Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VOX Valvetronix

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by blowtorch, Feb 28, 2013.

1. noakim

noakim NEW MEMBER!

Jun 2, 2013
    I play my AD15VT at a low volume. Find that I actually need a tube screamer and Boss compression pedal to get a fuller tone. (This inadvertently may not be a bad thing for pedal lovers, I just leave the amp effect on delay). Find it rather noisy for single coils. Agree with general consensus that the high gain models aren't great, sound tinny. Though the boutique OD sounds interesting. UK 80s okay as well. Vox models are good. Black 2x12 best setting for a Strat. Also one of the edit buttons came loose really quickly.

Not into modding amps. As is, my Roland Microcube sounds much better through headphones and even plugged in direct at church. Haven't tested the Vox direct...

2. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Can anyone confirm that the speaker is muted when you run the line out to headphones or a recording desk? I've been looking into amp sims for recording lately, and it occurred to me that one of these Valvetronix amps could be used as such if the speaker is muted. (Sleeping family members and all that hoo ha.)

3. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    Yes.
    My AD30VT mutes when you plug the headphones in. Very rarely do it though as I hate playing with headphones...

4. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. Since my last post I came across an SOS review that said the direct recorded sound from the line out sucks. Any comments on that? Direct recording is the main reason I'd be considering one.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

5. Spike55

Spike55 TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Spartanburg SC
    I have the ad60vtx, it does bypass the speaker in headphones, but does not mute the speaker in line out, but both are adjustable in signal to the recorder. hope that helps!
    I run my lineout to the mixer then into my computer by usb2.0, works great only thing is the speaker is still playing and can feed thru the mix you are singing thru, good or bad, not sure, but I normally cut out my vocal track and redub anyway, It has to get better than it was the first time, LOL

6. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    I came across the manual for the AD30VT this weekend, and was reading through it yesterday - the first time I've looked at it properly after having had the amp for several years...

What it says there is that the valve reactor part of the circuit is used to simulate the power amp and tranny part of a real valve amp, and has nothing t do with the pre-amp sections. From what the manual was saying, the headphones/line out signal is actually prior to the valve reactor part of the circuit, so your comment about the line out might be correct. I can't really comment though as I've never used it. I've not recorded with the amp and hate playing with headphones...

7. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Yeah that's what the review said. The valve reactor circuit is supposed to be important to the valve-like feel, so you'd want to have that in the circuit if possible when recording. I might be better off looking at a Tonelab pedal for recording then, as it seems to have the same or a similar valve reactor circuit available for recording.

I was just thinking if it has the same direct sound for recording, one of the smaller used AD amps would be a similar price to a Tonelab but you'd also get an amp in the deal as a bonus. Doesn't look like it'll work out for me though, as recording is may main consideration. I'm already sorted for live sound.

Thanks for the info chaps.

8. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Kenora, ON
    Signal goes to first op amp. Then the digital effects etc are mixed in. One more op amp before line/headphones out. From there to the tube and finally the SS power amp.

9. Spike55

Spike55 TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Spartanburg SC
    I cannot buy them now, so I will share some info, there are two of the Vox ad60tdh heads on e bay right now, one used with the small pedal and one old stock looks brand new, the used one is a great starting price and I know it was reducer from $250 down to $175, great sounding amps and much before there time.
    If I had the cash I would have one of them, LOL

10. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

Oct 10, 2012
    West
    Im still waiting for the right play at home amp to come up locally here. Im pretty sure I could live with either a VOX or Fender. In fact I seem to be fixated on those two amps. LOL. Though I tend to play lower volume, loudness is not a consideration, my cat doesnt mind and all the houses on my street are an acre apart. Valvetronix 15s and 30s (around $100) seem to be regulars on C/L as do SCxDs, (around $220). The fact that the Vox is a hundred less isnt really a factor if there is 100 more tone in the Fender. Im not much for pedals and refuse to modify an amp. If I dont like the way it sounds I will get one that works for me.

question
    Have any of you played both models, the VOX vt and the Fender xD enough to pick a favorite and why. I suspect they would be similar as far as end result.
    Thx ;)

11. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

Will this VC-12 also work on my AD50VT as the standard footswitch is a real pain?

12. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

Right, have found out this won't work with mine but the VFS5 will.

13. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    Ontario
    I owned the AD60VT many years ago, as well as the VT40+ for a year.

I currently own a Tonelab SE and Vox's newer Stomplab,

I tried a different speaker in the VT40+ (Eminence Rajun Cajun) and I did not like the difference. The new speaker colored the amp darker, and took away a lot of what I liked about the original speaker...a bit of sparkle for lack of a better term. It is my belief that Vox chose their speaker carefully, so that the "modeled" amps sound faithful through the VT+ speaker. I really liked the amp!

One of the mods I did was the headphone-out-mute mod, which allows a player to either mute or not-mute the speaker when using the headphone jack. I would run the headphone out into my Yamaha DS-60 (which is essentially a Power Engine...much like Tech 21's powered speaker).

This allowed me to used the Vox's speaker as well as an additional 12" powered speaker.

The mod is explained here:

http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/headphones-out-mod-t4535.html

I think all of the Valvetronix and Tonelab line are exceptional sounding! Much more warmth than the Mustang's I have tried. I have tried four times to fall in love with the Fender Modeling line, and each time I felt it was cold and hard...

14. Drjayz

Drjayz TDPRI Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Texas
    Mainly to Spike55, I see that you owned an AD60 Vt... I was wondering if you ever had loss of sound for seemingly no reason? Ex.: this time it worked great all night, next time it may light up, but no sound!...next time maybe/maybe not... No rhyme or apparent reason... Not a heat or cold problem.. Just No Workey! One guy said plug a short guitar cable from loop send-to-return... I did... It worked twice! ... Another said, it's the power adjustment dial (right above the loop send/return jacks... Maybe so, because slapping it there worked to bring it back on temporarily for awhile... Any experience with this? Drjayzs

15. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2008
    Louisiana, USA
    I haven't read through all the posts yet, but I'll add that the VT40+ is one of the few amps I've bought new and sold! It had that terrible buzz/hum, which made it 90% unusable. I could really work, and dial in a good sound, but if I cranked it up it would make all kinds of nasty noise. I liked it at REAL low volume but that was it. SAD for Vox! One of my favorite brands but that just wasnt any good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.