Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wally World Acrylic under Clear Coat?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Ellison Toast, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Ellison Toast

Ellison Toast TDPRI Member

Sep 25, 2017
    NC, USA
    I'm hoping someone can help me not screw up a build.

I want to build a guitar with hand prints on it from my infant daughter, my wife, and I. I'm planning to dye the guitar body (water based), and then I want to put the handprints on and clear coat over it. What kind of paint would you use to put the handprints on? Additionally, What kind of finish coat would you put on?

What immediately came to mind was to use acrylic paint (like from wally world) for the hand prints, let it dry and sand it down a bit, so it isn't so rough, and spray nitro laquer over it, but I'm not sure if the laquer will react with the acrylic.

I built a Nashville Tele that I finished with Tru Oil, and I love the feel of the neck on it. I doubt Tru Oil is a good choice for this build, though, since it has to soak into the wood. If it matters, the wood would be mahogany that I will fill and sand. I will test on scrap wood, but I don't have scrap mahogany to test on.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Nitro is pretty safe over most dry finishes. Test it on a piece of scrap.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Yep.

Nope.

Nitrocellulose lacquer has hot solvents in it that often work as paint remover if applied over acrylic coatings. You can use shellac and some specialty waterbased sealers under lacquer, but not "acrylic", "vinyl acrylic", "latex" (a terribly meaningless generic term) or oil-based paints, sealers, film-building stains etc.

4. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    make sure you have got a acrylic paint with a good amount of color pigment ore it may fade away in the years by sunlight.

5. Ellison Toast

Sep 25, 2017
    NC, USA
    Thank for the feedback everyone!

Does anyone have any ideas how I could do this? With what specific products?

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Maybe acrylic and follow it with spray polyurethane?

7. gourmetsaint

gourmetsaint Tele-Meister

May 17, 2017
    Australia
    Agreed and with UV protection in the polyurethane to stop the colourful handprints from fading.

8. thecrushr

thecrushr TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Bay Area
    You mean like these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One sonic blue, one surf green. One for each kid to have when I am long gone hopefully a long time from now. I'm not trying to disagree with anything any of the previous posters said. Just sharing what worked for me so take it for what it is worth.

Finishing schedule was vinyl sealer, reranch primer, reranch color, hand prints, nitro clear (reranch clear on the blue and seagraves on the green - I got a spray rig by the time I did the green). I can't remember if I sprayed a coat or two of clear between the color and handprints as protection in case the prints did not go on well and I had to sand them off and redo it. I likely did add some clear first but did not need to sand it. For the handprints, I used Liquitex Glossies which is an acrylic enamel artist paint that a lot of people apparently used on glass. I went to find you a link to buy it and discovered that sadly it has been discontinued. It was water based and non-toxic which meant easy and safe to use with the kids and it worked well with the lacquer. I wish I had a better suggestion for a replacement but maybe this at least gives you an idea of what to look for and do some tests. These were done 5 and 4 years ago, respectively, and have no issues to this day.

A few tips and advice. Do a test run on paper plates or something like that with the kids so you get a feel of how much paint and pressure to use to get a clean print without too much paint. The two downsides of nitro are it will yellow some and it took a LOT of clear to bury the prints and keep from sanding through. I think I did probably close to twice the number of coats I would normally do. 2k urethane would bury it way quicker but then I am not sure about compatibility. I would also recommend misting on the first few coats of clear after the prints.

These are now two of my favorite and most special guitars. It is a really cool project so enjoy the experience and post pics when you are done.

Steve Holt likes this.

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    As I recall it uses a particular blend of vinyl and other resins. There are vinyls and acrylics that can be used under lacquers, and many conventional ones might work depending on how you spray (and it's possible to get lucky with almost anything) - but as a rule conventional acrylic paints are not compatible with solvent-based lacquers.

I've used an industrial acrylic called "Breakthrough" to create color coats - that stuff seems to be impervious to just about everything including Panther urine! :lol:

10. Ellison Toast

Sep 25, 2017
    NC, USA
    Thank you, everyone!

Yes, thecrushr, that is something very similar to what I want to do. Thanks for all of the tips!

I'll definitely post pics when I finish it :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.