Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox VT20X or AV15?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by hdvades, Jul 11, 2017.

1. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I just got the VT20X last week. I'm liking it a lot. Went with it because it was a little less expensive compared to the AV15. Pros are all the factory presets, user preset options and large variety of effects, tones etc. On the other hand the AV15 is a simpler modeling amp in a good way. I like the amp models available on the AV a little better than the VT series and the effects are adequate for my purposes. It would have been nice if it came with two channels like the larger AV's. I haven't tried the AV so I'm wondering if anyone has played them back to back and if so what are your thoughts or opinions of these two amps. I'm tempted to return the VT and get an AV just not sure.

wblynch likes this.

2. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The AV has really nice, warm cleans. Probably the best I've heard out of a SS amp. But the distortion has a bit of a ragged sound to it. That distortion tone persists thru all of the models, whereas the VTX has a bigger difference in tone between models and more accurately simulates the different models.

3. Zidd

Zidd TDPRI Member

May 21, 2017
    British Columbia
    Just bought a VTX today. Sounds warm and gorgeous. I'll get back to you when I get to spend more time with it.

4. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I don't know if there's a significant sound difference between them. I sort of gathered the AV series was that much closer to a tube amp, but I've talked to a few people who have played both and find the differences really small, if noticeable at all. For me the VTX series makes more sense because you can play it just as simply as the AV amps by just putting them in manual mode. But then if you hit on a combination of settings that really nails a sound you're after, you can just hit one of the preset bank buttons on the VTX and save it as a preset. With the AV amps as I understand it, it's ONLY workable in manual mode - there are various amp models but no opportunity to save anything.

That may or may not be important to you but it's pretty big to me. I find some pretty nice settings sometime, but it can be a PIA when I'm in the flow of playing to go make all of the right adjustments to get to another group of settings I really liked and then find the original setup again. I personally love presets - not the one's that come on the amp (although a few of those have been decent starting points), but just the ability to save my own groups of settings...

In terms of the models offered on the AV, are they different than those on the VTX? There are fewer of them and I was assuming they were sort of a subset but more simply named. I could be wrong though - are they trying to model particular amps or just going for general sounds?

-Ray

hdvades likes this.

5. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I tried a VT20X on Friday. It is a kickass sounding amp and simple to use. I ordered one in Racing Green this morning as soon as MF was open. It'll be fun to see how things play out between my THR's, GT40 and it. Gonna have a good time.

hdvades and raysachs like this.

6. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Cool, hope you like it. I'll be interested in your reaction, particularly relative to the Yamaha, which I've never played. I returned the GT40 - it had its strengths for sure, but I just didn't bond with it...

-Ray

JasonKingsX likes this.

7. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    Thanks Ray. I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts. It'll be fun to compare them. Funny thing about my Yamaha's... especially the THR10X... there may be newer amps that come along and do things better but it will always have a place in my heart like an old classic vintage amp. Which it's technically not but in the world of modeling it kinda is. It just does what it does so dang well. If you get a chance to play one do so. Of the channels, my go to that I use 90% of the time are Brown I (think modded JCM800), Brown II (Soldano) and Clean (Fender Deluxe). The Engl models and 5150 are great but not my cup of tea.

Sorry to hear the GT40 didn't work out for you but I understand. I had thought about returning it once I decided to order the VOX but before I did I played it again, went through some of the presets I've worked up on it and realized I truly wanted to keep it. It's capable of great sound but you have to be willing to be a part time sound engineer to get it there. Which is fine and I enjoy it... but sometimes I just want to play and with a variety of great tones and MY preset library on the GT40 is far from finished.

8. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Agree with everything you said and I'm most likely going to keep this VT. They do model specific amps. The one thing I liked about the AV was the amp models are more similar to the Vox Mini 5 Rhythm I have. What I ended up doing was A/B'ing both and saving the preset on the VT. I just play at home but the few people I know are always amazed with the Mini 5 and I like the fact it can use batteries. I do really like the new VT and use the amp models up to the AC30TB and User A although the other models are good if that's the sound you're after. What I did was d/l the user manual for all three amps and compare the amp models. The VT is more versatile that the AV series and has the preset option which is nice. The big negative for the AV15 is it only has one channel and the 30 watt version is a lot more $$$, +1 for the VT.

raysachs likes this.

9. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Nothing against the GT-40 nor the Mustang I tried but I returned both.. Cool video and the first time I've ever seen a LH Strat with a RH neck.

JasonKingsX likes this.

10. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I didn't return the GT40 because I couldn't get good sound from it - I'd worked out a few presets I was pretty happy with and I'm sure I'd have gotten as many as I'd needed in time. I just didn't think it improved on the Vox in any way that mattered to me and I really did NOT enjoy the interface. I'm impressed as hell by the interface and the technology and I like app-controllers for all kinds of things, like my thermostat and light timers and stuff. ;) But for a guitar amp, I just didn't. I didn't like the on-board controls for much beyond just scrolling through and choosing a preset, but when it came down to adjusting stuff and just playing with settings, I was a lot more comfortable using the app, and I didn't really enjoy feeling like I needed to have the app ready any time I was gonna play. And as much as I like presets (and I really do like them a lot - they save me a lot of time once I have 'em dialed in), sometimes I just really like turning the Vox to manual mode, choosing an amp model, and just spinning the dials like I would on the old Blues Jr or Peavy Classic I've had in the past. Which is how I worked out my presets to begin with... I just didn't enjoy that part of the interface on the GT40.

So it wasn't a substantive problem with the GT40 as much as a stylistic one. I'd have gotten all the good sounds I needed from it with a little bit of time. But I got those with the Vox really quickly - I felt like I had it dialed within a few days with just minor tweaks after that. And it's a good deal less $$ and more fun for the way I interact with an amp. So, ultimately an easy call, but if I hadn't given the GT40 a shot, I'd have always wondered. If the Katana 50 wasn't limited to two presets, I'd no doubt give that a try as well, just in case it came a little closer to the kick I got with the Blues Cube Hot. I'm sure I'd like the Yamaha (probably the "C" model though) or the new Vox Adio, but I don't have any need or desire to spend twice as much (got the VT20X on sale for $150) for the miniaturization of those amps. The VT20X is plenty small enough for my needs.

-Ray

hdvades likes this.

11. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I think the Yamaha THR10C and your Strats would be a match made in heaven Ray. But yes, the Yamaha's aren't cheap. I tried the Katana and it was no where near what I would want even as cheap as it is. Love the sounds out of the Vox but I'd recommend that folks buy them from places with solid return/exchange policies. Some have humming/grounding issues. I'd like to see the manufacturers offer mid semi-pro level modelers. Instead of a $150 30 watt 10inch combo with great R&D on the modeling side in a cheap chassis... balance it out. Offer a $300 dollar version with birch plywood, upgraded speaker and a nice footswitch included. With solid amp electronics and beefy controls.

Zidd likes this.

12. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Not ripping on the VT20X...it's very good but I returned it for a AV15 and I'm happier.

13. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    What did you like about the AV15 over the VTX?

14. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Well several things...The main reason was I would get a lot of random static between notes especially with my Telecaster (no static with AV) . Second, I prefer a simpler interface which doesn't require/need to be connected to the internet. And third, it basically uses the amp models that are also used with the Mini 5 Rhythm which I like. In the VTX's defense, it has a ton more options and the convenience of saving multiple user presets. I know it's in my head and subjective, but the AV sounds better to me. I stick with the first four amp models usually with some gain and reverb.

raysachs likes this.

15. Zidd

Zidd TDPRI Member

May 21, 2017
    British Columbia
    I really love the sounds I'm getting out of the vtx20.
    I'm concerned about the issues involved in changing that tube down the road. From what I've been told, you basically have to take the amp apart.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

16. wblynch

wblynch TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    Hi, I just listed my VT-20X in the classified for anyone interested. It's a great sounding amp.

17. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    take the back off your 15, you will thank me later.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.