Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Waiting on Deliveries - Wife isn't Celebrating!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by D_W_PGH, Sep 12, 2018.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I've gotten back into guitar in the last year, after sort of abandoning it for about 10 years (kids).

Along with that, I sort of turned over most of my older guitars and have been on a buying spree, and the mrs. isn't happy. This time around, i'm building, too, and having good initial success.

This week, I should be getting two collings guitars (used - I like guitars with a dent or two, the sellers are willing to deal) - a 290 with TV jones pickups, and a 360 with small lollar humbuckers. And one of the cheaper "Faded" les pauls to evaluate.

I'm not made of money, but will hold enough back to splurge here or there.

My wife, however, is pissed, so I can't go to her and tell her how great of a week this will be!

I usually keep about 8-10 guitars at a given time, and once the thrill of getting back into things is over, i"ll settle on what those will be.

Anyone else have either of the stripped down collings solidbodies? I was originally thinking of getting a p-90 les paul special style 290, but figured I'd just build one instead.

Brucesu and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Two guitars on the way is definitely a good week. You should see if you can trade your unhappy wife for a few more. Just don' let her see the advertisement before the deal is done.:)

ianstrike likes this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Sounds like it's flowers, jewelry, shoes and clothes buying time for you.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Normally I get away with this, the sales sort of balance out the buys - keeps the hobby cheap on a net basis.

She says new carpet and new bathroom after this one (I redid the bathroom myself about 10 years ago, but she's looking for blood this time!).

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    That's "for the house" and, therefore, doesn't count and won't get you off the hook.

drlucky and Tulk like this.
  6. Rixm

Rixm NEW MEMBER!

Sep 4, 2018
    West coast
    I lucked out when I started buying beyond my first couple of guitars and was going to trade in a really nice Taylor 316ce as part of the payment for a 616ce. Wife suggested that I not trade-in the 316 and that I should keep it as part of my legacy for our kids (Love the idea that they will remember me if they pick up one of my guitars up to play long after I’m gone. Love the idea that these instruments might live on in our family for generations!)
    Maybe you could try this angle? Good luck.

Almost forgot, happy NGD!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Virginia
    "revenge spending" isn't healthy for the marriage... good luck

Grant Austin likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    I built her a library...

THEN, I got a nice big 24 channel desk for the studio.

There is a natural order to these things.

Brucesu, Obsessed and telemnemonics like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    So, you bought three expensive guitars in the same week without even knowing you like them, and your wife is pissed?

Works for me!

(that would piss my wife off too)

drlucky likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Wait, your wife is pissed about prior guitar purchases but doesn't know about this last three buys?

Yikes!

Remember, even if you win you lose!

Brucesu likes this.
  11. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    I'm in the same boat, she's jealous. For a long time I've moved gear to acquire gear as it's been a necessity since turning 18, just not enough income to splurge but I made reasonably considerate purchases for the most part.

Just the other day, AV'54 strat on clearance, $1350, **** me. Couldn't resist after finding one locally for $1,000 more w/no wiggle room. The next day I walk an amp I had little into to GC and they give me $1450.

She's still pissed about it, too bad for her as when she empties actual income on trips/etc then someone the card gets declined? "It's fine." Some folks just don't understand sound reasoning. Assets=Moneyz.

In fact, why on earth you'd foster a relationship with someone who started playing guitar before puberty, graduate of music school, who spends enormous man hours engulfed in the discipline in some manner while having zero interest in any of it? Music, instruments, all that, I'll be knee deep in it as long as health allows. The womerns tho...they've come & gone but I'm okay with that.

esetter and Brucesu like this.
  12. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah absolutely!

I can't live with someone who isn't supportive of me playing music.
    My wife can be a real pain, but she mostly likes it when I play fairly loud electric guitar, and even wants me to buy gear now and then.
    Money is tight these days though...

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  13. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    You can't go wrong with a Collings.

14. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
  15. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Don't know about those guitars. But man, could I tell you stories about the wife getting pissed!

So, I'm kind of the master here on hiding purchases from the missus.

I'm even thinking about starting a newsletter on the subject!

Uncle Bob likes this.
  16. Tulk

Tulk TDPRI Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Birmginahm, AL
    2hsrvo.jpg

Brucesu and Ira7 like this.
  17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
  18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    It’s not about money, it’s about control. If the bills are paid and she is angry about something that makes you happy, you have a much, much deeper problem that will not be solved if you don’t buy guitars. If it isn’t guitars her anger will be redirected to anything that makes you happy. You have a much bigger problem than how many guitars you have.

19. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Michigan
    My ex wife thought buying guitars was a waste of money. I swear she hating seeing me happy. My new wife encourages me to buy guitars and guitar related gear. She tells me that I deserve it because I work hard and provide our family with financial security.

20. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Nah. Gotta disagree with you.

50% of us here have 5 or many more guitars, and never touch most of them. Add to that the fact that most of us stink, and the inevitable conclusion is...

They're being sensible. We're being obsessive.

But OUR argument which will be highlighted in my newsletter is, look at how many shoes they own.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.