Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

VW Bug?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jaimed, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    I like the new ones, look meaner than the recent 10 or so years. Looking forward to seeing the TDI version which I've heard will be out this Summer.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I had old VW van. Gave my dates blankets, and got out at every stop sign
    to scrape ice outside car window.
    But, it was fun.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Codger

Codger Tele-Meister

May 16, 2009
    NJ
    My first car was a '56 with the little oval rear window. Paid $75.00 for it. It was gret fun, would go anywere and was easy to fix. The "Idiot Book" sure did well by me.

6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    A mate of mine used to have a Beetle with 6v electrics. He cut a little notch in the alternator pulley so he could turn the car off at the lights, go around the back with a piece of cord and zip start the car like a lawn mower. He got the best reactions from other motorists and pedestrians etc...

7. TeleDrifter

TeleDrifter Tele-Afflicted

Oct 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Mine was a 61, 6 volt, drove it thru a bitchin' cold CNY winter. Like driving a meat freezer. Started everyday but Christmas eve, -22F. Come spring some kid home on leave from the army drunk driving his dad's LTD crushes it in front of my house..Oh well....

8. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    1st car was a twice-handed-down, over 200k '68 bug in the washed out light blue. Remember our pals pooling together all our change and putting .76 cents in and it would run for a few days... a real tank as far as sturdiness & reliability. Driver-side rear floorboard completely rusted out so you could see pavement racing underneath, one of it's many "features."

IMO, the new ones are only a slight improvement of the ladyBugs of the past decade or so... not impressed in the least.

9. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

10. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    My buddy has a 1968 all original, not molested sitting in his backyard. Hasn't been touched in 20 years. I think he would give it to me if I asked. I don't have anywhere to put it. But I am thinking about it.

11. KBing

KBing Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2009
    NJ (Exit 4)
    Love the old bugs...my '63 is the one in the middle of this photo I took around 1972.

Attached Files:

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I had a 69 squareback when I was 16, we have a 69 bug in the driveway... it needs a battery and we are probably gonna sell it soon as no one is driving it.

13. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2010
    Massachusetts
    My buddy had one for his 1st car and used to set lit candles across the dash for the defroster.

14. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I had a 1960 with 36K miles on it back in '77. It was 36 HP & I believe had 'pull start' instructions in the owners manual should the need arise. Great car until I bent the rear axle after a snap-spin out!

15. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    New England
    My old '65 - the Idiot book saved me a few times as well...
    [​IMG]

16. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2008
    St. Pete
    when I was in HS, the vw crew was in full effect. I would love an aircooled, 66 or earlier, or notch, or singlecab. I have to make do with 3 new ones, lol.

also: classiccamber.com

17. scrumley

scrumley Tele-Meister

Jul 20, 2011
    Portland, OR
    My daily driver for the past 11 years has been my '67 Ghia. It's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It's never left me stranded, and gets 38mpg on long trips. The only downsides are the unwanted conversations with strangers and the ankle-warmer... err heater.

18. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    last one I owned cost me $38.75. I paid more than that in fines when they finally towed it away! But I got some great miles and good times in it.

19. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    mine was a white 63' $75 great car wish i had her today

20. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2011
    South Florida
    Herbie was my first Love when I was around 4-5 yrs old. I loved ole #51.

21. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Same here; I saw The Love Bug at an all-too-impressionable age and it haunts me to this day. I had a '64 Beetle for a few years in the 70's/80's that I loved, but it began to vapor lock in that hot humid SoFla climate. When it started to sag a bit in the middle from a rusty floorpan, I sold it to some guy who gave me $50 for it. It hadn't run in months, but he came out, fiddled with it a bit and drove it away in a cloud of blue smoke.

I'd never owned anything but VWs until about 4 years ago, but I find the whole lineup pretty uninspiring (and unreliable) these days. :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.