Wabash Deluxe

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by bluerolo, Apr 15, 2019.

1. bluerolo

bluerolo TDPRI Member

Hello all, hoping for a bit of help on a 1956 Wabash Deluxe I just purchased. I have not been able to find a schematic and unless someone here knows where I can find one I kinda doubt I ever will. It came with a non original 4 ohm CTS 15” ceramic magnet speaker. I’m trying to find out what ohm speaker is correct for the original output trans. Will measuring across the OT speaker leads tell me anything?....I did this and came up with 1.8 ohms.
    Also trem does not work...any tips on first thing to check?
    I did open it up and clean all pots an$ jacks, have a stash of new old stock tubes around so I did replace a few. It is 100% original other than speaker so I will at least replace filters. Most 8mportantly want to confirm what ohm speaker is correct though...thanks for any help.
    upload_2019-4-15_23-6-41.jpeg

Wally, uriah1, Fiesta Red and 2 others like this.
  2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Cool looking old amp, post some more pics of the chassis and insides when you get a chance.

3. bluerolo

bluerolo TDPRI Member

Here is pic with back cover off
    upload_2019-4-15_23-26-0.jpeg

jimytheassassin likes this.
  4. bluerolo

bluerolo TDPRI Member

And another of the control panel
    upload_2019-4-15_23-27-23.jpeg

5. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Are those 6L6GA power tubes?

6. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Dang bro, that's a lot of old school tweed in that first photo....

Care to share?

7. bluerolo

bluerolo TDPRI Member

Yeah pretty much a tweed fanatic... 59 Bandmaster, 60 Harvard, 59 Champ, the big blonde is a Billy Penn 3x10 59 Bassman circuit, not pictured is a 57 Deluxe. Just discovering the Dano circuits, not pictured is a Silvertone 1432 and now this Danelectro built Wabash, becoming a big fan of his stuff.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Bluerolo, that amp almost certainly wants to see an 8 ohm speaker. There is a way to determine the turns ratio and thereby deduce what the secondary impedance is in relation to the tubes being used. But....it wants an 8 ohm speaker, ime.
    And...you might want to check this schematic against your amp, it is not an exact thing; but it appears that the two amps may have some things in common.
    https://el34world.com/charts/Schema...anelectro_seriesd_model_89_challenger_pg1.pdf

There is a second schematic there for the input preamp section......which only has two channels versus the three in yours. Also, this Md. 89 does not have tremolo. I like that Wabash and would jump on it in a second. It would be of interest to draw the schematic. I just resurrected a 1966 Alamo Fury for which there is no known schematic. It is such an interesting amp that I had to draw the schematic. It is NOT a clone of any Ampeg amp as some on the ‘net have stated.

9. bluerolo

bluerolo TDPRI Member

Aerhead they are 6L6G tubes, I stuck a set of RCA 5881 in though. Thx for the schematic Wally, I've heard that the Series D Challenger is very similar, there is also a Montgomery Ward Airline that is either really close or the same amp, the 8438 model. Any tips on what to look for regarding non-working trem? thx!

10. bluerolo

bluerolo TDPRI Member

i was able to pull numbers off the output trans, it a Utah 1797 coded 328609, I’ve had no luck finding info on it...sure would like to confirm specs before I spend $$ on a 50’s alnico speaker and recone. Anyone know this transformer or a way to spec it out? Thx

11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Meister

Just looking at the pics reminds me of the smell of my folk's old console stereo or an old TV that was full of tubes. It was a unique aroma, not unpleasant, more like wood that has been lightly toasted, possibly by hot tubes.

12. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Please tell me they also made a model called the Cannonball

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.