Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

WalMart "EverStart" car batteries?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by E5RSY, Sep 15, 2018.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I have always bought Sears DieHard, but they just shuttered the Sears in my area :( ( That's a whole 'nuther thread.).

Anyway, looking at the WalMart instead. Thoughts on their batteries?

Thanks,
    Scott

p.s. I know there are other "nicer" batteries out there, but we don't need a whole lot of CCA down here, so I don't usually pony up the cash for Interstates, etc.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  2. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Johnson Controls Inc manufactures Wally's Everstart and the Sears Diehard batteries.

Johnson also mfgs the Optima brand line.

Geo and kuvash like this.
  3. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    Dont you mean "Never start" ??

Seriously don't... been there done that song and dance, $350 later I bought a red top optima... should have done that to begin with.

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I had no problems with them. The one on my wife's Chevy Traverse is on its 4th year with no issues.

5. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    Luck of the draw man, good for you!

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm thinking about the Boardroom guy, Marketing guy or wanna be who came up with the Everstart name.

Anyone here think that person has an engineering degree or has worked in engineering?

P Thought likes this.
  7. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Wimauma Florida
    Wet cell batteries are like guitar strings.

There are 3 or 4 companies making batteries and 50 companies making battery labels.

kuvash, birddog01, stnmtthw and 4 others like this.
  8. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    I think they may have had a doctorate in bull excrement.

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Replaced my battery with one last spring (2017) no issues at all. Good, strong cranking power.

birddog01 likes this.
  10. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    The best rule of thumb for batteries is "Don't be a cheapskate when it is time to buy a battery". This is the heart of your car's entire electrical system.
    CCA (cold cranking amps) is the best way to judge what you are getting. Higher CCA means more "plates per cell", which translates in to better performance. Also, the longer the warranty offered, say 36 months versus 60 months is a real tell as to the overall quality of the battery.
    MAINTENANCE is the key to any batteries life. Keep those cable connections clean, and tight. Use a battery spray sealant/protectant on them to help control corrosion build up. Don't let excessive dirt build up on top. Electrical energy can travel through it, post to post on your battery, slowly draining it's power. (I have proved this to more than a few people with a multi-tester)
    If you buy the top of the line Wal-mart battery, and not the cheapest one, you will get good service from it(if you take care of it).
    Old mechanic, signing out. Mike

11. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    $350.00 later? Over how much time? How many batteries is that? They do have warranties.

Their premium batteries are very well rated and I have them in two cars and here in AZ batteries don't last as long as in colder climates.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I, and everyone in my family, have had very good luck with Walmart batteries. Something not yet mentioned is that if you do have a problem (and that can occur with ANY brand) there's probably a convenient Walmart to handle warranty replacement. I had a Walmart battery go bad within a week or so of the full replacement date....they provided a brand new one at no cost to me.

kuvash and DrPepper like this.
  13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    As Georex just said, heat kills batteries. Here in Florida it’s common to only get about three years out of a battery, no matter the brand.

Georox, Rich_S and nojazzhere like this.
  14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    They do have a good warranty, but if you get it all the way home and it's no good, what's the point.
    Sometimes when something has a warranty, it's like having a sign on it that says to the employees, "Don't bother caring about this product...if they don't like it, they can bring it back."
    You want your car to start a 2a.m. after a gig?
    I have great luck with Interstate.

Johnson johnson likes this.
  15. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I didn't realize this, but apparently extreme hot weather is harder on car batteries than the cold. This summer, I've had to replace my own car battery. I bought a battery from Costco, Interstate I believe, because of the great warranty: 4 years free replacement.

A month later, we replaced our son's battery. Costco didn't the size battery for his car, so we went to Walmart, who also had a pretty good warranty: 3 year replacement, then pro-rated after that. So far, that battery has performed well.

Georox and nojazzhere like this.
  16. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere

Frigid temperatures kill batteries...

I was including the price of the Optima in that figure, at $209 plus tax...

I went through three Walmart batteries in less than 4 days. May have just been a bad batch, but 1 time of the wife going off on me for being stranded is good enough let alone 3 times.

Bought an Optima and it's been plugging along for about 5-6yrs now.

17. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jan 5, 2004
    North of Dallas, TX
    YES. I have one in a 96 Mustang for over a year and still going strong. I would warn, however, about the free installation. The guy who installed the battery in my car could not figure out how to open the hood. He also had an unorganized loose bag full of combination wrenches, which took at least three tries before finding the right size. His technique left much to be desired, Would rather on hindsight, installed it myself and brought the old one back for credit.

The battery itself meets or exceeds expectations, and has good reviews online. I would buy again if needed, but install it myself.

nojazzhere and Georox like this.
  18. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2003
    CT
    Bought 3 or 4 of them as replacements for different cars in our family over the last 10 years or so, and lastly - my '05 Silverado pickup. Never had a problem with any of them. Those other vehicles are long traded in, but my truck's battery is now in it's 4th year. I'll buy one again when the time comes.

nojazzhere, Georox and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    They are putting smaller batteries in cars now, every oz. they can save on anything in the car bumps up their tested gas mileage. The battery in my CRV is the next size up from a motorcycle battery. When it fails again, I'm going to get the battery holder for an Odyssey and change the battery to a larger size. I wish I had figured that out long before now, I've bought seven batteries in seven years for the car. The car is otherwise trouble free, but the battery thing is a pain in the butt. I bought a battery pack jumper and carry in the car just in case.

My advice for anyone buying a battery, even if you have to buy a new battery holder, put the biggest one you can put in the space. I don't really believe the brand makes any difference since as someone said, there are a few manufacturers providing batteries for many outlets.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    There’s a 50/50 chance the guy putting the great(?)/crappy(?)/IDGAF batteries on the shelf at Walmart is a part-timer.

That’s because over the last couple years WallyWorld went from 30% part-timers to 50%.

Why ?

Because the Waltons needed more money to pay their 6,000 suppliers (5,000 of which are based in China).

You know, so they could do that and maintain the lifestyle they were accustomed to...

But - if any of you don’t care/are annoyed by my edutainment, go to Walmart and buy whatever.

However, if you want a good battery, buy one of these and stop messing around and also - notice where they’re made :

http://www.odysseybattery.com/about.aspx

Nightclub Dwight and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.