Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

VVR - whole amp vs power tube scaling?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Che_Guitarra, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2012
    Perth, Australia
    I'm readying all my parts to build a 2061X 20W Marshall Lead and Bass. It's the loudest 20W amp i've ever heard so i'm going to install the VVR kit I have in my parts bin.

To anyone with a decent working knowledge of VVR - what do you think sounds best - scaling the whole amp or just the power section?

2. kleuck

kleuck Tele-Holic

Oct 16, 2010
    France
    I don't really like VVR, changes too much the feel of the amp imo, anyway best is to scale only the power amp, lowering the preamp voltage leads to a softer darker more bluesy sound.

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I have read the VVR works better if you just scale the PI and back and put a volume control before the PI.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I did VVR in a little single-ended amp. Tried both scaling the entire amp and just the power tube. I didn't like the preamp scaled. Just as kleck said, too soft and dark for me. Having it on the power amp section worked really nicely, though. It opened up a lot of different textures depending on preamp, master and voltage setting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.