Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Wal-Mart Employees clapping / chanting before starting shift...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Swee_tone, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2009
    This morning went into the bathroom at Wal-Mart before picking up a couple items. I start hearing this yelling and clapping.
    Then I hear "GIMME A W..... GIMME AN A.... GIMMEE AN L..... etc. What do you got WAL-MART YAAAAAAAAAAAAYY"
    All the employees doing a morning chant.

That this really bothers me. There's something wrong with this.

Or is it just me?

2. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    having shopped at Wal-Mart from time to time, i'm surprised the employees could spell
  3. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

oh i dunno, it doesn't bother me. heck, i wish my local walmart representatives were so enthusiastic about their jobs. they are like the walking dead in my town.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2009
    Ahh... the cult of Walmart. Obviously, some people don't have a problem lapping up all of the corporate hooey -but I'm not one of them. To me, it just seems like the old 'turn off your brain so you can be a better person' b******t.
  6. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I didn't think it was possible but my lack of respect for Walmart just took another turn for the worst.
  7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    It is, of course, an attempt at team building. But $$$ have always been a better motivation for me.

I worked as a bell-hop at a hotel during college. We got a new manager once who was the greatest team-builder of all time. He walked around with $20 bills in his pocket at all times. If he witnessed you doing an exception job, he'd walk over to you and simply smile, shake your hand, and give you a $20 bill. He was always walking around everywhere. You never knew where he was going to be.

People loved that man, and worked hard for him. I guess he just always worked that money into his budget every year. It made us actually want to go work at a seemingly meaningless job.... much more than any team-chant, or any "Employee of the Month" plaque on the wall.
  8. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2009
    Hartford CT
    It would be nice if Wal-mart started a morning "healing chant" for those full time employees who they offer no health insurance....
  9. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    Give me a W A L M A R T where's it made C H I N A !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 17, 2007
    Willamette and Columbia
    They are doing it because they have to - I assure you that most of 'em would much rather not.
  11. Major ZING!
  12. Guit-jitsu

Guit-jitsu Tele-Afflicted

Aug 6, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Be glad you heard it but didn't see it ... for the hyphen they wiggled their tushies
  13. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2010
    My Uncle used to be the regional sales rep for a bunch of comestic lines and was in Walmart for a meeting or something many years ago and the manager tried to force him to take part in the pre-day warmup (which he said also involved some sort of calisthetics at the time) and that as part of the 'wallmart family' he was obligated to. My unlce is 6'4" and I would say about 240lbs - he just said no and there was no further discussion
  14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    Those people are just happy that they are not working at Starbucks, Kinko's, or Pip's anymore.

IBM used to have a rigid corporate culture. IBMbeciles used to sing the company songs at meetings. I don't think that it was until Lou Gerstner took over in 91 or 92 that they loosened it up to appeal to younger and more creative types that eschewed big corporate culture and were attracted to smaller Silicon Valley type jobs. It has an office very near me and I see the employees at lunch daily, they are all dressed business casual.
  15. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 26, 2010
    I believe the whole corporate song/chant thing began in Japan. They also start the morning with calisthenics at some Japanese companies. U.S. companies started adopting these things when they first became desperate to compete with Japan. It was probably attractive to U.S. executives, since it's cheaper and easier to order your employees to pretend to be happy than to make a better product and sell it for less money.
  16. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

Dec 22, 2008
    St. Paul MN
    Then why everytime I go there does it seem whoevers helping me would rather blow their browns out then help me?
  17. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Me too. I always thought this was a myth. I'm humiliated for them. Someone trying to make a living and they get degraded like this.
  18. IdahoPicker

IdahoPicker Tele-Afflicted

Jun 20, 2009
    North Idaho
    Yep, just like wiping your butt on your own dignity....
    ...I used to work there.

Don't ever work there.
  19. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    Do they also do the "Hookey Pookey"????
  20. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 15, 2010
    Worked for a company one time that would send management to retreats where they would fall and catch each other, go touch a tree, chant and do yoga.

This just seems to be the less expensive Walmart version. I've seen it at restaurant chains too. Or maybe that was just a stupid birthday song.
  21. kelnet

kelnet Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Is it true that Walmart sells Led Zeppelin CDs, John Mayer CDs, and books on how to relic guitars?
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.