OK with it because the second one has two humbuckers and so it gets you more in the Gibson kind of tone. But for a Tele it would definitely be too less bright.

On a bright guitar you can always use your tone knob but you can't add brilliance to to warm sounding guitar...

That's why am still hesitating with the walnut / paulownia combination.

But I agree that the bridge of a Tele and the pickup have A LOT to do with the twang.

6. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

hard hard hard maple. (please don't listen to me cause i really haven't a clue)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.