Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Wah before Compressor? Or Compressor before Wah?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fink, Oct 23, 2003.

1. fink

fink Tele-Meister

On my pedalboard, I usually have the Compressor first in the chain. But for ergonomic reasons and space, I tried swapping the Wah Wah into the #1 spot, before the compressor... It works okay, but I'm not sure which sound I like better. Noise doesn't seem to be too much of an issue at practice volume, but it could be at a gig...

Those of you that use Wah Wah and Compressor on your boards, what order do you arrange them?

thanks a bunch,
    -Dan

PS We are talking Budda Bud-Wah and Boss CS-3 Compressor.

2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Can't you do this...

Just because your pedals are set up in one physical order doesn't mean that you have to wire them in that order.

In order of signal chain, I prefer the compressor first, then the wah, but I have to have the wah pedal first on the board (on the bottom far right). Since I rarely turn the compressor on or off in the middle of a song, I have it on the top row.

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's

Compressor ALWAYS first!! :D

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I like the compressor first

and /or maybe even a Tube Screamer, either before a wah seems to enhance the wah effect better to my ears, but in the end it's what you like.

6. Steven

Steven Tele-Holic

Wha first (Fullton modded Cry Baby) then compressor (Trex CompNova). That works just fine IMHO but I cant say that I notice much difference in sound/feel compared to the other way around. Use your ears and fingers to find the order you want.

7. Telejammer

Telejammer Tele-Meister

Comp 1st

I've always put the compressor 1st in the chain.

Telejammer

8. jjmantele

jjmantele Tele-Holic

Sustainer?

If the compressor is also a sustainer I think the wah should be after it. You don't want a sustainer amplifying the wah movement. Better to let the sustainer do it's thing on the pure guitar signal then send it to the wah (and other stuff.) On a pure compressor, I could go either way until actually trying it to find out which I'd prefer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.