Wait a minute - why do I need a filter for the water that comes out of my fridge?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don’t have a filter for the water that comes out of my tap. So why do I need one for the same water source that’s just being routed through my fridge?

All expected jokes aside, Detroit has some of the best city water in the country. It’s a scientific fact. (Flint’s trouble started when they switched off of Detroit water )

And with our Fisher Paykel Austrawlyun fridge :rolleyes:, The filter is supposed to go to 3 feet or so after the little screw tap in the basement, then another couple feet of line, then into the fridge.

The installer gave us the kit and said “you have to put this in” I said “how often do I change the filter ?” he said “whenever the water flow was low.” I asked him “well if I don’t put the filter in, the water flow will never get low - right ?”

He just looked off in the distance...

2. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

You win! He just realized he lost a recurring overpriced filter sale.

CharlieO and daddyplaysbass like this.
  3. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

It's more for the ice maker. Ask any poor beggar that had to fix one, They slime up without the filter. I imagine it will keep the water valves in the fridge trouble free longer. That installer needs a new job:rolleyes:

JL_LI, Obsessed and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

This is actually a good question. I'm about to hook up a new fridge with water and ice maker and I'm in Lansing, one of the few places in the world that beats Detroit for water quality :D

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mike, the only reason I wouldn't run without a filter is because of the small size of some of the orifices in a fridge water and ice system. Our water is pretty good but I have a pre filter on our fridge before it even goes in the supply line. I've had to clean it/replace it once in the three years we've been here. I still change the fridge filter every year.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  6. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

You don’t need a filter, but the activated charcoal takes out any chlorine odour, or the “plastic” taste from the fridge’s internal pipes.

It’s not a bio or particulate filter.

7. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

The spout on my fridge is connected to a beer keg. There is no filter in the fridge and no filter in me after I have a few pours in the evening.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Alright. I guess I’ll put it in. I don’t want to muck around with an icemaker at any point in time.

You can tell that some European designed the icemaker. It quite literally produces maybe two old-fashioned size ice cube trays with very tiny cubes - per day ! We could go away for the weekend and it might have a fighting chance of filling the modest receptacle.

william tele and Nickadermis like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I would assume that the filter is for the lowest denominator tap water in their (the fridge maker) market for perhaps minerals that might clog overtime. If you are drinking or making ice with city water ... mmmmm, I'd put it in. Maybe it'll taste better.;)

10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle TDPRI Member

The only reason you would need a filter is (1) particulates which might deposit in small orifices or moving parts (2) if you want carbon for chlorine/taste issues. If your water is free of particulates and you don't have taste issues you can run with no filter. I do. If you go forward with the install make sure you can get to it. Old carbon filters can give bacteria (usually benign) a place to grow because they kill the chlorine that otherwise keeps bacteria in check. Absent a problem I think the filters are a waste of time and money.

Mike Eskimo and corliss1 like this.
  11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It would depend on where your water source comes from, where I am during spring run off we are subject to high levels of Fecal coliphorm and turbidity from fine particulate sedement from the ranches along the Thompson River the source of our water , Kamloops city has built a filtering station to process our potable water ,prior to,we had to boil our water during run off , Detroit has a lot of industry , I would be prone to use the filter, but thats just me!

and again if I used a filter system I would get a reversed osmosis system

12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

why did you buy this fridge, if you dislike everything about it?

why didn't you buy an American-made fridge?

why do you need water to run through your new fridge? can't you just get the world's best water out of your tap?

and since making your own ice is much more efficient than this European-Australian ice-maker design, why don't you just freeze your own ice cubes?

I just don't understand how people find so much to complain about.

tintag27 likes this.
  13. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

We bought an LG fridge a few years back that required new LG branded $50 filter every six months! The refrigerator/ice maker is fed by a reverse osmosis system under the sink, so we filtered filtered water. But, no filter, no ice. I checked around for a dummy/bypass filter and couldn't find one.
    Next I found an off brand "exact replacement" filter for $25. Broke the filter holder inside the fridge trying to force the dang thing on. Not so exact. The LG repair service wanted $400 to replace the filter socket.
    We ended up moving that refrigerator out to the garage (big beer cooler) and bought a brand new refrigerator.
    I made sure this one could make ice without a blasted filter installed.
    All's well that ends well.

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

If you think you have clean water, wash your car and don't dry it. Or let it get hosed by the sprinkler. The spots left behind after the water dries are minerals that were dissolved in the water. The minerals are harmless to you but are the source of the problem for the ice maker. The filter is a deionizing cartridge that removes minerals. It's the dissolved minerals that give water its taste. I'm sure Detroit water tastes fine and that's the minerals in it. Move up to the Canadian shield and the mineral content will both change and increase. It's just a fact of life. I don't dare bring my black car into the driveway until my wife finishes playing with the water and the water where I live has very low mineral content if you don't live near the Grumman pollution plume.

15. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Our fridge won't pour water without a filter connected. Though that doesn't mean it has to be changed regularly I suppose. It amazes me that you can get a 4k 40+" tv for under $400, but a little water filter has to cost $65.

Nightclub Dwight and AAT65 like this.
  16. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

That's sort of a complaint in itself. ;)

17. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

I dunno. I'm a kitchen-sink-tap man myself. It grosses out my wife.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Man. Thank You for reminding me why I love my water supply at The Cabin, even though the well pump produces uneven water pressure.

If I fill the tub and let it stand, I get sediment, but when I wash the car, just amazingly clean result. And neither Memphis nor New Orleans are actually that bad, next to most urban places.

19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Georox likes this.
  20. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

How close are you to Flint?

NashvilleDeluxe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.